front fork settings

A bit stumped here....reading through the owners manual regarding rebound and compression settings and the manual says compression setting is set on the L fork only and the rebound setting is on the R fork only ?????? what gives here...is there a ballance valve some were between the forks or am i missing something ??? Bike is a 08 fz1. i thought comp and rebound had to be set on each fork leg.

A bit stumped here....reading through the owners manual regarding rebound and compression settings and the manual says compression setting is set on the L fork only and the rebound setting is on the R fork only ?????? what gives here...is there a ballance valve some were between the forks or am i missing something ??? Bike is a 08 fz1. i thought comp and rebound had to be set on each fork leg.

It's like the manual says, comp left, rebound right just like a 2009+ R1

Its a relatively newer theory. Been goin on for a few yrs now.

Think about it- the forks are tied together at the triple clamps and the axle.

Its a relatively newer theory. Been goin on for a few yrs now.

Think about it- the forks are tied together at the triple clamps and the axle.

That's what makes it work. I've been playing with my compression and rebound looking for the sweet spot and this way makes it real easy to keep track of.

The only thing you need to watch out for is the pre-load has to be equal for both side.

"Different function in different leg" approach has been around for a long time. I can't say how long it's been around for street bikes, but for downhill mountain bikes it's been there for at least 10 years.

The fork is so stiff and solid that the legs don't have have to be even close to equal, in terms of what they do.

For example, my current DH bike has a spring and preload in just one leg. The other side has quite a bit more oil and takes care of both rebound and compression via different adjusters.

The idea of compression being handled by one fork leg and rebound by the other is ancient and has been used by Marzoochi for more than 15 years.

forks

I guess I missed the boat on that one...I have been riding vintage Hondas for a long time (30 odd yrs) thanks to all for setting the record straight. I did a few minor suspension adjustments the other day and man what a difference...thanks again to all for your help
Ed

Back