full system vs slip on

skote

hi im looking to extract whatever i can out of my fz1 now is there really a worth while gain in a full system vs a slip on my bike came with a gtyr carbon fiber pipe so it didnt cost me extra...should i just save my money?.....i dont care about top end i want the low end and mid range......ive done the airbox mod the ivans flys so this is my last point of bolt on mod.....and yes i have a power commander im not unsatisfied with performance at all just always looking to improve

Well, my bike was tuned today and from stock standard it produced 137hp on the dyno last week, on 98 octane unleaded fuel.
Then todays dyno run and tune for the PC5 that I fitted (Akrapovic slip-on - with db killer in, std headers w/cat still in the header, K&N airfliter, Lars air box mod, AIS blocked) produced 144hp - running on 98 octane unleaded fuel.
A mates FZ1N was run on the dyno straight after my bike and he has the arrow header with all the mods and a cut down akra without the db killer in and it produced 147hp.
But the numbers alone dont tell the full story, as you all know anyway...

If you have money to spend go for a Full system....Akrapovic Evolution(with titanium headers) or with Stainless Steel.....You have also the Yoshi systems for 750$....

If you don't wanna spend an extra 1000$ decat your stock pipes, put on a Ignition module in addition to your PC3, and you will get the most out of your bike while not spending a fortune.

You have also the option to instal the Velocity stack to improve both your mid-range and top power.....

So what amount of money are you willing to spend to get the most out of the FZ1???

I suppose i dont want to break the bank I am going to buy the fce for sure qnd see how i like it...I know its supposed to improve midrange and velocity stacks are a possibility

from my point of view the velocity stacks are one of the beat investments I made so far, and with the combination of Full Yoshi system airbox mod, flies and fce the bike is a lot more powerful than stock

What do you consider enough power? My bike is making about 93% of my peak torque at 4000 rpm. At 5000 RPM and above, I have to back pedal the throttle to keep the front end on the ground. This is with a stock header with the cat still in there.

The only expensive things on my bike is the wide band tuning setup and the can exhaust.

Beast

For me enought power means that I can drive the bike in 6th gear at 60 - 70 km/h and when I open the throttle the speedometer runs to 150 in a matter of seconds.....I don't do track I'm just using it for street riding, the tune on my bike was done to get the most toruque possible in the mid range from 4000 to 7000 rpm, because this is the range I use the most.....

However differnt riders different setup......I know that i needed about 2 weeks to adjust to it, cause until the 5 gear if I open the throttle too much at arount 5 - 7000 rpm I loose the front end....

hi im looking to extract whatever i can out of my fz1 now is there really a worth while gain in a full system vs a slip on my bike came with a gtyr carbon fiber pipe so it didnt cost me extra...should i just save my money?.....i dont care about top end i want the low end and mid range......ive done the airbox mod the ivans flys so this is my last point of bolt on mod.....and yes i have a power commander im not unsatisfied with performance at all just always looking to improve

Since I already have a slip-on, my next mod will be the Arrow header. From all the dyno charts that I've seen, and the testimonials, the header should make a good 15-20hp in the midrange, I think that is worth the $460 adsmission fee :D (I've spent more for less!!). Like you, I don't care that much about peak power, but a 20hp pop at around 6 or 7K rpm would be nice. And it's even cheaper then the $800 Yosh full system which is the least expensive alternative.

Last edited:
These bikes, with the wheelbase and CG height they have, power wheelie at right near .8 geez. It varies a little if you are sitting up or have your chest on the tank. In fourth gear, I am in the .4 geez range. That works out to about 8 MPH/sec acceleration in fourth.

Beast

What do you consider enough power? My bike is making about 93% of my peak torque at 4000 rpm. At 5000 RPM and above, I have to back pedal the throttle to keep the front end on the ground. This is with a stock header with the cat still in there.

The only expensive things on my bike is the wide band tuning setup and the can exhaust.

Beast

Can I have yours Andy? :D

Seriously, Beast and super googan hit it on the head. It's not about peak numbers, it is about moving torque and HP to where you would best be able to take advantage of it. There's ways to do this with tuning, aftermarket parts or a combination of the two.

I never consider peak HP anything to brag about on these I4 bikes. Show me (a bike like Beast's) one that has the nads in the meat of the range where I live. THAT'S the setup I want. :Rockon:

Back