Former Fz6 rider, NOWWWWW, Finally an Fz1 Rider

Good news.

parts shark (dot) com has a Fz1N conversion kit including a new rad guard and it's only $711. Get some mirrors and side lights and I'm back in business for under a grand.

Sweet! Congrats on a damned fine looking ride! :tup:

Now I just read the rest of the thread..... Dude, you need to re-evaluate riding and get some instruction before you do worse to yourself. I don't say this to be an a$$hat, I say it because I care and don't want to see you in a worse situation, like us reading about you rather than you typing it.

We warned you about the dramatic increase in power and torque. We asked you to take it easy with the bike until you learn its limits. We told you in the nicest of ways, this is NOT a bike to hamfist.... and you didn't listen to ANY of us. Why solicit our thoughts , advice and opinions if you choose not to use them?

I am VERY sorry this happened but I'm sincere when I say that you need to really get help in obtaining control of your throttle hand. Your only safety tool as a rider is what rests beneath that helmet. Without it, you're going to suffer. Please get some training!!!!

I hope you are OK. The bike can be fixed/replaced but you cannot be. Heal and learn.

-Eric

Last edited:
Now I just read the rest of the thread..... Dude, you need to re-evaluate riding and get some instruction before you do worse to yourself. I don't say this to be an a$$hat, I say it because I care and don't want to see you in a worse situation, like us reading about you rather than you typing it.

We warned you about the dramatic increase in power and torque. We asked you to take it easy with the bike until you learn its limits. We told you in the nicest of ways, this is NOT a bike to hamfist.... and you didn't listen to ANY of us. Why solicit our thoughts , advice and opinions if you choose not to use them?

I agree with you. I did listen but I didn't follow through. I was testing the limits, just in a really stupid and unsafe way. I plan on taking all the MSF courses including the Total Control I & II. Also was planning on taking a few track day instructions after I bought some full leathers. I want to be safe and be riding for another 20-30 years or until my body cant' take it.

I did Hamfist the $hit out of her, it was the rush/feeling I was looking for by upgrading. Again my situational awareness as to what road I was on failed me. I was talking with my dad who said I should sell the bike before I get really hurt. I realized that it's the country boy in me coming out, whenever we got on back roads as kids with old pick ups, 3 wheelers and beater cars we would drive the crap out of them.

I'm learning the hard way.

So Ebay may be a blessing. Somebody has the Fz1 Retro Kits for super cheap. I would just need to get the headlight assembly and a new pipe (Two Brothers) and there would be next to no damage on my bike.

Are you going to sell the fz1 after you get it fixed up and buy back your old fz6? I am not meaning to offend you or anything but you are just not ready for the fz1. It is too much power and you don't have the self-control to stay mellow. It isn't an insult or anything; it is the same reason why I didn't upgrade for the first 2 years of riding. On the fz6, you can drag knee, get the front wheel up a couple of inches, and keep up with supersports on the street. I can't imagine where it would be lacking.

If comfort is your concern, have you considered only riding the fz1 for commuting and doing your spirited/sport riding on a smaller bike? If you stay on a smaller bike and can ride within your limits, your focus can be on gaining skill instead of not crashing. It will make you a much more capable rider in much less time and fewer crashes. I just would hate to see a story up on these forums about you getting seriously injured.

Are you going to sell the fz1 after you get it fixed up and buy back your old fz6? I am not meaning to offend you or anything but you are just not ready for the fz1. It is too much power and you don't have the self-control to stay mellow. It isn't an insult or anything; it is the same reason why I didn't upgrade for the first 2 years of riding. On the fz6, you can drag knee, get the front wheel up a couple of inches, and keep up with supersports on the street. I can't imagine where it would be lacking.

If comfort is your concern, have you considered only riding the fz1 for commuting and doing your spirited/sport riding on a smaller bike? If you stay on a smaller bike and can ride within your limits, your focus can be on gaining skill instead of not crashing. It will make you a much more capable rider in much less time and fewer crashes. I just would hate to see a story up on these forums about you getting seriously injured.

