Front Stands

I have a vortex front stand that lifts the triples just like that one; it came with my track bike when I bought it and I was pleasently suprised to find that the pin also fit the FZ. I don't know the diameter off the top of my head because none of the additional pins that are sold are listed by diameter, but I can measure it today if you need me to.

Keep in mind that you either need to have braided front brake lines or be willing to remove a mounting bracket for the stock front lines each time you want to use it, because for some reason Yamaha decided to cover the bottom of the steering stem with a it.

I have a vortex front stand that lifts the triples just like that one; it came with my track bike when I bought it and I was pleasently suprised to find that the pin also fit the FZ. I don't know the diameter off the top of my head because none of the additional pins that are sold are listed by diameter, but I can measure it today if you need me to.

Keep in mind that you either need to have braided front brake lines or be willing to remove a mounting bracket for the stock front lines each time you want to use it, because for some reason Yamaha decided to cover the bottom of the steering stem with a it.

That's now going to be my next mod, a set of braided lines!

I'd appreciate it if you could measure the pin, mine came with 13mm, 15mm, 16.5mm, 17mm and 18mm pins but the one I need for the FZ1 appears larger, possibly about 22mm???

I have a different type of stand, but I'd use the 18mm, because you'll want to have a bit of movement to allow the bike to shift a bit when you put it on the stand.....

An exact fit, may lead to unwanted stresses and unwanted results....

This is the stand that I purchased from PJ @ www.pjsparts.com

PJ03SM%20%28Small%29.jpg

Last edited:
I've ordered the brake lines and they should be here Monday so with any luck I'll be able to fit them Tuesday when I get the bike back from the dealers after it's first service :wilynily:

Once I've got them on, I'll try the stand out!

The FZ needs a 19mm pin. Even with the pin that is specified for the bike, there will still be enough play to move the triples back and forth with out it being too loose on the pin. If its too loose, it may make it annoying or even difficult to manipulate parts of the front end as you are trying to work.

Last edited:
I have T-Rex stands... and I think the front pin is 22mm... it's a perfect fit, and I've sat on the bike with it up on the stands... very stable..

I also have a set of Coba stands, that also has a 22mm pin for the front... but... the build quality isn't quite as good as the T-Rex... T-Rex is basically a DIRECT rip-off from Pitbull...

I have T-Rex stands... and I think the front pin is 22mm... it's a perfect fit, and I've sat on the bike with it up on the stands... very stable..

I also have a set of Coba stands, that also has a 22mm pin for the front... but... the build quality isn't quite as good as the T-Rex... T-Rex is basically a DIRECT rip-off from Pitbull...

Are you sure? DMP lists the diameter as being 19mm for their stand and I just measured the pin on my vortex stand and its 19mm as well.

Does anyone on here use the front paddock stands which lift via a pin in the lower headstock, like this type of Pitbull stand?

Pit Bull Motorcycle Stands & Accessories: Newfront Stand

If you're using one of these, what size(diameter) pin do you use with your GenII FZ1?

I have a set of front and rear Pit Bull stands. The standard pin is what you need for the FZ1. It works out great for me as the same pin fits both of my bikes. You can verify fitments here.

I have a set of front and rear Pit Bull stands. The standard pin is what you need for the FZ1. It works out great for me as the same pin fits both of my bikes. You can verify fitments here.

As my stand isn't a Pit Bull one, I don't know what size the standard pin is. Any chance you could measure the diameter of yours for me?

As my stand isn't a Pit Bull one, I don't know what size the standard pin is. Any chance you could measure the diameter of yours for me?

Yes, I will try to get the diameter for you tonight or if not tomorrow for sure. I will post measurements of both ends.

I relocated my horn so that it would not interfere with my pit bull. I did use the pin that pit bull advised. When I tried the next pin larger, things did not work well.

AW

Yes...I have a PitBull front stand, their "S" pin, the little screw hanging out a bit, and some gorilla tape over the top to prevent scratching from the screw. PitBull is horrible with their pins as stated on their website but this one seems to work...I changed my front tire out last week and it worked fine. P.S. If you have stock lines you gotta unbolt the brake line joint in front of the hole and then it fits no problem. Hopefully that helps..

Rusty the standard Pit Bull pin measures 19mm at both ends and fits the FZ1 well. As the others mentioned you will have to unbolt the horn and brake line bracket every time to get it to work. Not a big deal as it's only two 10mm bolts.

Rusty the standard Pit Bull pin measures 19mm at both ends and fits the FZ1 well. As the others mentioned you will have to unbolt the horn and brake line bracket every time to get it to work. Not a big deal as it's only two 10mm bolts.

Top stuff, thanks for that.

I'll try the 18mm when I've got the lines changed then if it's no good I'll have to try and source a 19mm from somewhere.

Does Yamaha .....

Does yamaha recomend one specific type for the Gen. 1 FZ1? Do they sell one? Any more out there that members have used that address the pins better? I have eyehooks I bought from Tractor Supply twisted into my rafters in the barn, and those in tandom with a rachet tiedown or two will loft the front, while I count on the center stand for the rear tire being elevated still. But I' think its time I found a dedicated front stand. The rear is kind of moot because theres already the center stand. By now there should have been more new members with newer experiances having aquired an FZ1 since this was initially posted...................Rich........

Venom stand catching headlight unit

Sorry to dig up an old post, I am finding that my venom front stand is making contact with the bottom of the headlight unit 2006 FZ1 - Gen II). I don't want to lift it all the way in case of cracking the plastics - anyone else have this problem?

I am using the largest size pin that came with the stand - 18mm. I can't image using a 19mm pin (as others have suggested is the correct size) would make is the solution.

Any ideas? Thanks

Sorry to dig up an old post, I am finding that my venom front stand is making contact with the bottom of the headlight unit 2006 FZ1 - Gen II). I don't want to lift it all the way in case of cracking the plastics - anyone else have this problem?

I am using the largest size pin that came with the stand - 18mm. I can't image using a 19mm pin (as others have suggested is the correct size) would make is the solution.

Any ideas? Thanks

it may not be a pin issue as much as a design flaw. however ive used those before that also lifted on the headlight and it's not ideal. potential thought to cheaply fix it, have a longer pin made where the collar is much higher up so it holds it higher off the stand and maybe it wont hit the plastics that way. very simple to make something like that on a lathe if you know somebody or hell a machine shop cant charge much for that.

i've had issues with stands only fitting certain bikes because of just poor design, may just be not designed for the fz1 properly

Thanks guys

I also read that a socket with the correct outside diameter can also be used to effectively increase the clearance between the stand and the plastics. Although I'm not sure how that would work because I picture the socket just rising up inside the triple tree tube - there is nothing to actually lift the bike :confused:

Am I right in thinking it is the 'shoulder' of the pin that lifts the triple tree?

Back