Front Wheel removal

RI_Grinch

OK...I need one of you crafty people to give me a brilliant idea. I went to switch out my from tire today..I got my calipers off no problem. Next I went to loosen the pinch bolt and apparently the PO has stripped it out. I attempted to use the next closest size which was standard not metric but that didn't work. Any ideas? only thing that I can think of would be to drill it and try to use an extractor.

Their is a neat little product called Screwgrab that will help with striped Allen bolt heads.
You apply a drop or two into the bolt head and it bonds to your Allen key and helps to remove the bolt.
Google Screwgrab to find a local dealer.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Or JB Weld... Mix up a dab and put it in the head then set the allen into it and let it harden over night. It will sacrifice the allen wrench (maybe)

Or JB Weld... Mix up a dab and put it in the head then set the allen into it and let it harden over night. It will sacrifice the allen wrench (maybe)

Now that is a GREAT idea!

Or Easy-Out and a torch may work. I had to do that last weekend with a rotor bolt that stripped.

BTW...stock rotor bolts are the softest metal know to mankind....

BTW...stock rotor bolts are the softest metal know to mankind....

You're not kidding! I'm thinking that I should source some new ones when I replace my rotors. Can't see being able to reuse them based on previous experience.

As for the issue with the stripped Allen bolt you might be able to find a bit that's just slightly bigger (probably a standard size instead of a metric one) and just hammer it on there. There should be enough of an interference fit to allow the bolt to come loose.

Back