I actually was leaning toward fixing up the Fz1 and just commuting/long rides with that and picking up an older Fz6 (Actually a DRZ-400sm sounds like fun) or something similar to gain skill on. You are exactly right, I need to focus on skills rather than just trying to not crash. I think the other thing that came up is my first crash was still fresh in my mind and I just don't have the confidence to really go out there and do anything other than commute until I get a few more rider's courses in and thousands of miles. I already got ripped on here several times for thinking that I could have multiple machines for different applications. But, I may do it anyway. I honestly wish that the CBR250s and ninjas didn't hold there value so well cause I'd like to try one of those maybe as well. I just know that sitting on any of the smaller bikes ergonomically sucks for me and I would probably quit riding altogether.

I've got all the damaged parts off right now and am polishing up what's left. All things considered it's really not that bad. I'm either going to do the Fz1N covnersion kit or a Fz1 Retro Kit (w/2Bros exhaust). Either one will pretty much take care off all my issues and get me back on the road.

Last edited:
I went for a short 5 mile ride after I got my Beast all cleaned up. I rode her up to the bank and took the freeway. She seems to handle just fine and I kind of like the naked feeling. Not sure what I'm going to do but probalby not going to sell her after that ride reminded me that I love the bike and that awesome engine/exhaust note and try to stick to just commuting. I know I can behave myself and not be an A-Hole but will probably end up with a smaller bike that I can beat the crap out of while I learn more skills. I am ready to get ripped for this, but maybe a KLR that I can go dorking around on the many gravel roads around here, harder to get going really fast and a little softer if I were to fall. My buddy rides a dual sport and loves it, so we can go for of those ride together.

View attachment 12836

Man.. I was so hoping to just reply with "Congrats!", etc.. but.. :(

No sense in repeating what many have already said as far as advice for the future.

Glad you're not seriously hurt.

Not sure what I'm going to do but probalby not going to sell her after that ride reminded me that I love the bike and that awesome engine/exhaust note and try to stick to just commuting.

As others have noted, and as many people feared after your first crash, you are not competent enough at this point to handle a motorcycle, certainly not a liter bike, and maybe not even a 600cc machine. You need training time to learn the raw skills and you really need to understand why you can't control the impulse to twist the throttle. If you don't have the self control, and many people don't, please stay off a road motorcycle for you will end up badly injuring yourself, or worse. Your first two crashes were on desolate roads, once you are in the presence of cars the whole dynamic gets ramped up. These are not toys even though they are sold that way. Get some serious training and reevaluate if you are motorcycle rider material. Not everyone is.

As others have noted, and as many people feared after your first crash, you are not competent enough at this point to handle a motorcycle, certainly not a liter bike, and maybe not even a 600cc machine. You need training time to learn the raw skills and you really need to understand why you can't control the impulse to twist the throttle. If you don't have the self control, and many people don't, please stay off a road motorcycle for you will end up badly injuring yourself, or worse. Your first two crashes were on desolate roads, once you are in the presence of cars the whole dynamic gets ramped up. These are not toys even though they are sold that way. Get some serious training and reevaluate if you are motorcycle rider material. Not everyone is.

No doubt, the only reason I do dumb stuff on desolate roads, because they are desolate and the only person I'm likely to hurt is myself. I explained before for some reason having a motorcyle is making me feel/act/think like a teenager again ripping around in beater cars/trucks. I'm learning the hard way that when you screw up in those you just bang up the car, when you screw up on a bike you bang up your body. I'm pretty much done with that now.

When I'm in traffic, I don't do dumb stuff. I'm all business and follow all the training that they give in the BRC classes and more or less obey the rules of the road. It's not fair for me to push it, screw up and not only ruin my life but somebody elses.

I should just suck it up, buy the track suit and just go get the proper training. Which I will do. Just a matter of staying shiny side up long enough to stop spending money fixing my bike and pay for the good stuff.

You should have tried to return the bike and tell tehm it showed up to your house like that.

They may believe you crashed it that fast.

Not to mention you are a candidate for a new screen name.
How about "Wreck it Ralph" lol

I am only messing. I feel bad this has happend twice to you already.

I say Fix it up and learn some self control. A smaller bike is not your answer. I think it will still put you in a ditch. You dont have enough instinct as to when to let off and brake and lean the bike for pete sake and turn.
You have no cornering comfort that is why you go off the road.
Learn to lean. Learn to counter steer. Learn to slow before the turn and roll through it. PRACTICE! No book will make you do it better because your read it you need to work on it at CONTROLABLE SPEEDS!
You can do this.

