FZ 8 to FZ 1 Parts Interchangeability

Anyone think we could start a parts interchangeability list for the Gen II FZ1 and FZ8?

I know the frames are supposed to be the same and the FZ 8 has rear sets (as compared to the FZ1). :tup:

I believe they share the same frame, sub-frame and swingarm. It is the same engine case but a lot of internals have changed including gearing. The head looks the same from outside but is machined differently inside. Fork tubes are still 43 mm I think. I think there's a LOT of third party stuff that will bolt to either bike like FE Kits, exhaust hangers, etc....

The FZ8 has no CAT in the header. They went with longer and more narrow down pipes to eliminate the need for the CAT and the EXUP which it also lacks. Of course, putting those pipes on the FZ1 would decrease performance for us!

Without having one nearby to compare, I can't vouch for what would or would not bolt on. But if you look at the suppliers of aftermarket stuff, they are now listing stuff as FZ1/FZ8 installable. :D

My immediate interest is in the black passenger foot peg hangers and black rear set pilot pegs/shifter.

None of my local dealers has a FZ8 yet. My concern is with how Yamaha routed the shift rod on the FZ8 and if they modified the frame at all to get the rod through the frame. I know a lot of the rear sets place the shift rod outside of the frame rails. I never really liked that set up. The rod running through the rail is a pretty neat detail, IMHO.

I never liked the silver hangers on my '08 and knew I could replace them with factory black FZ1 parts but was torn between the factory stuff and a set of rear sets.

Hopefully one of the locals will get a FZ8 here shortly and I can do an inspection. Just thought maybe someone might've beat me too it which would allow me to just go ahead and order the goods!

Powder or paint the buggers

2vw8g7c.jpg

I was looking at one and was kinda daydreaming over the factory powder coated black handlebar risers (lower). Dealer couldn't even pull up microfiche to price 'em yet though.

Powder or paint the buggers

2vw8g7c.jpg

That's an option but it doesn't get me into the rear set geometry of the newer FZ8 pilot pegs.

FWIW, I did find a new (a few) FZ8 at Beechmont Motorsports this past weekend. I eyeballed them and finger measured, I think they'll bolt up and still allow the through frame shifter rod.

The silver inserts on the pilot pegs are a different shape tho and will need to be ordered also. The factory FZ1 inserts will not work. The passenger pegs will not work either as Yamaha changed the location of the muffler mount point on the FZ8.

I was looking at one and was kinda daydreaming over the factory powder coated black handlebar risers (lower). Dealer couldn't even pull up microfiche to price 'em yet though.

I have a set of '95 Triumph Tiger risers on my '08 FZ1. They are black and were just taking up space in the carriage house. They look identical to the new FZ8 parts which are much shorter than the FZ1s. I think many different model risers would work. I'd check the local salvage yard prior to putting out the cash for a new set.

Back