Fuzeblock FZ-1 Install

Wannabe

There is no doubt that the FZ1 is a capable SuperSport tourer. It definitely has the "sport" portion covered with aplomb. Out-of-the-box, the FZ1 could use a bit o' help with the touring side.

To that end, here are some pictures of my accessory fuse box install. I opted for Fuzeblock's FZ-1 due to its small size and integrated relay. Yamaha did not waste a lot of space designing our marvelous bike so small is important. God forgot to bestow me with a great memory so switched accessories are also important.
Items to hook up:

1. Heated Grips from Oxford (switched)
2 Accessory 12v socket from Powerlet (constant)
That leaves four more ports for future growth.
Removing the toolset from underneath the pillion seat is a fine place to install electrical components. Until, you need your tools. Strike that from the list. I opted to attempt to install the FZ-1 somewhere underneath the front fairing. The fairing panels are easily removed with tools from the toolset so that seems the only logical place left.
(Those with aftermarket exhausts and EXUP eliminators have other options.)

Here is the final placement of the FZ-1. It seems to be reasonably protected from the weather and road spray. I haven't tested this yet and I might need to enact weatherproofing methods if I start blowing fuses.

Custom Mount by dbascent94, on Flickr

My last bike had a lot of additional electrical farkles added: air suspension, heated grips, accessory fan switches, heated gear connections, and a battery tender piglet. Each fused individually creating a rat's nest of pain around the battery. I wanted to avoid that.

To keep things tidy, the fuse block wires were sheathed and routed underneath the airbox.

Airbox Routing by dbascent94, on Flickr

I relocated the Oxford grip control unit near the ECM. The unit is not secured but I don't think it will move much. If it rattles I will tear it all apart again and secure it with tape.

Oxford Heated Grip Controller by dbascent94, on Flickr

There really is not much room underneath the fairing to install this unit. It will take some trial and error to fit the device. A simple L bracket from Lowe's worked out better than I thought, and it was cheap. It fit the FZ-1 nicely and was strong but malleable. I had to drill out one of the holes slightly to fit the mirror bolt.

Bracket by dbascent94, on Flickr

Here is yours truly routing wires.

ME! by dbascent94, on Flickr

Close-up. I had to trim back the shielding a bit so the tank cowl would fit properly.

Wire Routing by dbascent94, on Flickr

I drilled a 1-1/8th" hole in the left fairing panel for the Powerlet 12v adapter. This will mainly be used for my iPhone so I bought a Griffin USB adapter. Bonus, it fits in there with the rubber cap over top.

12v by dbascent94, on Flickr

I use my iPhone with a Ram Mount for GPS, music, and photos. It is a great motorcycling tool.

Finished Install by dbascent94, on Flickr

The FZ-1 is powered directly from the battery and sports a 30a fuse. I used the constant power from the left marker light to trigger the relay. That used a wire tap to splice the wire. That is item #65 in the service manual and the wire is marked L/R which is the red and blue wire.

Back