Full system question

Gearhead82

My bike came with a GYTR Carbon Fiber slip-on. I'm considering buying a full Yoshimura system. Does the Yosh header exit in the same place as the stock one so that I can use the GYTR slip-on with the Yosh header if I don't like the way the Yosh can looks or sounds?

Also, can anyone explain the difference between the TRC and the R77? The Yosh website didn't do a great job of explaining the difference.

Thanks.

I know Tony will chime in on this as he has the full Yoshi system. I don't know of anyone else in here that does. He has some pics of the two headers side by side too.

I beleive the TRC is a street legal version. The R77 is a race system and is not street legal.

P.S. I think the Yosh exhaust looks amazing and sounds amazing. It has a much more refined sound and is not obnoxious like the GTYR, D&D and 2 Bros.

I beleive the TRC is a street legal version. The R77 is a race system and is not street legal.

P.S. I think the Yosh exhaust looks amazing and sounds amazing. It has a much more refined sound and is not obnoxious like the GTYR, D&D and 2 Bros.

That's good to know. The GYTR is definitely a little on the loud/obnoxious side for my tastes. Love the sound at idle though!

Does Yamaha list the GTYR slip-on as racing only or street-legal? Never looked!

Even though Two Bros is a race pipe, with the P4 tip installed, the State Police here have verified I am legal on the street. :tup:

I have an R77 full system and I had the two bros carbon slip on before. The full system is the way to go for power and sound. My full system is not even close to being as loud as the slip on and I am running the full system with out the DB killer! To the OP I think the header dumps in roughly the same spot but the header is a different dimension so I don't think any slip on meant for a stock header will just slip on and work. You will need to do some modifications to make it work.

Last edited:
My bike came with a GYTR Carbon Fiber slip-on. I'm considering buying a full Yoshimura system. Does the Yosh header exit in the same place as the stock one so that I can use the GYTR slip-on with the Yosh header if I don't like the way the Yosh can looks or sounds?

Also, can anyone explain the difference between the TRC and the R77? The Yosh website didn't do a great job of explaining the difference.

Thanks.

Yosh header will not work with GYTR (or most other slip-ons). The exception to that is the Scorpion slip-on. I know another member has used the Scorpion slip-on with the Yosh header. If you want to use the GYTR then buy the Dale Walker header. It accepts all slip-ons designed for the stock exhaust.

Both exhausts are "for racing use only" and it has nothing to do with noise, but with the fact that you're removing emission controls (the two catalytic converters).

Muffler design is the only difference between the TRC and the R-77 as far as I know. Plus R-77 is not available as a slip-on, but rather only as a full system, TRC can be bought with either configuration (slip-on or full). R-77 is actually quieter than TRC since the muffler volume is bigger.

Does Yamaha list the GTYR slip-on as racing only or street-legal? Never looked!

Even though Two Bros is a race pipe, with the P4 tip installed, the State Police here have verified I am legal on the street. :tup:

As with all aftermarket slip-ons it's "racing use only" and per my explanation above.

As with all aftermarket slip-ons it's "racing use only" and per my explanation above.

Even this one? Akrapovic Street Legal Slip-On Exhaust - Street Parts Department - Motorcycle Superstore

Seems this discussion came up before and I made the same comment you did above but was proven wrong. ;)

While they claim "street legal" I know that they are likely not stamped with the correct tags from the government. And I also know that several states have a disclaimer that says anything other than the unaltered stock exhaust is illegal for street use.

Even this one? Akrapovic Street Legal Slip-On Exhaust - Street Parts Department - Motorcycle Superstore

Seems this discussion came up before and I made the same comment you did above but was proven wrong. ;)

While they claim "street legal" I know that they are likely not stamped with the correct tags from the government. And I also know that several states have a disclaimer that says anything other than the unaltered stock exhaust is illegal for street use.

