front forks replacemet

just looking at changing the front forks on my 08 fz1s,thanks to the previous thread on the 06 r1 forks i would like to go one better and put the 07-08 r1forks on to my bike.still 43mm forks but with the six pot calipers the only difference i can see is the brake disc on the r1 are 310mm and fz1 are 320mm
how do i get around this any advice always welcome.

just looking at changing the front forks on my 08 fz1s,thanks to the previous thread on the 06 r1 forks i would like to go one better and put the 07-08 r1forks on to my bike.still 43mm forks but with the six pot calipers the only difference i can see is the brake disc on the r1 are 310mm and fz1 are 320mm
how do i get around this any advice always welcome.

The benifit of radial mounted brake calipers is that you just need spacers, and possibly longer bolts and the larger diameter discs can be compensated for easily.

just purchased my 07/08 r1 forks and six pot calipers at a cost of £500.having the caliper spacers made should be with me soon.looking to buy one or two other things,brembo master cylinder and braided hoses when funds and mrs allows. will keep posting when forks are on the bike.and pics.

put the forks on today.they are the 4c8 off the 07,08 r1 with six pot calipers. straight foward swop out.you need 5mm spacers and the front wheel spindle of the r1.also dropped them 10mm through yokes not yet ridden it yet will post results.just put pics into my album recent mods.

Last edited:
put them side by side no difference in lenght in outer tube and no diff in ride hight when fitted, i know they have about ten mm less travel in them .can always put them back if the ride doesnt feel right. thanks for your input what to do with the back end now.

Last edited:
Actually, I also measured them axle center to fork tube top and was baffled to see them the same length. But most others have reported shorter lengths. Go figure.

A aftermarket rear shock will do a world of good. Just don't get any of the emulsion shocks.

put them side by side no difference in lenght in outer tube and no diff in ride hight when fitted, i know they have about ten mm less travel in them .can always put them back if the ride doesnt feel right. thanks for your input what to do with the back end now.

HI Colin, I notioce your in Lichfield Uk is that Lichfield Staffordshire?? If so I live in Cannock about 5 - 6 miles awy and have just done the same conversion but with 06 forks. I have riden mine and I can tell you theres a major different in feel and stability. Trouble is you'll need to get rid of the cr*p rear shock now :)

Carl

hi carl,it was reading your post that got me interested in doing the conversion.been out on mine twice since doing it once in the rain and last saturday just above freezing.not given it a real test as yet but like what i have felt so far.i was in your neck of the woods today have to get out for a spin when weather picks up.ohlins for the rear looks to be the option i may go with pennies and wife permiting.regards colin.

I personally don't see the point of installing the stock FZ1 rotors with this conversion. Find a set of R1 rotors on ebay etc and replace your stock ones with the R1 pieces designed for use with the brake calipers. The rotors are a direct swap and are lighter as well. No worry about the spacers, the bushings or the results of using a caliper mounting bolt that now has 5mm less threads inserted into the aluminum caliper body. I spent less than $50us on a pair in good shape. R1 owners frequently upgrade their stock rotors with aftermarket goodies so the supply of OEM is relatively plentiful.

it is somethink i am lookining into, costing the options ie r1 oem, galfer wavey there are a lot to choose from.also changing brake lines to braided/ss and master cylinder again cost comes into it alot.all opinions welcome gives me more to think over.

now put r1 discs on as the other member suggested thanks for the input the 5mm less thread done it for me.straight swop out. thanks eurban

Last edited:
Back