Found an '06 FZ - question

Hi Everyone,

I guess i will treat this as a member intro as well as a questions thread.

I am 24 yrs old from MA and have been kind of eyeing a new bike to replace my 2000 Suzuki GS500. I have been riding that for 2 years now and put about 8k miles on it. The other day i was driving and saw a bike on the side of the road for sale. I thought it was an earlier model FZ6, which was one bike i had my eye on, but after closer inspection it turned out to be an '01 FZ1 with 15k miles. It inspired me to take a look on CL and NADA to check out the price @ $3500. I found it to be a bit high but. . . .

Thats when i stumbled across a stock '06 with 4400 miles for $4400. Seemed like a solid deal to me. Anyways, can anyone give me advice as to what to look for on this bike. I am assuming a 6-7 yr old bike with 4k miles has done quite a bit of sitting. The chain was pretty rusted which told me the guy probably has not ridden it recently.

Any reason to avoid an 06', I keep reading about the throttle snatch issues, can the be programmed out with a powercommmander or factory reflash or something?

Thanks!

Ivan's FCE will immediately fix the snatch...I have an 06 and had an 07 with the FCE on both. It is entirely rideable without the FCE, but a really great fix that you should search the sites to research and then decide for yourself (IMHO, yup, do it right away) . Sounds like a great deal. And you should have no problem selling it down the road if it comes to that...with your money recouped. Change the oil and air filter and ride...lots of mods available for you to look into as money and time permit. Also, the spring is pretty taught on the 06, but nothing a 200lb (especially young) person couldn't live with for a while or decide to change...

Last edited:
Some but a very few 06 models had issues with the frame cracking, be sure to check that. I would also take a close look for rust in the tank. If it was neglected and the chain rusted the tank/fuel is probably bad too.

Sometimes a bike with more miles is a better deal in the long run. A bike that's been ridden often and cared for is better than rusted chains, tanks, bad fuel, clogged injectors and so on.

I've seen FZ1's under 10,000 miles with a TON of mods go for 5000ish.

I am right under 200 so that is ok. I had put racetech springs and an R6 rear shock on my GS so that rode pretty stiff anyways.

Where specifically should I be lookign for a crack in the frame. Is there a certain location or could it be anywhere.

I plan on going over this thing with a fine tooth comb. MY GS was left to sit for a year before i bought it so i certainly know that pains of buying a bike that sat.

I am right under 200 so that is ok. I had put racetech springs and an R6 rear shock on my GS so that rode pretty stiff anyways.

Where specifically should I be lookign for a crack in the frame. Is there a certain location or could it be anywhere.

I plan on going over this thing with a fine tooth comb. MY GS was left to sit for a year before i bought it so i certainly know that pains of buying a bike that sat.

Just a caution keep in mind a 1000 is a pretty big jump from that 500. Be easy with that twist grip it'd be pretty easy to end up rubber side up if you aren't careful.

Just a caution keep in mind a 1000 is a pretty big jump from that 500. Be easy with that twist grip it'd be pretty easy to end up rubber side up if you aren't careful.

I plan on keeping the front wheel down. Im looking at this size bike for two reasons. It seems like a real bargain for what you get, FZ6's are not much cheaper. And I would like to have more displacement so it has some better grunt. I ride a lot of 35-50mph back roads and would like something i can just drop into a higher gear and cruise along. Maybe I could do that with a smaller bike but with the prices being so solid it seems like its the way to go.

Thanks a lot!

Damn thats a great price....I just got mine also 06 FZ1 stock with 8000 miles on it and I also Paid $4,000

I went and took a look at it, it had a ding in the tank and a couple of scratches like it was dropped when parked. It was clearly left out in the elements and many of the bolts and fittings were corroding. In general it looks in rough shape. Mechanically i think it was ok. I actually got the guy to agree to $4000 but I really want something in nicer shape than this one. I did find an '07 with 3200 miles for $4700. It has a ding in the tank from when another bike fell on it during transport but other than that its mint.

Im actually very impressed with your price $4000. I cant find a single clean bike around here, 06 or newer, that is listed less than $5000. Some are asking up to $6500 or more for '07s with 9000 miles. I have seen a few with like upper teens for $6000 or so.

its not so much the front tire coming up as the back breaking loose in a corner. At least that's how it was for me. I almost ate it my 2nd week on mine grabbing too much throttle coming out of a corner!

I just got 06 in may,had 04 before that.Love the fz1.For old guy(47) and previous yz490 rider always liked Yamahas.I do have a problem with the oem seat,as for me has bad pressure points on long rides and the clutch seems a little notchy especially when shifting down but I'm thinking changing the oil to a hi-grade might help.Others may know more about that.I put a comfort seat on it and is better but still looking.And your price of $4,000 with that mileage was good.Mine had 7500 miles for 4900.00 but got it for 4600 with free delivery when they sold a 09 with only 1000 miles out from under me,really liked that one.Just remember to give your self time to learn the bike and how it handles easy and cautious at first,have fun.

Back