Four Kawasakis & A Dakar Rally Bike

GraniteGray

Keith, Lorenzo, Shannon, Mike, and myself ended up getting together on short notice for some high-speed trail riding, today. As Mike pointed out, riding the whoops at 80 kms/hr plus is all good practice for a budding rally racer.

A Dakar Rally bike is not something you generally see on the trails of Newfoundland, but I don't think the locals had any idea what the heck it was, anyhow. But we all enjoyed getting a close up look a the bike in action. It's based on a KTM 525XCW and was built for the 2008 Dakar Rally, but was never raced, as the original owner wasn't able to compete in the Dakar that year, due to an injury.

Our trip consisted of riding the Route 60 coastal highway as far as Holyrood, then the T'Railway from there to Brigus Junction, where we decided to head north up the branchline trail as far as Clarke's Beach. We then took a little diversion out the dirt road to Green Point (Sorry about the rock pelting I gave you on that pass, Mike :D ). From there we rode back home on the coastal highway.

Total door to door distance for me was 225 kms, with 50 kms of that being trail riding. Thanks for the good company today, guys. Man, that Rally bike sure sounds great!

I think Mike will have some helmet-cam footage up later, but here's a few snaps in the meantime.

The crew...
HolyroodToGreenPoint01.jpg

HolyroodToGreenPoint02.jpg

Mike and his new toy...
HolyroodToGreenPoint03.jpg

My four-fiddy...
HolyroodToGreenPoint09.jpg

Shannon...
HolyroodToGreenPoint05.jpg

Very different, yet strangely compatible steeds on the trails of Newfoundland...
HolyroodToGreenPoint06.jpg

Lorenzo...
HolyroodToGreenPoint07.jpg

Break time...
HolyroodToGreenPoint08.jpg

Mike...
HolyroodToGreenPoint11.jpg

Beautiful 'Green Point' Newfoundland...
HolyroodToGreenPoint12.jpg

Back on track...
HolyroodToGreenPoint.jpg

Thanks for sharing those great pictures. Sure looks like you guys had a lot of fun riding those trails. Oh and that Dakar Rally Bike is indeed interesting looking to say the least.

I always enjoy your pictures. The East Coast is a great setting / backdrop for riding and pictures. After far too many years away, I just started back riding in the dirt, on a bike much like the one hiding at the back of the line (KLR 650).

Back