FYI...got a badly kinked fuel line from the factory

Drainfade

This is an FYI for all you new FZ1 owners...the old guys probably already know about the fuel line kinking potential.

Here's the story....

I popped the tank for the new Fizzy's 600 mile service to see a shocking site. Right when I cracked the tank I saw that the fuel line was pretty badly bent. I looked closer and saw that as I dropped the tank it bent so bad I have no idea how fuel got through that thing but then again modern FI bikes have some serious pressure from that fuel pump. Overall the bike ran fine...I had to start it twice at a gas station and it was a bit lumpy on idle...I think the fuel line failed and kinked within the last 25 miles upto 600.

The story gets better when I took it down to the shop I bought the bike from to fix it. I played stupid and told the service writer the bike was hesitating and felt like I had a fuel issue. He dropped the 600 mile service bomb on me and I was like...it's not a TB synch issue...trust me. Then he said that Yamaha would question the issue if they didn't have proof of the 600 mile service through them, at that point I pulled the gloves off. I was like, "I'll be straight up with you, I pulled the tank to synch the Tbodies and saw a seriously kinked fuel line, like the internal structure has failed and it kinked due to a sever angle when it was assembled at the factory". The guy looked at me with an interesting debacle that I just dropped the bomb. I then asked how much the 600 mile service was...he says $250...I was like "sorry that's not going to happen, I'll do it myself." Then he asks me if I have the right tools and I prove that I'm more than prepared for a little 600 mile service.

He said he'll get back to me in a day or 2 and I stormed out of there. I was pissed...there was no way in hell I was gonna let some slimy stealership strong arm me into paying them for a service that I'm more than qualified to do myself. I also read the limited warranty when I got home and nowhere does it say that I have to pay them for service, I just have to prove that the proper maintenance has been done with reciepts and service records. Man I was pissed...so I waited.

I got a call on Day 2...they had ordered the part and would call me when the bike was ready to be picked up, early next week. I guess I called their bluff..they better not pull that sh*t again 'cause I will shut them down again.

Here's to saving money and learning about my bike myself...a big finger to the stealerships out there. :nono:

Well I am glad to hear that you didn't fall for their bs. And then dealers wonder why they have such bad reputations :shaking head:

I kinked mine pretty good when trying to take it off for service and I thought it looked bad enough to cause a fuel starvation problem. I ordered a new one from my dealer just in case it did cause a problem. 13,000 miles later my new line is still in the tool box and the original is still on the bike. It appeared to me that ther was an outer covering on the line that may "look" like it's worse than the inner line really is.

I kinked mine pretty good when trying to take it off for service and I thought it looked bad enough to cause a fuel starvation problem. I ordered a new one from my dealer just in case it did cause a problem. 13,000 miles later my new line is still in the tool box and the original is still on the bike. It appeared to me that ther was an outer covering on the line that may "look" like it's worse than the inner line really is.

Yea that's exactly right about an outer and inner structure. If you pinch it and catch yourself you're fine....the longer you leave it pinched the inner structure will fail eventually which is what happened to me. Another tidbit is that when it did fail I believe I was riding the bike and I had to ride it down to the dealer to get fixed and it was fine, clearly the pressure from the fuel pump was enough to get enough fuel to the FI, I was taking it easy but atleast it didn't leave me stranded.
I have to finish the 600 mile service in next week or so and the fact that I don't trust any dealer I'm going to open up the tank and make sure it's not pinched again.

Back