Fork oil weight

What weight fork oil would you guys recommend using? I recently bought a set of black forks and I want to have them gone over before I install them.

Thanks in advance

Craig

What weight fork oil would you guys recommend using? I recently bought a set of black forks and I want to have them gone over before I install them.

Thanks in advance

Craig

Maxima Racing Fork Fluid 5W is what I used in my 07 R1 forks.

It is very close in specs to the recommended Yamaha 01 fork oil.

Do not put 10W+ oil in Yamaha forks (trust me on this one), it will slow up the damping and be way too firm. The oil is too thick for the small stock orifices.

Have a read of this fork oil wiki for more info. Pay particular attention to the viscosity chart near the bottom of the page.
Suspension Fluid - Pvdwiki

Craig, how much do you weigh? ballmead is right, do not go heavy but, for heavier guys (190+) a lot of people have taken the 5w and the 7.5w and mixed them 1:1 to come up with a slightly heavier oil that is just right for slowing the damping for us heavier guys. This is what I intend to do when it is time to service my own forks.

While I agree that 10w oil is too heavy, you should be fine with 7.5w oil. It will increase the dampening just enough, especially since the FZ1 is slightly heavier than the R1 (which the forks were designed for).

Back