fr wheel removal homemade tool

last time i changed tyres i had no choice but to just give the bike to a dealer to do as i was on a holiday tour....

this time i saved 25% of that cost by getting the tyres as a paired deal off the net and getting the local shop to do the biz on my loose wheels.

however i realized i didnt actually possess a tool that would undo the front wheel spindle...so i made one out of some old bolt with correct size head, 2 wheel nuts off a mk2 volkswagen scirocco and cranked up my mig...

2012-05-12151222.jpg

cor blimey the front spindle was tight...thought i was doing something wrong so double checked on this forum...no it was just tight, had to crank up the torque wrench all the way to get it to budge....i used coppa slip on the threads for next time...:smoking:

Thats a great tool for using on the front. Heck!, they charge $19.95 for the same idea here at MC Shops that does the same thing!

I would however, NOT loosen any bolts with a Torque Wrench. You'll definitely throw off the calibration of the tool for sure. Use a regular ratchet for that kind of stuff and leave your torque wrench for tightening.

i hear ya but needed the leverage it gave me over a standard ratchet.....

i use torque settings as a bit of a guide and go by feel too.....i hate snapping heads off..

so if wrench is out a bit its not really a problem for me..within reason

oh, and that cost me 0 dollars and 5 cents

i raided my junk box for bits and the squirt of welding wire with the accompanying electricity is the 5 cents......

double it and add a bit for sterling price...lol

oh, and that cost me 0 dollars and 5 cents

i raided my junk box for bits and the squirt of welding wire with the accompanying electricity is the 5 cents......

double it and add a bit for sterling price...lol

Thats the way to do it! Ingenuity! Why buy something when you can build it for next to nothing!

Back