Forum etiquette

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
I posted this on the FZ6R site in response to a member who questioned the content of posting in a public form. I thought I'd share it here to see if you all agree.

First, I want to say that the following is not directed only to you but to ALL members reading this.

Yes, everyone has an opinion and everyone is more that welcome to state opinions here. We would NEVER deny that right.

The issue is when someone states their opinion and then starts defending it which causes arguments. Opinions shouldn't be defended. They should be stated and left to ponder. It is a statement by an individual which, in the eyes of that individual, is neither right or wrong. It is likely the person stating it will not change his mind AND also likely that the opinion will not change anyone else's mind, though sometimes it does because a person never viewed it that way.

Now, if people want to debate points, this is very different. Debates are based on factual information where two sides present a case and discuss the pros and cons of each side. We also have no problem with this in the forums.

What will not be tolerated is someone attacking another person's opinion in an attempt to force their own opinion on another member. This always results in bad posts, ill feelings, bad publicity and typically someone being banned because they couldn't just state their opinion and leave it at that.

Opinions welcome - State 'em if you've got 'em.

Debates are welcome. Quantify the side with links to factual information. Keep this gentleman/lady like and civil... like discussing the weather over coffee.

Arguments and personal attacks. Please be prepared to be shown the door. We do not want that here. If everyone has read the rules, then they are already aware of this.

I'm on 5 other forums. The Admin trusts the judgement of his staff here and there. His policy is to drop an apple the minute it turns bad, no questions. I like to give one chance to a member to apologize and clean up their act. I'd prefer the member humble themselves with an apology than ban them but sometimes it cannot be avoided.

I would only state that this forum is owned by someone. It is that someone who gets to decide how the site is run. It is that person who gets to decide the code of conduct by which people can remain members. If they don't like it they can start their own forum and run it however they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think of privately owned forums as bastions of free speech. I think of them as clubs where by certain rules govern membership. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with it, this is the best conducted site I participate in, its makes for a really nice place to be involved and discuss motorcycles.

My thanks to all of the staff for that.

I was thinking the other day about how there are so few forums I can stomach posting on. There's only two that I visit on a daily basis; this one and another forum I've been part of for over 10 years.

I totally disagree ! and have no facts to back up that statement :smokin2:

Can you use a 3 strike rule for me ? I suffer from OID, oppositional, internet, disorder. :)

In all seriousness, I truly appreciate being able to ask a question and not get flamed for not knowing the answer myself. There's nothing more discouraging than a bunch of people who are more interested in making themselves feel big by making others feel small than actually sharing their knowledge and enriching the entire community. I have learned a lot from my membership in this forum and the FZ6R forum. It has made me a better motorcyclist, and made the motorcycling community better as a result. I hope I can offer some knowledge or advice in the future that will help a new motorcyclist become more knowledgeable and confident.

In all seriousness, I truly appreciate being able to ask a question and not get flamed for not knowing the answer myself. There's nothing more discouraging than a bunch of people who are more interested in making themselves feel big by making others feel small than actually sharing their knowledge and enriching the entire community. I have learned a lot from my membership in this forum and the FZ6R forum. It has made me a better motorcyclist, and made the motorcycling community better as a result. I hope I can offer some knowledge or advice in the future that will help a new motorcyclist become more knowledgeable and confident.

This is exactly what we strive for. When a member's perception of the site is this, we've done our jobs well. Thank you for that! :tup:

This forum is all about great Mods...
  • excellent discussion on modifications to our bikes (among many other things)
  • and excellent moderators keeping it clean (even the rear ends) and friendly!

Thanks to all who contribute to this (Admin and Moderators) and all who freely share their knowledge and kindness without judgement on those who just want to learn!

I think it's much more difficult to find this (not impossible) on a forum about bikes considered to be more a 'beginner' bike. Too many young adults fighting with egos to sound smart and put others down. That attitude with out some control and exceptional moderators breeds more of the same (many times the moderators on these forums tend to contribute to the problem). I know I've been unable to find a decent Ninja 250r forum due to this.

Kudos to the sister FZ6R forum.

BTW I once missed a question on a test in school that asked my opinion! :wtf:

I notice over the last 2 years that there's 3 major subjects that you don't want to bring up in a thread.
1- Politic
2- Religions
3- Oil and Oil Filter thread
4- Octane rating (Forgot that one too...lol)

Plus ONE Troy

I am with Troy on his reply (above) 100%. I might add, that ONE of the many reason's I like it here is that the response's are not laced with all the profanity that is ever present on some of the other sites. yuk.

I like it clean and serene . . . . . mostly, , , , usually, , , , ,, :smoking:

I, too, appreciate this forum. Compared with others, it is like a "safe zone". With other forums you learn to be very careful what you say; and you learn that certain members dominate and seem to have behavioral favor with certain moderators.

Am a member of several on road & off road forums, this is by far the friendliest & most helpful of them all. Definetely a credit to the moderators & especially the members of this forum.

Back