Fuel Management and sensor feedback

Phil_RC_1

Hi Guys,

Am I missing something? It seems that fuel management modules such as the Power Commanders (PC and PCV) don't use (or bypass) the sensors installed on our bikes. The sensors are there to help the ECU adjust the EFI mixture on-the-fly for changes in climate, altitude, temp etc. etc.. Why wouldn't the aftermarket make use of these?

I'm considering what mods that I'll do to my new leftover 09 but right now the PC seems like a step backward in technology, it kinda makes my EFI more like an elaborate carburetor then modern Fuel Injection.

Well you have to remember that fuel management modules like the PC III or V are only supposed to piggyback onto the stock ECU. They basically just sit in-line and intercept the injector pulse and TPS signals (maybe others as well). These get modified to add or take away fuel at certain RPMs. I don't see why they would need to make use of some of the other sensors unless they were replacing the stock ECU altogether.

Picture it more of a tweak on top of what the factory thinks is the correct answer. The only part that the factory ECU is forced to ignore is the final answer that is verified by the factory o2 sensor that is now over ridden by the PC3 install.

Keep in mind that every time you mess with anything in the airflow of the intake, motor and exhaust makes that base guess by the stock ECU a little more incorrect.

AW

Back