Fuzzy one Mirror Mod

Yeah, one yellow, one white. Yellow is a hyper yellow bulb, it's insane freaking bright. Usually, when I'm behind a car, I can light their whole car up yellow inside. Makes me smile a bit. They just get away from me into the next lane over.

On the road, the first caption points to the turn where Casey (Envy) went down. The second is where I put my bike down, third is where Casey landed. It looks better on the big picture I have. I forgot that I saved it like that.

I brought all the stainless hardware I need for the mirror mod today from work. I'll be going with the 1/4-20 x 1-1/4" Button Heads with Lock Nuts. I'm also going to file the mount to retain the swivel feature. Now I just need some warmer temps to get the job done.

I brought all the stainless hardware I need for the mirror mod today from work. I'll be going with the 1/4-20 x 1-1/4" Button Heads with Lock Nuts. I'm also going to file the mount to retain the swivel feature. Now I just need some warmer temps to get the job done.

Awwww, come on Billy. Take it all into the kitchen like our friend over the pond! :D

Awwww, come on Billy. Take it all into the kitchen like our friend over the pond! :D

You know I would Eric. The problem is that I'm two flights up on the second floor. That could be an issue. :D

Chris has got it made in the shade over there! If I were him I'd consider myself special. I don't think there is another married guy on either forum who would be able to do what he has done.

Bathtub

A friend of mine did an engine rebuild in his apartment (10th floor). He's married too and when I went over the engine was in the bathtub. the rest of the bike in the living room. Some women are just easier going I guess.

When I was young and newly married I brought my 1978 XS 400 up in the service elevator and stored it in my 11th floor apartment. I was sweating all the way up expecting to meet the superintendant when the elevator doors opened. :doh2:

A friend of mine did an engine rebuild in his apartment (10th floor). He's married too and when I went over the engine was in the bathtub. the rest of the bike in the living room. Some women are just easier going I guess.

When I was young and newly married I brought my 1978 XS 400 up in the service elevator and stored it in my 11th floor apartment. I was sweating all the way up expecting to meet the superintendant when the elevator doors opened. :doh2:

I did my son's XR50 rebuild in my livingroom a few years back. I'll have to post the pics for you guys. I changed it over to a motard bike for him. I'll have to dig up those pics.

Oh you would have had a lot of explaining to do that's for sure :laugh2:

Billy, just wheelie that beast right up the stairs. No problem! :D

Actually, you could zip them off the bike quickly and then take just the mirrors and mounts up and work on them while you watch TV. :tup:

Billy, just wheelie that beast right up the stairs. No problem! :D

Actually, you could zip them off the bike quickly and then take just the mirrors and mounts up and work on them while you watch TV. :tup:

Thanks Eric! I didn't even think of doing that! Alright, and I'm off Wednesday too. I'll remove them tomorrow when I get home from work. I had better mark them (left and right). Great idea Eric.

Needless to say, I didn't get a chance this evening to remove the mirrors. By the time I got home I had another 4 to 6 inches of snow on the ground. Just lovely!! I'll go down tomorrow morning and take them off to work on them upstairs. I'll take some pics and maybe some video if my son gives me a hand. It should be fun.

Thanks to Eric for the "heads up" idea of just taking the mirrors upstairs to work on. I went down and had them off in 10 minutes, grabbed my trusty vise grip, dremel package, and headed back to the warmth of my roost. I'm gonna get started in a few minutes and will hopefully have it done soon with some pics to post. See you guys later!!!

Nice! I am working from home today. Unfortunately, the work I want to do would mean bringing the whole bike inside. ;)

We got about 8" of snow here. Not too bad considering we dodged the last two east coast whoppers!

Good luck and can't wait to see the pics!

Mirror Mod Done!

I have to say it went very well. I was worried at first cutting that rivet, but once it was out, everything went smoothly. The nice thing about doing them upstairs was that I was able to have the "Fuzzy" page up on the screen to follow along.

Here is the first mirror assembly before removing the rivet.....
FZ1MirrorMod002.jpg

I clamped the assembly together with my trusty vise grip to harness the spring washers.....
FZ1MirrorMod004.jpg

With a cutting wheel, I made two cuts in the shape of an "X". I then used pliers to push the slices together and the rivet came right out.
FZ1MirrorMod005.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oFQu69420M]YouTube - FZ1 Mirror Mod 011.avi[/ame]

Once it was out I used some paint and dipped the mirror mount slightly down onto the paint can lid, leaving paint on the three protrusions. I then took the mirror and lined it up on top and pushed them together in order to leave marks which will be grinded down.
FZ1MirrorMod006.jpg

I used the cutting wheel again because I couldn't find my needle file set. I made angle cuts on each paint line and then slowly rubbed the wheel back and forth making the indent. I smoothed the edges down with a file tip on my dremel tool. I wanted to make sure to retain the folding feature.
FZ1MirrorMod012.jpg

I drilled out the hole in the base with a 1/4" drill bit, and then used a stainless 1/4-20 x 1-1/4" Button Head Bolt, loaded the spring washers back in place, inserted a galvanized 1/4x1" fender washer, and sealed it up with a 1/4" nylon locking nut.
FZ1MirrorMod007.jpg

I took it apart after making sure the indents lined up positively and removed the rubber boot. Using the Dremel Tool again, I removed the inner lip from the boot which is shown below. This way the boot will sit flush again around the mirror's stem.
FZ1MirrorMod013.jpg

This was what was left of the lip.
FZ1MirrorMod015.jpg

I assembled the mirror again and check as I tightened the nut down, a little at a time, until the mirror was perfectly tight and still was able to fold. It worked perfectly!
FZ1MirrorMod008.jpg

I pulled the rubber boot down in place and low and behold, it fit right against the stem as it did stock.
FZ1MirrorMod009.jpg

I got started on the second mirror which went a bit faster than the first and before I knew it I was done! They both came out awesome. I can't wait to get them back on the bike.
FZ1MirrorMod017.jpg

Before even mounting them on the bike, I can already see how much of a difference it is going to make. If the weekend is in the 40's as they are saying, I may even get to do the BikeVis light kit too! Thanks for looking!!!

Thanks Eric, :cheers:I actually had a blast doing it. It seems like years since I was able to work on something for the bike. I know its only been a couple of months, but it feels like an eternity.

Thanks Eric, :cheers:I actually had a blast doing it. It seems like years since I was able to work on something for the bike. I know its only been a couple of months, but it feels like an eternity.

I know what you mean!!! I was just daydreaming about riding at lunch time today :D

By the way the mirrors turned out great :tup:

Last edited:
Thanks Aaron. If my son wasn't so busy with his Xbox today, I would have done video instead. The one small vid was me holding the camera with one hand and grinding with the other. Thanks again!

Back