FZ1 2008 or 2009?

Im buying a FZ1 this weekend. I found a new 08 for $7500 and a 09 for $9500. These are out the door prices. Where ther any major changes from 08 to 09? Im definetly leaning toward the 08 because of price but would like to know of any differances. Thanks

None

Im buying a FZ1 this weekend. I found a new 08 for $7500 and a 09 for $9500. These are out the door prices. Where ther any major changes from 08 to 09? Im definetly leaning toward the 08 because of price but would like to know of any differances. Thanks

The only diff. is price and Colour. If they are both new I would go with the 08'. 2010 they changed the fuel mapping slightly. You probably will down the road anyway so it really doesn't matter.:icon_beer:

Was going to say the same. Save the cash as there's no difference outside of appearance. Congrats!! That's $2k in mods you can have!

Good price.

That's very nice price. I paid $7800 out the door for a left over '07 in '08. Getting a new one for that price is awesome. I agree with NH. Just tell the wife it cost $9500 and get your mod addiciton started.

That's a nice OTD price on the '08. There was a price increase with the '09 model and I think that is reflected in the OTD higher price. So what color are you getting?

I would suggest that you look for a lower mile Gen II used bike (2006 - current) and not buy new. The one I bought may be unusual but I bought a 2008 Red FZ1 with 1700 miles for $4300 from a private party. I think its at least worth your time to consider used. It is nice to know the complete history of the bike, however, I would rather let someone take the depreciation hit on a new bike. Good luck.

I would suggest that you look for a lower mile Gen II used bike (2006 - current) and not buy new. The one I bought may be unusual but I bought a 2008 Red FZ1 with 1700 miles for $4300 from a private party. I think its at least worth your time to consider used. It is nice to know the complete history of the bike, however, I would rather let someone take the depreciation hit on a new bike. Good luck.

Wow, 4300 for a 08 & 6000 for a 09. This economy has really gone to the dogs.

Definitely get the 08 and save some cash for mods!

$7500 is a great OTD price. I was really lucky and got my leftover 08 in July 09 for $6792 out the door. The showroom price was only $5999, but I had to pay sales tax and credit card fees. I love my FZ1 and I have no regrets !!!

What you didn't get at that great price is the 12 month factory warranty*. I purchased a new 'O8 half way through '09 for 7300. I noticed the rear wheel powder coating was blotchy and mentioned it to my dealer at first service. Because I had a new bike warranty, the dealer ordered me up a new rear wheel and tire - parts and labor- free.
I agree you got a great deal on your bike and if you have the service records (and because Yamahas are well made) you'll probably be OK. However, there's some peace of mind and practical value in a factory warranty.

*of course, if your seller purchased an extended 4 yr. warranty before he sold you the bike, you're golden!

Last edited:
What you didn't get at that great price is the 12 month factory warranty*. I purchased a new 'O8 half way through '09 for 7300. I noticed the rear wheel powder coating was blotchy and mentioned it to my dealer on first service. Because I had the new bike factory warranty, the dealer ordered my up a new rear wheel and tire - parts and labor were free.
I agree you got a great deal on your bike and if you have the service records ( and because Yamahas are well made) you'll probably be OK. However, there is some value in the insurance factor of a warranty.

*of course, if your seller purchased an extended 4 yr. warranty before he sold you the bike, you're golden!
Unfortunately, no extended warranty here :) It is nice to know the complete history of the bike. Hopefully things will go well on the used bike and you on yours.

I read in a magazine article, I think Cycle World, that they softened the suspension in 09 due to custmer complaints about a harsh ride. I also read they updated the FI for better drivability in 2010. I paid $9470 OTD for my 09 brand new with a 5yr extended warranty. Buy the 08 and spend the 2K on upgrades. You know you will. We all do!:shine:

Last edited:
I was OTD with my brand new 08 and 5yr warranty for 7100 and couldn't be happier. Love the bike no one in my area has anything like it so it get a little attention when people are trying to figure out what the FZ is. Good luck with the bike, ride safe, and have fun.

ive the grey 08 bought used for 7500 canadian, low miles and new skins.

only mods so far are frame sliders and a dc hookup with mount in the upper cowl for the gps, an alarm, lower fairing, and the tail eliminator of course...

folks around here arnt quite sure what to make of it, ive just one small fz grapic on it so unless they look closely, they have no idea what it is.

the kz and bandit are simmilar in what they are trying to accomplish, but you have to hand it to yammy for getting the balance right.

for the money its a great all round bike, no complaints here.

keep the shiny side up, and enjoy your new ride.

Back