Fuel Cut Eliminator

cueist

I have read on other forums that the fuel cut problem has been sorted out on the 08' FZ1 and is only a problem on the 06' & 07' models. Does anyone have any knowledge of this? I really haven't noticed a problem on my 08' model but this is my first street bike and probably do not ride it hard enough. Although I do open up from time to time and have 3k miles on it already. I am debateing if this part is necessary. I would like to get a 2 bros slip on and pcIII and do the airbox mod with new filter. I don't think I want to go as far as gutting cat and tieing flies as I would like to keep it street legal. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

cueist great bike by the way. I havent experienced any fuel issues so im sure you wont. A couple of things the upgrades you mention i have already done to my bike. i still plan on having it dynoed and also getting a steering damper.

you can check out fuelmotousa.com for power commander,exhaust,and air filter package. great thing about them they will map the pc for you so all you have to do is install.

Now about the two bros let me tell you its loud!! im dealing with it but would have prefered something quieter. so take your time and get some other opinions hope i was some help.

joe

I have an "08" with a MIVV Suono, PCIII with Ivan's map and a K&N filter. Ivan suggests a FCE with this setup but I decided to wait and see how it runs. I think it's fine myself but when I first got the bike, I thought the low RPM (below 4000) was hard to deal with because it felt to me like it was shutting down when I let off the throttle to shift. I think it was a symptom of fuel cutoff and I found that by letting it run to 4000 + before making a shift pretty much eiminated the "cutoff" sensation. After puting $577 into my can and another $300 into a PCIII plus about $230 into an O2 guage, another $200+ for an FCE wasn't an option I wanted at the time. I guess it's up to the indivudal and where he/she draws the line on the performance vs. cost issue.

My 2006 now has an FCE fitted and yes, it does make a difference to the earlier engines. The slight snatch whilst picking up revs from slow speeds has gone and the throttle in now nice and sharp.

M

FCE is mandatory for 06 and recommended on the 07+ if you want to do some serious performance mods.

not necessarily so. One of my good friends that live just up the road in TN has a 06 without the FCE... he doesn't have any problems with it.

As I said above, I met another Gen II owner with a 07 that fitted the FCE, and saw no real change, let alone a change to merit spending $200.

As to needing it for serious performance mods.... why?

Just the info I need. :D I haven't noticed anything on the '09 yet but I've yet to get the chance... still in breakin. Even in breakin and varying the RPMs though, I've noticed very little, if any, problem what the $200 might correct. I'm already onboard with va_rider with regards to the GEN II. No clue on a GEN I but most say it's worth it.

Regardless of the generation, if you're a casual owner and just cruise with the bike, you really don't need it at all, right?

I'm a "Pace" kind of guy. :D

*EDIT* Nothing like a new owner to wake up some old threads.... I'm sure I'll have questions in more of them.

I have a 2008 FZ1 Fazer, did not really notice to much of a problem with the shut off, but found a cheap Ivans FCE on ebay, so I thought I would give it a whirl I fitted it at the weekend. It definately makes a difference, the bike is much smoother, particulalry at low revs (roundabouts, junctions etc) gear changes are better and also seems to have a bit more power mid range

I have an 08 and I installed Ivan's FCE. I thought the roll-on was smooth (compared to my SV650), but after reading the various threads I decided to get one.

I can tell an immediate improvement in throttle roll-on, especially at lower RPM's (parking lots and residential areas) and when exiting curves. For me, it was a definite plus and I do recommend it. The engine really seems to run smoother.

I also have the Two Bros and I don't think it's that loud. I know it's not always accurate, but search youtube for sound clips of the different exhausts for the FZ1. After listening to several, I liked the TB the best. I haven't gutted the header cat yet and that might make it louder, but I'm not sure.

From the standpoint of the EPA, anything you do to the exhaust or intake can put your "legality" in question so a can/air cleaner or any other modification such as that may be an issue in the right hands. Nonetheless, the FCE can be an issue on the 08 and 09 bikes if you make it one. I personally think my 08 is fine but I will say, the FCE might make a slight difference in absolute full-on hard running.

Last edited:
The FCE will help the '06 model the most from what I've heard and read. My '06 had one on it already when I bought it so I don't really know how bad it was stock.The '07 and up are probably fine the way they are since Yamaha did modify the ECU to make the throttle off-on transition smoother. However, it does give the bike a nice boost in mid-range power by opening the secondary 'flies sooner. Whether it's worth the $200 or not is a personal choice.

I have an '07 and the transition from throttle off to throttle on is terrible. I hate it. I can't wait to get rid of this piece of junk and get back on a proper sportbike. I don't care how uncomfortable it is... at least I don't have to spend tons of cash just to make it run "right".

I have an '07 and the transition from throttle off to throttle on is terrible. I hate it. I can't wait to get rid of this piece of junk and get back on a proper sportbike. I don't care how uncomfortable it is... at least I don't have to spend tons of cash just to make it run \\"right\\".

I've owned my share of bikes, and I've not had one that didn't have some rideability problems out of the box. I'm still a member of most of these forums. Go on any of them, and you will find the same discussions on engine response. What are we talking about for the FCE...$200..? I know you're frustrated, but don't throw out the bike for something that be fixed so easily.

I have an '07 and the transition from throttle off to throttle on is terrible. I hate it. I can't wait to get rid of this piece of junk and get back on a proper sportbike. I don't care how uncomfortable it is... at least I don't have to spend tons of cash just to make it run \"right\".

I have an 08 and you are right that the throttle transition can be unsettling. The fuel injection on most vehicles is designed so that the intake tract goes "dry" when you close the throttle. It just happens to more pronounced on our FZ1's. The FCE fools the system and keeps the tract "wet' to a degree so that you have a much smoother transition. It really does work and is the best mod you can make on the injected FZ1. Those that have not tried it really don't know.

In the previous posts on this subject many other issues have been attributed to the FCE, but it's function is simply the throttle transition. Obviously it will seem as thought the bike is accelerating smoother. The transition while entering and exiting corners at speed is greatly improved.

Coming from someone who has ridden both an 06 with an FCE, and an 07 without back to back I told the guy to save his money that in my honest opinion he didn't need one. My 06 on the other hand I couldn't do without it now.

Even if it is installed correctly, it "can" set a code if it's very cold out or you shut the bike off with the sidestand and so on. But yes, with the improvements in the 07+, it's fine without it to me.

Back