I still stand by the statement I made above. The Akra may well be "street legal" from a noise perspective, but if it removes/defeats any emissions device then it's not. Notice that the Gen II FZ1 was not on the list of bikes on that link. It's very possible that the bikes listed on there (I didn't check) don't have a catalytic converter in the exhaust/muffler.

Thanks.

Ditto, i don't like the Yoshi sound either. Once you gut the header cat you have a full system 4>2>1. The only difference between aftermarket and stock header is the length of the mid-pipe, the stock header has to accomodate the cat, therefore you gain maybe 1-2 extra hp in mid-range with aftermarket?. Lets be honest when you have 145-150hp do you think 1-2hp for the $$$., if you really want power go PC3 & change the gearing.

Ditto, i don't like the Yoshi sound either. Once you gut the header cat you have a full system 4>2>1. The only difference between aftermarket and stock header is the length of the mid-pipe, the stock header has to accomodate the cat, therefore you gain maybe 1-2 extra hp in mid-range with aftermarket?. Lets be honest when you have 145-150hp do you think 1-2hp for the $$$., if you really want power go PC3 & change the gearing.

Actually, there's a pretty significant bump in torque/hp in the mid range with the full Yosh vs a gutted stock header which is where I do most of my riding. I haven't heard the Yosh in person yet (just crappy youtube clips) but it does sound like it will be quieter than my GYTR which is what I'm looking for anyway. I was just wondering if I would have the option to keep my old can if I don't like the Yosh. I've already added the Power Commander V and gone 16T. The full system is about the only performance mod I don't have. Plus I can get the Yosh TRC full system shipped for $577 (and maybe cheaper if I wait for a good deal over the winter) and probably sell my old slip-on for $250 which isn't bad at all.

These dyno charts are pretty typical of what I've seen with the aftermarket header vs stock.
Full Yosh system tested-dyno charts - FZ1OA Message Board

Very true on the midrange. After I put the R77 system on the bike seems to pull as hard @ 5k as the stock bike does @ 8k. I don't have any dyno results just seat of the pants...

To sell their full-systems, companies like Yoshi produce data that is biased towards their products (marketing) so you will fork out $ thinking your getting good gains. For example, my bike Dynojet dyno 153@r & 75 torque smooth & linear, much more than alot of "full system" FZ1's Dynojet dynoed on these forums whats going on?. I must say the guy who tuned my bike is very experienced and tunes race bikes for a living= proper stuff, not some gezzer who downloads a nice map and charges you $500. I am not trying to put you off buying a full system, i don't care if you buy one or not!. Another example velocity stacks, certain companies claim 4-6hp gains but dyno tests prove 1 maybe 2hp if your lucky for $250!!! worth it? ahh NO. When you spend $ on performance mods you go looking for gains on the butt-dyno!. I am not trying to tell anyone what to do but if you want real performance gains spend $600 on a suspension (this usually seems to be at the bottom of most riders the mods list). Good luck.

Ahh, no. Real guys from the FZ1OA have dyno tested this Yoshimura full system and have shown these gains in the all-important mid-range to be very real. I haven't even had mine on a dyno, but as soon as I put that TRC full system on mine, the front end started coming up at 4500 rpm instead of 7k. It works, and those gains are for real. No other slip-on by any company who likewise wants to sell their product shows that kind of mid-range gain. Not even Yoshimura's dyno charts with their own slip-ons only show that kind of gain. This is about the design of a header, and the 4 into 2 into 1, and the length of the header pipes generating better torque and power. Also, the R77, TRC, or most other pipes are labeled "for race use only". The difference between the TRC and R77 is that supposedly the R77 is quieter. I find that my TRC is too quiet, and wish I hadn't sold my Scorpion slip-on, which yes, I'm the one that did use it on the Yosh header system. The scorpion was a bit more aggressive sounding. Any header that has an inlet diameter of 2.25 inches should work. If it's 2 inches, like some of them (and Holeshot's) then they won't work.

