Fourth Yamaha in the stable...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure KTM makes that bike (street legal) in 350, 450 and 500. If I was a normal size and weight, I'd want the 350 or 450, but at over 300lbs, I'm leaning toward the 500. Problem is, the 500 lists for $10k. Not going to happen :( I sure do miss a dual-sport. The WR250R would be nice, but I think it's over $7k.

When I looked on ktm's website the 350 was listed at nearly 10K.... So expensive for such a small bike, but I guess they really are very versatile. So much of the off-road riding in parts of California is closed to both Green and Red Stickered bikes it makes much more sense to get a plated bike to get more enjoyment out of riding.

Finally got some more done on it today... tinkering. No rush to get it done right now.

Last effort left me stranded with the lower bearing race in the steering head. In another thread, one of you mentioned to weld some material onto the race for the drift to catch. I don't remember who but thanks for that! Worked like a charm!

attachment.php

So today I was able to reassemble the steering head with all new bearings, dust cap and a load of grease. In doing so, I didn't have a spanner wrench to fit this bike.... time to create. Using the pipe that Billy and Tony left behind after Billy's stem bearing replacement, I found that to be the perfect circumference of the nut so I marked two notches and cut off the excess material. It fit perfectly over the nut and I was able to draw the races into the stem, seat the bearings and lock it all down like factory.

attachment.php

Next is the forks, but I did not have the 12mm allen head to remove the caps... Time to make another tool. Found in my junk bin this small piece of square stock with threaded ends. The nut fit exactly! I welded the nut to the threads and was able to loosen both caps so the forks are ready to rebuild. Just no time left this weekend....

attachment.php

Here's some pics... Before this all goes back together, it will be washed and detailed and touched up if I can make it happen.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Back