Fuel Sending Unit Issue

Good Morning,
The fuel gauge is on "E" with the low fuel light illuminated...no amount of fuel in the tank will move it. I have checked the wiring on my fuel tank and gauge, but I need to verify the functionality of the sending unit. How can I troubleshoot the sending unit and gauge?

if you look in the service manual, it should have instructions for testing the functionality of the sending unit... normally something like hooking a meter to the 2 sides of the sending unit, and reading resistance in ohms... most of the time, this has to be done with the sending unit out of the tank, or with access to be able to move the float on the unit... this can also be done with the unit on the bike, by using a bent piece of coat hanger/ wire to move the float up and down.... look in the tank when there is gas in it, and verify that the float is moving with the fuel level... it's not entirely impossible that due to a manufacturing defect, there may be a hole in the float, which is allowing the float to fill with fuel, and keep it from moving from the all the way down position.... if The float checks out, it might be the gauge... verify the wiring connections all of the way up to the gauge from the sending unit... it'll require a bit of patience, but it's the best way to check... you may have to split some wire loom, and move some things around... most definitely have to raise the tank / remove the fairing to make tracing the wires really easy... if you have continuity from the wires at the sending unit all of the way to the gauge, then you can test the gauge by applying a small amount of voltage to the gauge to try to move the needle... try a 1.5V battery first... then a 9V battery.. you should get different readings on the gauge that will vary with voltage...

Let us know what you find out.

...Okay, I ordered the repair manual last week, and it has yet to arrive, but I think you have given me enough info here to do the necessary troubleshooting. I will let you know the results, afterwards.:thumbup:

So yesterday afternoon I decided to check the gas tank and see if I could figure out what the float was doing. I get out a nice little battery-less flashlight and put on my reading glasses so I can peer down into the depths of my tank and locate the float...looking...looking...well, guess what, the float is gone! There is only a broken stub where the float should be, case solved. I ordered a used sending unit/w petcock from ebay last night for $30, so now I can replace the complete unit...all I need is a gasket. Mysteries never cease!:p

At some point someone must have changed this gas tank. The bike had been salvaged from the insurance company at auction. The engine is from an 02' and the fairing is new.
What type of gasket material should I use to make the gasket for the sending unit. I can't find the oem gasket anywhere?

Back