On the point of velocity stacks, some do gain that much...in certain areas, then lose a bit in others. Seems to be that the stock stacks are really pretty good.:cheers:

Special note to buildercher...numbers. Dynojet will even tell you that. That being said, if you had a full system, your tuner would have knocked your socks off with even better numbers in that case.
So, boasting about getting "better numbers than guys with full systems" is a bad point to make. Your numbers would have been awesome with a full-system, and that much better than your slip-on.
Also, ANY PRODUCT YOU BUY IS MADE BY A COMPANY BIASED TOWARD SELLING THEIR PRODUCT. So, you believed another company's stuff and bought theirs instead. Simple as that.
I'm in graphic design, marketing and advertising...I understand the whole marketing schlock...and that's just what it all is nowadays. That's why I'd like to get out of the industry altogether.

To sell their full-systems, companies like Yoshi produce data that is biased towards their products (marketing) so you will fork out $ thinking your getting good gains. For example, my bike Dynojet dyno 153@r & 75 torque smooth & linear, much more than alot of "full system" FZ1's Dynojet dynoed on these forums whats going on?. I must say the guy who tuned my bike is very experienced and tunes race bikes for a living= proper stuff, not some gezzer who downloads a nice map and charges you $500. I am not trying to put you off buying a full system, i don't care if you buy one or not!. Another example velocity stacks, certain companies claim 4-6hp gains but dyno tests prove 1 maybe 2hp if your lucky for $250!!! worth it? ahh NO. When you spend $ on performance mods you go looking for gains on the butt-dyno!. I am not trying to tell anyone what to do but if you want real performance gains spend $600 on a suspension (this usually seems to be at the bottom of most riders the mods list). Good luck.

Last edited:
Special note to buildercher...numbers. Dynojet will even tell you that. That being said, if you had a full system, your tuner would have knocked your socks off with even better numbers in that case.
So, boasting about getting "better numbers than guys with full systems" is a bad point to make. Your numbers would have been awesome with a full-system, and that much better than your slip-on.
Also, ANY PRODUCT YOU BUY IS MADE BY A COMPANY BIASED TOWARD SELLING THEIR PRODUCT. So, you believed another company's stuff and bought theirs instead. Simple as that.
I'm in graphic design, marketing and advertising...I understand the whole marketing schlock...and that's just what it all is nowadays. That's why I'd like to get out of the industry altogether.

In fact, the tuner said "you probably wont get any better gains with a set of aftermarket headers or full system. It would be a waste of money as the standard system < cats is 4>2>1". It is glad you agree that these companies product data that is biased towards there products. If you measure your gains on is how the bike "wheelies" than thats good for you. If you want "wheelies" = change the gearing simple... Im not here to argue and stomp around, the other forum is for that. But i am here to have a discussion on the pros v cons, not so everyone can team-up on the other guy if he doesn't agree. As i have stated earlier, i don't care if you buy a full-sytem or not i don't give a monkeys what you do with you're $. The whole reason for this forum is different opinions and experiences with an FZ1, if we all agreed on the same thing how boring would that be?.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks.
Header does end at roughly the same spot, here is a pic of a Yoshi header & a two bros carbon slip on.

Thanks for the pic Krispy! This is my bike in the previous post, and all I had to do to put the Two Brothers slip on on the Yosh header is use some of the wire mesh banding that is in the stock pipe to reduce the mid pipe down to where I only had to tighten the mid pipe about 1/16". I pried the wire mesh out with a screwdriver. Without doing the wire mesh banding trick I would have had to tighten it with the clamp down about 1/4" or maybe a little more which doesn't sound like much but it seemed like a mile to me, so the wire mesh banding was a quick snug fit and finish and does not leak. The only thing that I can tell that may be a little different from the stock header is the TB's sticks out a fraction further than with stock. It can't be much obviously because I used the hanger that came with the the TB's can. Pics to follow so you can see what I'm talking about. If I ever thought about selling the TB's can all I would have to do is take out the wire mesh and send it. And I have a grand total of $400 for the header and the slip on. =$

Last edited:
Back