FZ-1 Gen II - Temp Sensor Major Issue

Kevin7

Hey folks. New to this forum, but found that you guys really know what you are talking about so I wanted to swing something by you before I head to the stealership.

To set the scene, the last ride of 2022 I was riding on the highway cruising around 90 and eventually my temp light came on.. Never happened to me before. I pulled over, let it cool down, and rode the rest of the way at about 70mph and it never came back on. I put it in the shed and figured I would solve it another day.

This year when I pulled out the bike my battery was dead dead, had to get a new one. Put a new one in and I had all kinds of error codes (12, 14, 19, 21). I cleared them and they have not come back, but there is something wrong with the temp.

The temp sensor seemed like it was working at all. It was only staying at 120 F when I was riding around town on a test ride (about 15 mins) after replacing the battery. Engine was super hot. I shut it off and turned it back on and boom it was reading 234 F. I figured temp sensor was going bad. Fast forward a week and I receive my china made temp sensor from ebay. Put it in, and it only reads LO. I was idling it in my yard for 4 mins with occasional revving and no temp reading... just LO. I shut it down. Went into diagnostic mode and when I pushed the reset and select buttons together and turned the key on it showed a temp of HI. Flip the engine start button to on and it goes back to LO. This is when the engine is HOT HOT HOT from idling.

Any thoughts? Should I get another temp sensor genuine yamaha? Is it something else.

Hi, and welcome to one of the quietest active forums on the internet! 🤣

I've never had issues with my cooling systems BUT if I had to replace any kind of sensor, I'd definitely go OEM. I'd go ahead and do a coolant flush as well and check to make sure the fans are kicking on when they are supposed to.

Hope you are able to get it sorted!

Thanks Doc.
I will grab an OEM sensor, flush and inspect the radiator, change the thermostat, and check the wiring make sure there isnt any unintentional grounding out. The fans rely on the temp sensor, so with it not working, they dont come on. When it does read HI they do come on so they are functional.

Back