Frame slider location

hello guys i am fairly new to this forum and i LOVE IT. i am in a pickle. my bike recently just got fixed since some one hit me. i have replaced the lower fairing and am curious about frame sliders. i have the fz1s and with the lower fairing i am not sure how they would work. i believe they would attach to this bolt am i correct? i attached a picture of my bike. let me know if this is right. if it is how beneficial would the placement be. like when it lays down wouldnt it still fall onto the bars/tank and upper fairing? help guys thank you :surrender: and also if i get them what kind should i get im new to frame sliders. does it really matter? its all dd i do so it doesnt see much track use... thanks again

Welcome Austin! The bike looks great. Glad to have you aboard. Yes you are right about the placement of the sliders. Thats exactly what I have in mind to do since I have recently added full lower fairings to my 01'. I believe it's going to take a longer bolt. I haven't purchased mine yet but if you beat me to it please post some photos of the installation. I just blew my wad on a rear hugger that I couldn't pass up so the sliders will have to wait another couple of weeks.

i was wondering because the sliders im looking at to buy alll say they mount on the engine mounts and those are covered by the fairing if i am correct... what sliders are you looking at getting. im torn between a few and could use some advice. i dont have my bike other wise i would just look at it. but it seems from what i remember that bolt that i circled and the engine mount are not in the same location. am i wrong? im kind of confused to why that would help since its so low on the frame... wouldnt the fairing still it the ground?

i was wondering because the sliders im looking at to buy alll say they mount on the engine mounts and those are covered by the fairing if i am correct... what sliders are you looking at getting. im torn between a few and could use some advice. i dont have my bike other wise i would just look at it. but it seems from what i remember that bolt that i circled and the engine mount are not in the same location. am i wrong? im kind of confused to why that would help since its so low on the frame... wouldnt the fairing still it the ground?

Wow, your right Austin. That disc is NOT going to the engine mount bolt now that I think about it. I know for sure that a guy with a GenI bike mounted them there. Now I am going to have to look back in my posts and find out who he was and PM him to find out how he did it. You'll have to forgive my memory. At 47, its getting worse and worse. I'll get back to you on this one.

thank you man. my memory is still good for now lol i just turned 22. i love this bike it’s amazing and this forum. it doesnt seem like many people post in this section. would it be better to post in another thread for future reference? i just thought this is where it should be gen 1 mods... lol

you will have to use the hole that you presently have your silver discs mounted to (unless you want to enlarge the fairing hole to use one of the engine mount bolts. Makes me think that the sliders will only be for looks an offer marginal (at best) protection should the bike go down.

FZ120Nov2013200520800.jpg

Your absolutely right Adam, and that is the exact photo I was looking for. The sliders in that photo have to be for show only. In a fall, that would offer no protection at all. I am going to check mine out and see what bolts are available to use. I may have to go with the long sliders and get the holesaw out and do a custom job.

you will have to use the hole that you presently have your silver discs mounted to (unless you want to enlarge the fairing hole to use one of the engine mount bolts. Makes me think that the sliders will only be for looks an offer marginal (at best) protection should the bike go down.

I think you're right about the protection because they end up getting mounted way too low. I've heard of some guys using them for highway pegs :lol: On the Gen II bikes they help more since they are mounted way higher.

Too low that if it catches anything, the FZ might be seeing some air....Guess I'm banking on my rearset to act as another slider and between that and the actual slider, maybe I'll minimize damage.....probably not...

guess I just better keep the rubber side down.

Last edited:
No! If your bike has a fairing, you'll see that it is a mounting bracket that is held in place by a 12mm bolt. Any impact would have epic failure.

Need something like the frame to offer any protection at all.

Fehling crash bars are a very good alternaive if you do nott have lowers. Otherwise, you are stuck going the hole saw route to get better access to attach to frame.

Last edited:
they will not work (w/o modification) to the lowers....

To buy the Fehlings now - Contact Ian at twtouring.com He's the U.S. Importer for Fehling and should have them.

Adam

2007 Fairing Slider Issue

Have a newly purchased 2007 FZ1 with the full faring installed, came with the Shogun Frame sliders in a box, but can't be installed from what I see due to the fairing being mounted in the engine bolt location where the slider should bolt to....? any one know of a product that is compatible with the fairing mount to either offset the Frame slider (bracket), or a slider that is pre-shaped? Thanks

Have a newly purchased 2007 FZ1 with the full faring installed, came with the Shogun Frame sliders in a box, but can't be installed from what I see due to the fairing being mounted in the engine bolt location where the slider should bolt to....? any one know of a product that is compatible with the fairing mount to either offset the Frame slider (bracket), or a slider that is pre-shaped? Thanks

R1 (04-06?) sliders should work on your bike since that bike comes with full fairings from the factory. I've seen it done before on the FZ1, but can't remember the exact year that R1 ones that were used. They use an offset mount which is what you need. Otherwise, you would have to cut away a piece of your fairing to make the Shogun ones fit.

Farings are OEM

Were are you guys buying the lower fairings, I am thinking about adding some to my FZ1

If you are refering to the "chin fairing" I bought mine from my local dealer. Wildwood motorsports in Winnipeg should be able to set you up, they were my dealer of choice when I lived there. I was in their shop when I was out in Winnipeg just recently. The full lower fairings can also be had from Yamaha.

Thanks will pay them another visit. I hate going there as I usually have to bring my wife, she has the power to make me stop signing the bill of sale for that damn white
ducati 898 they have there

Back