FZ1, 1 Step closer to my liking

IT's taken me a while to figure out how I wanted to build up the FZ1. While I still don't have a solid master plan, I have a rough idea for a few mods and fixes to make it mine.

A few weeks back I installed the FZ8 headlight and now some Renthal Streetfighter bars. I'm waiting for some signal mounts to install short stalks, but they've been on B/O for a month. I may move to protons for use some LED strips. I'm also waiting on FZ8 risers to come in to drop the bars about 1-1.25" lower than the SV risers currently installed

539898_3901259857321_1140003165_n.jpg

If you never carry a passenger, you should get a seat cowl and Evotech Exhaust hanger and lose the pillion brackets and pegs. :D Looking damn nice now though!

I really like the FZ8 look and would love to do that to my bike. so where do I find one and is it bolt on? do things need to be modified?
Bolt on. I did the same mod. You go to your dealer and order everything on the micro-fiche for the 2012 FZ8 headlight, right down to all the nuts and bolts. It helps a lot of you find a dealer with a FZ8 that you can look at and take close-up pictures of it, because when you get the pile of parts you’ll be scratching your head trying to figure out what goes where. Oh, and by the time I got done, I think I had close to a grand in it. I bought the standard mirrors for the FZ8 and had to drill and reverse tap the brake reservoir for the right mirror. The lug was there, but not drilled. It’s a 10 X 1.25 reverse thread. Get a bottom tap, because the hole that you'll drill does not go all the way through. Drill size is 11/32. Although they don’t look that cool. I love mirrors, and the standard FZ8 mirrors are super nice. They adjust on three axis, and are super solid. If you want the FZ8 mirrors, you also have to order the FZ8 clutch perch. It has the mount for the mirror in it, whereas the FZ1 doesn’t. There’s a wire cage that holds the cables on the standard frontend of the FZ1. I looked at it trying to figure out how to remove it, and the final, easiest way to do it was to cut it off. The standard headlight harness will work. You just use one of the headlight plugs, and then you just fold up the excess length and zip-tie it off behind the headlight where there’s plenty of room. The brake line mount under the bottom triple is made for both the FZ1 & FZ8 if you’re still using the standard lines. It just comes apart, and is turned ninety degrees to accommodate the different angle that the lines have to go with the new headlight. I did this at first, but then went to braided stainless lines and got rid of the block all together. Sorry if I’m rambling on, but all of this took a good bit of studying to figure out, so I’m trying to save you some trouble. Another thing, you’ll find when you do the speedo that it ends up being loose on the rubber mounts. Just add larger washers to squish the rubber grommets better. Oh here’s another that popped into my head. The horn mount for the FZ1 is not used on the new setup. It moves over and goes to the bottom of the headlight mount. Took me a week to notice that! Ended up losing 15lbs off the front end. Of course there’s no wind protection now, but I just use it as a street-fighter now. Not a touring bike….

Last edited:
So let me get this straight, if I go to the dealer and order all the parts for the 2011 Fz8 headlight page I can modify my Fz1 to the Fz8 headlight setup.

Did you ever write down a step by step walk through? I could kind of follow your previous write up but I'm not that mechanical yet.

Back