Front brake no "bite"

bikemad61

Hi All
just purchased another FZS1000 (my second) but found that I had to exert huge pressure to the front brake to get any braking power, almost as if the pads were not gripping? I have changed the lines to braided ones, the pads in the calipers look very recent and I cleaned the pistons while I was in there. Net result? a bill for braided hoses and no improvement. I don't remember the brake on my last Fazer being this soft? By the way the rear has much more feel and bite to it! Any suggestions appreciated.

Tommy

Is the feel of the brake mushy when you pull it in? If so you have air in the lines still. Also the OEM Sumitomo brake pads have little bite. Try something like an EBC HH pad, or any other brand's HH pad and you'll get much better initial bite.

I reread your post, so the lever is very hard to pull, correct?

Did you get brake fluid on the pads and rotor while bleeding them? If so that may be the problem. If that is the case a blast of brake cleaner will help, however you may need to replace the pads. If you do replace them Scotch-Brite the rotors first to get the old pad material off/out of them.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Just bought the bike recently, good near new sbs pads on there, rang the guy I bought it off he said that there had been leaks from the fork seals, I am thinking pad contamination?, Thanks for the suggestions.

Just bought the bike recently, good near new sbs pads on there, rang the guy I bought it off he said that there had been leaks from the fork seals, I am thinking pad contamination?, Thanks for the suggestions.

SBS pads are pretty decent, but given the info that you found out from the previous owner I have to agree with you. Clean the rotors with some brake cleaner and a scouring pad to get all the oil off and then put new pads on. I'm willing to bet that will cure your braking issue.

Hi All
just purchased another FZS1000 (my second) but found that I had to exert huge pressure to the front brake to get any braking power, almost as if the pads were not gripping? I have changed the lines to braided ones, the pads in the calipers look very recent and I cleaned the pistons while I was in there. Net result? a bill for braided hoses and no improvement. I don't remember the brake on my last Fazer being this soft? By the way the rear has much more feel and bite to it! Any suggestions appreciated.

Tommy

I have the same problem, I've cleaned them, bleeded and still the same. My old FZ600 was much better. Think I'll try the HH pads first and get back to you.

Hi All

Tommy

Your description sounds like the pads are heat glazed. Have you seriously cleaned up the contact surfaces?

Back