Front forks are very soft

Matt C.

Hey guys, I have noticed lately that my front forks are very soft. I set them up according to some specs I found a while back but they are extremely soft now.

Any ideas? Fork oil maybe? I have put about 10K miles on it and havent changed it.

Please help.

Matt

I weigh 180 and my settings are 4 lines showing and 11 clicks out. They werent this soft after I set them up but seem to be really soft now.

That's weird.
You weigh about the same as me and I have some settings for the front (and rear) that I got off Lee from Traxxions.
They worked awesome when I had stock suspension.
I'm not sure it will fix your soft suspension but it will be a good starting point.
Also maybe your fork oil is breaking down, dirty etc. and needs replacing?
I'm about to go to bed so I don't have time to look for them tonight.
I'd have to look through all of my posts as they are on here somewhere.
I'll post them up tomorrow if you want me to?

Sent from my GT-I9300

Last edited:
set your static and dynamic sag. go from there. don't use anyone else's settings

That's what I thought but Lee's settings worked really well for me and others of the same weight.
They were a great starting point for the stock suspension as the factory settings would make my bike wallow through corners.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Well, starting point is one thing... but even Lee will tell you that for best results, you should set your own static sag and dynamic(rider) sag.... it's like a Power Commander map... sure.. you can get good results by using a map from people who have similar mods to their bikes... but you'll get the best results from having someone who knows what they're doing make a custom map for your bike, on a dyno.

Ball: I found your settings. They are close to what I have now. So there's seems to be something else. I will check my settings again this evening and will see if that helps.

Thanks.

Well, starting point is one thing... but even Lee will tell you that for best results, you should set your own static sag and dynamic(rider) sag.... it's like a Power Commander map... sure.. you can get good results by using a map from people who have similar mods to their bikes... but you'll get the best results from having someone who knows what they're doing make a custom map for your bike, on a dyno.

That's fair enough.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Alright, I set the suspension again. Didnt get the ride due to rain but it doesnt seem any better than before. Its still soft. The right side sounds like its sucking air when rebounding from compression. Is this normal? I cant hear it when riding of course, but I cant remember it doing this before and its only coming from the rebound fork.

Thanks

Matt

The seals seem dry and in good shape. No dry rot or any cracks at all. I havent torn the shocks down yet but will early next week. I ordered a front stand and oil last night

Thanks

Matt

Back