? for those W/Paypal experience

As I am not well versed with using paypal (as I despise giving people MY money for a service I can complete w/a postal money order) could someone please explain to me why if I was to purchase an item from another individual and have the transfer completed with paypal i.e. it shows on BOTH ends that the payment was completed to include me picking up the $16.00 and change fees for a "GIFT". Why would the individual not ship the goods I have already paid for and have proof of said transaction from paypal, because the seller says "paypal hasn't verified the funds yet"? Am I alone in thinking that's just a little f'kd up?
Shown as paid w/ my CC and shows transaction ID from paypal, yet seller states
"I called paypal and they said that because you sent it as a personal payment vs a purchase that they review it which may take up to 24 hrs. I assure you I will ship it out tomorrow once the payment has been verified"

Granted it's a mere 24hrs, but I'm still a bit put off. Am I being a douche? I ask because as I stated I am NOT a paypal user or fan (my wife's paypal account) Should I have NOT used the "gift" option for payment? I thought that by doing so I would not stick the seller w/ paypal's fees.....:dontknow:

Did you give him the money as a gift out of the kindness of your heart? Do you expect something in return for your gift?

DO NOT send money as a GIFT unless it truly is a gift unless they are someone you personally.. You have no recourse through paypal now if he does not ship the item.

Last edited:
Yes, using the gift option is a way to avoid paying the fees, I assume that they could "review" any of the transactions that are going on. Since they are not making any money off of them, they just don't want everyone to always gift the money, or else they will have to shut down. Maybe wait the 24 hours before jumping to conclusions. I would say that it is because of Paypal's fault. Most members are trustworthy, and wouldn't take your money and not deliver. Good luck.

All good and normal. I have that happen in few occasion. If your or his account is new, PayPal verify the fund to make sure the transaction is valid. It takes 24-36 hrs usually and the fund should be available. The PayPal fee are enormous! Gotta be close to 30%!!! They just charge me $27 for one transaction alone...

Kind of a pain but it's safe for both parties.

Gift is great, mine is instant but I do have a verified account Dorcas few years now. Where paypal really gets complicated is when you pay with it, then need a refund. Takes about 2 weeks to get cash back in hand, so be careful if you have any doubt about the item. I will use debit card on most everything, in that case. But as said ^, it could take a bit because you have a newer account.
Tom

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

last I checked, pp is charging even for gift now.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. I'd hold off shipping until I received payment as well.

As other have said though, unless you know the person, don't gift it...

As others have said it's not unusual for funds to be held up for a variety of reasons. I would give the seller the benefit of the doubt for now. I can see him not shipping the goods if on his end all he's seeing is a message about waiting for funds to clear. I've had to wait 4-5 days for PayPal e-checks to clear (but I know that's a different scenario).

Yes, using the gift option is a way to avoid paying the fees, I assume that they could "review" any of the transactions that are going on. Since they are not making any money off of them, they just don't want everyone to always gift the money, or else they will have to shut down. Maybe wait the 24 hours before jumping to conclusions. I would say that it is because of Paypal's fault. Most members are trustworthy, and wouldn't take your money and not deliver. Good luck.

That was the case originally, but once sellers started "requesting" the funds as a "gift" PayPal caught on. Now when sending money as a "gift" the sender pays the fees associated with the transfer of said money...

That was the case originally, but once sellers started "requesting" the funds as a "gift" PayPal caught on. Now when sending money as a "gift" the sender pays the fees associated with the transfer of said money...

I didn't know that. This must have been recently. I don't mind the fees, I know that they need their piece for the service. It generally isn't that bad. The buyer doesn't usually pay the fee, it is the seller, so for the most part it works out.

You guys are correct in the fees department. On $550.00 it was $16+ for the "service". I'd rather buy a damn $1.00 postal money order and be done with it. :cuss:

As I am not well versed with using paypal (as I despise giving people MY money for a service I can complete w/a postal money order) could someone please explain to me why if I was to purchase an item from another individual and have the transfer completed with paypal i.e. it shows on BOTH ends that the payment was completed to include me picking up the $16.00 and change fees for a "GIFT". Why would the individual not ship the goods I have already paid for and have proof of said transaction from paypal, because the seller says "paypal hasn't verified the funds yet"? Am I alone in thinking that's just a little f'kd up?
"I called paypal and they said that because you sent it as a personal payment vs a purchase that they review it which may take up to 24 hrs. I assure you I will ship it out tomorrow once the payment has been verified"

Granted it's a mere 24hrs, but I'm still a bit put off. Am I being a douche? I ask because as I stated I am NOT a paypal user or fan (my wife's paypal account) Should I have NOT used the "gift" option for payment? I thought that by doing so I would not stick the seller w/ paypal's fees.....:dontknow:

Never pay anyone for products or services as a gift. If they ask you to I immediately would not deal with them. It limits and may eliminate your rights to dispute issues through PayPal that may arrise. It also means you are violating the terms of use for which you could get banned from PayPal.

ANYONE selling an item should price accordingly to include whatever fees they may have to pay PayPal for the transaction.

Just my 2 copper pieces.....

Last edited:

I had a buyer send me a payment inadvertantly using something called a paypal check. It took several days to clear, and I would not ship what he bought until it cleared. The seller was upset, and I gave him the option of my clicking the refund button and letting him try it again. In the end he decided to wait for it to clear. I shipped his package when it cleared and everyone was happy. The buyer had not even realized he used the paypal check function, but this did take several days to clear. It sounds to me like an honest seller who only dosen't want to be scammed. I would allow a few days before panicking. If you do not recieve a shipping confirmation by then contact paypal.

Back