Front tire losing pressure quickly?

NightTrain

I seem to have to fill the front tire on my bike a lot. I first noticed this with the stock tires, the worst is when I rode to work one day and it went completely flat along the way.. no nails or other issues.

Now I have completely different tires, and it still seems like I have to check them once a week, or else... Last night I pulled the bike out, and while going around a sweeper (entry ramp to the highway) close to home I thought the front was going to tuck. At first I figured the tires were still cold, but after that I checked and the front was just below 20 PSI. Filled it back up, and the ride is as it should be again. I just don't understand why my front loses air so fast... never had this issue on other bikes. There is no damage to the front wheel. Anyone have an idea why this happens? Should I try some tire slime to see if it helps? Again, no wheel or tire damage in my case.

What cold pressures do you guys usually set your tires at F/R ?

Is it possible that you have a leaking valve stem? If you did not replace the valve stem with the tires, then it may be the issue. If you don't already, I suggest using valve stem caps that are metal and have a rubber sealing gasket.

Take an empty spray bottle and mix dish washing liquid half and half with water. Air up your tire and go over it, the leak should make bubbles. If its the stem I would try a new core first, may just be loose. Would never use slime or any other tire sealant in a bike or car. Use them in an emergency only. If you can't find it with the soap take the wheel off, put around 40 psi in it, use your bath tub or one of those plastic bins. Fill with enough water to cover the tire, rim, and stem and sit the tire in it. Rotate it around till you find it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Is it possible that you have a leaking valve stem? If you did not replace the valve stem with the tires, then it may be the issue. If you don't already, I suggest using valve stem caps that are metal and have a rubber sealing gasket.

I actually have one of those caps on at the moment.

I will see about a new valve stem all together I guess, see if that is the fix. Maybe those trick angled jobs are a good choice. What do you suggest on F/R tire pressures? I have been shooting for 39/40 F/R but it isn't easy getting a feel for what works best when you damn near loose the front because the tire has gone down below 20 PSI :eek5:

why not use "slime" I use it for my bikes and cars also, I even used it on a old bike non-tubeless with good results.

the one time it didn't work the valve was very old and cracked

For one, its not the proper way to fix a leak. For 2, it makes a mess inside the tire. For 3, if its the tire bead or valve stem, which it sounds like in this case, since its still happening after a new tire. It won't work, you put in the slime and go down the road an it slings to the outside of the tire. All it will fix is a hole in the tread that you should have patched from the inside. That's why I say in the case of an emergency. Where there is no shop around and you pull a small nail out of your tire and need a quick fix. Could also see where using it in a motorcycle tire could change the turning characteristics of the tire, with adding weight and thickness to the inside of the tire. Guess it comes down to personal preference. Still wouldn't use it on a brand new tire.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I actually have one of those caps on at the moment.

I will see about a new valve stem all together I guess, see if that is the fix. Maybe those trick angled jobs are a good choice. What do you suggest on F/R tire pressures? I have been shooting for 39/40 F/R but it isn't easy getting a feel for what works best when you damn near loose the front because the tire has gone down below 20 PSI :eek5:

36 psi max on the front Tyre.

Before you buy anything, use soapy water in an atomizer and spray it all over the front Tyre.
You will soon find your leak as there will be bubbles forming over the leak.

Sent from my SG3

Well you have been given very good suggestions here...spray around the valve area and see if it's leaking from there. Since you say this was happening with the previous tire as well it's probably the valve or there might be a tiny defect in the rim itself. However, this would be very, very rare so I'm putting my money on the tire valve being defective. Keep us posted...

Any recommendations on a particular brand of valve stem to go with? I am sure this is it... between lunch and these evening it has dropped about 2 lbs.

I purchased and have one of these in service. The other gets added next tire change. Black Ariete Bridgeport 90/83 degree angled valve stems Made in Italy. 11.3 mm

Italian you say? Sounds sexy, or is the word Bellisimo? Yeah Ok, I'm sold... just one more "trick" bit for the Fizz'. Man, I though my 2003 Z1000 was a mod-junkies nightmare (or dream), but this bike is even surpassing my previous notions of how far one might take it. Time to go one more step. In the infamous words of Cyrus- CAN YOU DIG IT ?!?!? :yes:.

Ok, thanks friends. I'll have this one sorted in short order.

Last edited:
Back