You should have tried to return the bike and tell tehm it showed up to your house like that.

They may believe you crashed it that fast.

Not to mention you are a candidate for a new screen name.
How about "Wreck it Ralph" lol

I am only messing. I feel bad this has happend twice to you already.

I say Fix it up and learn some self control. A smaller bike is not your answer. I think it will still put you in a ditch. You dont have enough instinct as to when to let off and brake and lean the bike for pete sake and turn.
You have no cornering comfort that is why you go off the road.
Learn to lean. Learn to counter steer. Learn to slow before the turn and roll through it. PRACTICE! No book will make you do it better because your read it you need to work on it at CONTROLABLE SPEEDS!
You can do this.

I like Wreck it Ralph, I almsot started calling myself Crash or Murdock in reference to the A-Team.

The thing that kills me is that I had a couple of really good rides on the Fz6 that I was going way beyond my skill set to keep up with the other riders and I was doing a good job. Probably all false confidence because that bike was so easy to ride. I could hamfist it and stop it a lot easier. I think getting the Fz1 after a 1 month break and I just didn't make the connection how different they are mixed with my inexperience in general. I had the crash and now I'm an idiot all of a sudden. I need a fresh start. Gonna get the bike fixed and do the BRC2 to just redo the basics on my own bike.

Can't decide whether to fix it up proper with new fairings and all or just go gangster style and do the naked conversoin. Any thoughts?

No doubt, the only reason I do dumb stuff on desolate roads, because they are desolate and the only person I'm likely to hurt is myself. I explained before for some reason having a motorcyle is making me feel/act/think like a teenager again ripping around in beater cars/trucks. I'm learning the hard way that when you screw up in those you just bang up the car, when you screw up on a bike you bang up your body. I'm pretty much done with that now.

When I'm in traffic, I don't do dumb stuff. I'm all business and follow all the training that they give in the BRC classes and more or less obey the rules of the road. It's not fair for me to push it, screw up and not only ruin my life but somebody elses.

I should just suck it up, buy the track suit and just go get the proper training. Which I will do. Just a matter of staying shiny side up long enough to stop spending money fixing my bike and pay for the good stuff.
"Mate" forget the track for a year or two,do rider training courses,and plenty of seat time,many people crash on track day`s and most times you will be going a lot faster,get some more experience up first,be patient

Help Needed

Hey Guys I have just purchased a 2002 FZ1. I got it from a guy who had it parked for a long time. He said at least about 2 years....!! I have changed the oil and drained the gas and put new gas in there but the guy I got the bike from had cranked it up. the problem I am facing is that the bike warms up but doesn't stay idle. it keeps cutting off, I can't keep it stay idle. the only thing I can think off is that one of the jets are clogged in one of the carburetors. I have no experience taking them apart. I wanted to know if there is a way to clean the carburetor without taking them apart so at least I can ride it. the bike starts only by the help of the choke and if you let the choke go it stalls. So any help any one can offer I will appreciate it.

Hey Guys I have just purchased a 2002 FZ1. I got it from a guy who had it parked for a long time. He said at least about 2 years....!! I have changed the oil and drained the gas and put new gas in there but the guy I got the bike from had cranked it up. the problem I am facing is that the bike warms up but doesn't stay idle. it keeps cutting off, I can't keep it stay idle. the only thing I can think off is that one of the jets are clogged in one of the carburetors. I have no experience taking them apart. I wanted to know if there is a way to clean the carburetor without taking them apart so at least I can ride it. the bike starts only by the help of the choke and if you let the choke go it stalls. So any help any one can offer I will appreciate it.

Hi if your new to the forum, you may want to cut your message out and post it under the garage mechanical help Gen I help.

If you look at the top tab bar, it goes Home, Gallery, Forum. Click on Forum, then scroll down til you see Garage/Mechanical Help and under there is a Gen I help. Click on that and then click start New Thread.

Anyway, besides all that, chances are the gas is bad and it gummed up the fuel lines and/or fuel pump. How does the inside of the fuel tank look, any signs of rust, or tarnished metal?

If you post as a new thread more members will see it and give you the proper help.

Back