Fuel Line , Pump?

Port8080

Today I noticed some gas leaking out the bottom of my bike when I turned the ignition from OFF to Battery/ON. I didn't start the bike, only turned the ignition to the ON position. The bike has been sitting over the winter while I modified it into a street fighter. I just turned it to ON to see if I wired the R1 gauge properly. With the exception of gas leaking on the bike, everything with the R1 gauge functions how it should.

When I turn the ignition to the ON position I hear a click, click, click. I would assume this is the fuel pump priming things for me to start the bike. However, each time I turn the ignition from OFF to ON the fuel pump (presumably) clicks and then I see gas on the ground.

So, the question is did I wire the gauge wrong or is there a leak in one of my tubes?

I assume that the reason the fuel pump kicks on is because too much gas is leaking out and therefore it needs to turn on?

Any ideas would be great. I felt so close to being done with working on the bike until this.***Sigh***

Today I noticed some gas leaking out the bottom of my bike when I turned the ignition from OFF to Battery/ON. I didn't start the bike, only turned the ignition to the ON position. The bike has been sitting over the winter while I modified it into a street fighter. I just turned it to ON to see if I wired the R1 gauge properly. With the exception of gas leaking on the bike, everything with the R1 gauge functions how it should.

When I turn the ignition to the ON position I hear a click, click, click. I would assume this is the fuel pump priming things for me to start the bike. However, each time I turn the ignition from OFF to ON the fuel pump (presumably) clicks and then I see gas on the ground.

So, the question is did I wire the gauge wrong or is there a leak in one of my tubes?

I assume that the reason the fuel pump kicks on is because too much gas is leaking out and therefore it needs to turn on?

Any ideas would be great. I felt so close to being done with working on the bike until this.***Sigh***

The pump will keep clicking until the floats are full, then it will stop. If your getting fuel on the floor from just turning the key, I'd lift the tank and remove the right side panel and check the lines coming to and from the pump itself. Maybe a line is loose or damaged. If the fuel is coming from the drain hose down below, then it may just be that one of your floats is stuck. Sometimes a simple light tap of a hammer or end of a screwdriver is enough to knock it loose.

It's not your fuel pump. If it was you wouldn't have any gas pumping out. The problem is past the pump. Check your hose clamps, the hoses and your fuel filter. Replace as necessary. After sitting for a while it's possible your carbs are gummed up. Pull them, clean them and if you haven't already Ivanize them. Hell I sent mine to Ivan and had him clean and rejet them for me. Hope this helps.

I appreciate the input guys. I think I found the problem. When I first wired the R1 gauge I mistook the "br" wire for the "ch" wire. Consequently I wired the +12v ignition to the left turn signal and visa versa. Once I wired it properly the gas leaking stopped. Just to be on the safe side I may have the carbs pulled when I get the bike inspected next week.

Side note, no matter how much I learn about this Gen 1 there's still more I don't know. This forum has and will continue to be a great source for help and information.

Back