Franko's FZ1, Before and After

Yup, there's a lot of people who want custom made but Walmart prices. I've found that when I do cheap work for friends, they don't respect the work.

Anyway, here's how they look on the bike.

fslider_lr9_0075.jpg

Yup, there's a lot of people who want custom made but Walmart prices. I've found that when I do cheap work for friends, they don't respect the work.

Anyway, here's how they look on the bike.

fslider_lr9_0075.jpg

Hey Franko, looks really professional. I checked with my dad to have such made (he's got the tools) but once I found them from R&G for approx 40€, it wasn't worth his time/effort/cost

http://www.998cc.org/forum/europe/590-hello-belgium-2.html

Last edited:
I missed this thread... it was before I got my FZ1 and was still on the 6.

I'm really liking the Franko stuff! I'm considering fabbing one up for me as I do not intend to ride two-up on my bike either. I can't believe that Yamaha was lazy and stuck silver pillion brackets on an all Blue/Black bike! While they are off the bike, I'm going to have them powder-coated in matte black so if I do put them back on, they match the frame! :D

I missed this thread... it was before I got my FZ1 and was still on the 6.

I'm really liking the Franko stuff! I'm considering fabbing one up for me as I do not intend to ride two-up on my bike either. I can't believe that Yamaha was lazy and stuck silver pillion brackets on an all Blue/Black bike! While they are off the bike, I'm going to have them powder-coated in matte black so if I do put them back on, they match the frame! :D

Thanks FZ1inNH. That's a good idea!

I've seen a lull working on the Fizzo for the last couple or three months. I'm still expecting a belly cowl, but it's been on backorder since early June. Makes more time for riding it. Someday the belly pan will arrive and it will be a big surprise!

I reconsidered the bar end mirrors and put the stockers back on. I loved the way they looked, but I was missing some cars coming up on me from behind. I also didn't like that I had to take my eyes so far from looking forward to look back.

In the meanwhile, I've done some horse-trading and turned my Honda TRX 230 converted "L" into a 650L. I'm presently working on lowering it a couple inches and fabricating a cargo rack for it. I may shave the seat foam to get another inch of lowering. It is a very tall bike and I'm short-legged.

I'm going to be looking for a belly pan over the winter. :D I had one on the FZ6 and really like the OEM one for the FZ1. I might also take off both rearsets and have them coated too. That should clear up the silver parts.

The more I look at how clean the rear is on your bike, the more I want to get started cleaning my own! Nice work!

Now, do you have before and after shots of that project bike? Progression shots? Sounds like a very cool work in progress. Do share!

I'm going to be looking for a belly pan over the winter. :D I had one on the FZ6 and really like the OEM one for the FZ1. I might also take off both rearsets and have them coated too. That should clear up the silver parts.

The more I look at how clean the rear is on your bike, the more I want to get started cleaning my own! Nice work!

Now, do you have before and after shots of that project bike? Progression shots? Sounds like a very cool work in progress. Do share!

Yup. This whole item is pretty much a progression of the process. The first post shows before and after, with upgrades later on.

;) I was actually talking about the Honda project. :D Shots of that whole progession would be cool!

Oh. Not much has happened with the Honda. I just got it last week. About all I've done is slide the fork tubes up about 3/4" and order the wrong lowering link. The correct link is on its way.

If I end up fabricating the rack, I'll take pictures and post them. I'm still open to finding something ready-made. I want to see how much that lowers it and if it is comfortable before I attack shaving the seat foam.

If I make a rack, it will possibly incorporate a different tail light and signals. I'm also looking for some different mirrors.

Last edited:
I love project stuff. I'm going to look for that one special-interest bike that is out there waiting for me, then get it home and start a total overhaul of it some day. :D I'm thinking of an older RD350 (early 70's) and making it a cafe style racer.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Also, here is my solution to signal cancellation. I mounted a couple of SuperBright LEDs on my inside cowling. They work like a charm. I haven't forgotten more than 5 or 10 seconds before canceling signals since I installed them. They are bright enough to be seen in bright sunlight, but not so bright as to be a distraction at night.

FZ1sigindicators_lr_52.jpg

Now that is a hell of an idea!! Did you just run pigtail off existing turn signal wires? I got to file this for when I can replace my bike.

turn signals

I like the led's. I had thought about that but I guess Im somewhat lazy and not the most mechanical person, but I must say you have inspired me to do this modification so I don't keep riding down the road with my blinker on feeling somewhat dumb when I realize how long it has been on. Thanks for the inspiration!

franko,
if you dont have any use for your old bracket, Ill buy it . just dropped my bike and my lady likes to go or I'd copy that nice bracket.
keep safe,
tavac1
602-818-1762

Thanks for the comments. I'm very satisfyed with the signal indicators. I haven't forgotten to turn them off since I installed them.

I think I want to keep the stock parts in case I decide to sell or trade this bike someday. I can't imagine that happening right now, but it might. Who knows what they'll come up with in the future?

Since my last post not much has happened to this bike. I did finally get the belly cowl and it finishes the look I was looking for very nicely. I put the stock bug-antenne mirrors back on as I wasn't getting a good enough view of behind me with the bar-end mirrors. I left the bar-ends on as they give me a better view directly behind the bike. The problem with the bar-ends is that you have to take your eyes too far from the road ahead to use them.

I was having some problems with golfer's elbow and tried a set of bar risers with good success. They raise the bars 1" and set them back 1" without having to change cabling. My elbow doesn't hurt after that mod while riding.

The Honda 650L project is a work in progress. I did finally get the right kit to lower the rear suspension. I had to shorten the kick stand about an inch. Now I can climb up on it without using a ladder. I ended up buying a luggage rack on eBay that works very well and looks good. I also put a set of bar-end mirrors on that bike, too. A new set of more street friendly tires pretty much finished it off. I haven't taken any new pictures of either bike lately, but will post them when I do.

I sold the FJR 1300 a couple months ago. My fleet is down to one street bike and a dual sport.

Keep riding and remember to keep your lips closed when you grin.

Last edited:
Bom

Franko,

Why not enter a recent picture in the Bike of the month contest. Your bike is unique. Why not show it off. At least post a picture in the Gallery.:shine:

hi Franco...

i want to ask if you have encountered any lesser power on the torque of yoshi slip-on pipe? cos, i just also replaced my stock fz1n pipe to trc yoshi slip-on, & i feel the lesser power on the torque. pls give some tips...tnx*

Back