Franks first overnight trip

Usually my FJR does long distance duty but it was time to see what it's like to ride the FZ1 a bit farther. Fortunately my riding bud Tom has a GS with room to haul some of my crap so I didn't have to pack any extra bags on my bike. Besides we only were gone a little over 2 days.
The fun part was we were headed over to Bishop Ca which means we get to play on some of northern Ca's best passes and roads of the Eastern Sierra's plus some fun out in the desert of western Nevada.
I could go on about the great roads, wonderful views with snow capped mountains ( not the norm in July ) but I'll let the pics tell some of the story.

Here's Frank at Virginia Lake well above the 9,000' elevation

FranktoBishop7-11007.jpg

When we arrived in Bishop Saturday afternoon it was well into the 90's so we rode up to Bristlecone Pine forest to escape the heat.
Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So at 3 pm at 10,100 foot elevation it was 60 degrees, wow that felt great. We took a nice long break to enjoy the view and temps at the visitor parking lot. Myself and Tom by his Beemer

FranktoBishop7-11033.jpg

Looking from 10,000 feet toward Mt. Whitney area. Those hills are over 14,000 feet, the tallest in the continental US.

FranktoBishop7-11046.jpg

Now to enjoy some canyon carving.

FranktoBishop7-11054.jpg

There is a paved road that heads toward Death Valley but turns to gravel about 30 miles but I've always wanted to check it out so off we went. To our surprise it turned out to be a fun road with some very high speed sweepers and no traffic. Then we crossed over into a valley filled with Joshua Trees, it was so awesome.

FranktoBishop7-11087.jpg

FranktoBishop7-11089.jpg

I did get to open the FZ up a bit on roads that just beg to be ridden with authority and the Drd speed healer max speed reads 161, now how the heck did that happen on a road like this??

FranktoBishop7-11107.jpg

We did ride past Mono Lake which has to be seen to understand. This area was formed by volcano's and is quite unique. Here's helmet art with Mono Lake as a back drop.

FranktoBishop7-11144.jpg

Anyway those are a few pictures from our ride. The next pictures I take will be better as I broke my 5 year old cannon on this ride.
Oh yea, 930 miles in 2.5 days on a FZ1. Close to 38 mpg most of the time and I wasn't always riding the limit. It was fun but I'll keep my FJR for the long days.

Last edited:
seriously great pictures. looks like a great time. i'm jealous. and as i usually say with great pictures: you have some bikeofthemonth entries on your hands right there!

Nice pics. I am jealous can't wait til I can do something like that. Always wanted to just get on the bike and go. Guess I need to make some bike friends so I can make it happen.

Back