Fuel Conditioner - Helpful / Thoughts ?

Two Wheels

Gents:

Is there any harm in adding fuel conditioner if you expect the bike to sit two-three weeks ? I heard fuel "rots" after several weeks and just in case additing a fuel conditioner / preserver can prevent this. Seems to be cheap insurance for the engine. Does anyone have any knowledge of the matter ? Curious if for any reason it would hard the engine if used frequently ?

Thanks

Hi TwoWheels, I'd use fuel conditioner in countries where you know fuel has a poor quality, but here in Europe and I reckon US as well, quality is pretty ok. Having your bike sit 2-3 weeks would be no problem at all.
Even when I park my bike for during the winter (example 3 months) I'd only fill up the tank to it's maxium (avoids possible corrosion in the tank) with only fuel....I guess it's all a bit marketing speech to get you to buy these fuel additives....(not to be mistaken with products to clean your carbs or tank, but that's another topic)

Hi TwoWheels
I'm no mechanic so take whatever I say with a grain of salt. I did have a bike get carb problems from letting the fuel sit untreated for a year. The dealers around here are saying that the increased ethenol in gas these days is killing the bikes that don't get used much. I wouldn't worry about it if your bike will sit unused for a few weeks. For myself, after the problems I had, I treat my gas if I expect it to sit more than 5 weeks. Do I really need to? Who knows.

All the dealers around here are pushing Startron.
Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment - HOME

If you are talking about products such as Sta-Bil, it can keep the gas from varnishing while sitting in float bolws and other parts of the fuel system. I use it in my lawn mowers, snow blowers and other implements that will sit for a few months during the winter without being run. I will say that paying attention to the proper amount to use is important. Getting carried away with the amount you put in the tank can result in fouled plugs upon start-up.

Chevron used to say their gas was good for one year in storage. With the 10% ethanol and other reformulated stuff here in the US who knows. I try to ride all year but would be very worried about old gas losing volatility and octane if it set for several months. Do a web search on PRI-G additive as they have some interesting tech info on the evils of old fuel. A product my bike really likes is BG Supercharge II from a local shop and is used in very small quantities. It could be my imagination but I swear it runs better even with fresh gas :D

Hi TwoWheels
All the dealers around here are pushing Startron.
Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment - HOME

Thanks Steve, I almost failed organic chem 101 but this product may be on to something. The parent company of Star Tron markets in like 100+ countries so this additive might be available outside the US. I going to try some in my car and the FZ1. BTW, Shell's new ads for nitrogen content in their gas is probably just more amine detergent and won't change the ethanol/water storage problems much.

This is good stuff. Man, who would have known fuel actually can "rot" after a month or two. Wow.

Every so often, I used to put in additional Techron (Chevron) and seemed to work well as well (but I am not sure its an actual fuel storage product) versus an engine / fuel injection cleaner.

Back