For riders that like to hear music

Judging from how small the speaker driver is They will not sound good, I want to hear bass these will never provide it.
Understandable, and as an audiophile I loathe the sound of tiny drivers, but I'm willing to make sacrifices to just have something to hear besides the drone of the road and exhaust. My usual headphones don't block out enough wind noise and always come out when I put my helmet on, so if I can remedy those two things I'll live with "thin" sound...if these actually do block enough wind noise.

Most helmets have a pocket corresponding to the ears, if you can get a small but high quality headphone, hack it and place the drivers in the helmet ear pocket that should give a good sound, I would also use a foam ear plug with the least db rating & not push it properly in my ears, this cuts the wind noise drastically. they have helmet speakers in the market that are made to be placed in the ear pocket but they are of very poor quality when it comes to sound.
I use a modular helmet and a behind the head headphone so after I put the helmet on I can readjust the headphone on my ears. get a headphone with a Neodymium Magnet, they provide better bass in general.
This is the headphone I am currently using & it sounds excellent, it has a very low / thin profile,
With Frequency Response 12 Hz - 24 kHz vs the usual 20 Hz - 22khz.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-SHS...31246049?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item1c39f202e1

Last edited:
I also struggle how to best listen to music on the road. I decided to risk 50 bucks and try these:
Fuze Custom Fit Molded Earphones Headphones | Affordable Custom Molded earphones for sports, motorsports, motorcycle helmet speakers, driver earpieces

Due to the horrible weather I haven't had a proper chance to test them. The site does not list frequency response or impedance, however they seem to be adequate. I tested them in the gym and on the production floor at work. They block out 25-30% ambient noise and fit very well. They are easily comparable to my Samsung earbuds which have decent sound quality. I'm happy with them. The real test will be a full days ride, assuming the weather will get warmer.

I made similar headphones using a custom ear plug & a high quality Sony headphones still was not satisfied with the sound/ bass, compared to the over the ear headphone I am using now in a scale 0-10, the earplug headphone was about a 3 while the over the ear headphone is about an 8-9/10

Last edited:
I have a helmet speaker set up consisting of:

- Schuberth C3 Helmet
- Tork X2 Stereo Motorcycle Helmet Speakers
- Cowon D2+
- Foam ear plugs

It's a good setup, I think. I wanted volume and clarity which could cut through the earplugs and the wind noise on the road. The X2 speakers are about maxed out with the mega powerful amp in the Cowon MP3 player but it works well enough for me. In hindsight, I should have gone with the top of the line model but perhaps next winter or something when I have nothing better to do ;)

Last edited:
I have a helmet speaker set up consisting of:

- Schuberth C3 Helmet
- Tork X2 Stereo Motorcycle Helmet Speakers
- Cowon D2+
- Foam ear plugs

It's a good setup, I think. I wanted volume and clarity which could cut through the earplugs and the wind noise on the road. The X2 speakers are about maxed out with the mega powerful amp in the Cowon MP3 player but it works well enough for me. In hindsight, I should have gone with the top of the line model but perhaps next winter or something when I have nothing better to do ;)

Man, since you are using a modular helmet, try these Philips headphones they will give 100% better sound then the Tork x2, I am so pleased with them I am willing to buy them back from you if you don't like them!, the helmet pushes them against your ears a little & you know what that does to bass production, together with your amp & spotify or Pandora you'll never ride without music again, the paid Spotify lets you save your play list favorites & listen offline.

I tried at least 10 headphones before I settled on these.

Last edited:
I might consider that some time in the future but for now I'm happy enough. I'm not an audiophile by any means and having the earplugs in every time is also another factor that reduces quality.

I just load my MP3 library on a 32 GB microSD and put it on shuffle. The Cowon D2+ has 36 hours of battery life so it makes it extremely convenient on multi-day trips where you're on the road 12+ hours a day

I might consider that some time in the future but for now I'm happy enough. I'm not an audiophile by any means and having the earplugs in every time is also another factor that reduces quality.

I just load my MP3 library on a 32 GB microSD and put it on shuffle. The Cowon D2+ has 36 hours of battery life so it makes it extremely convenient on multi-day trips where you're on the road 12+ hours a day

I do use a foam earplug + the headphone with this amplifier, 95% wind noise gone plus very clear & comfortable listening volume.
FiiO Rocky E02I Black E02IB E2I B Portable Headphone Amplifier w Control New | eBay

On the cheap, (under 20.00) skull candy makes a single button control headphone the I put through the wringer daily.

I also have a set of beats headphones (came with HTC rezound) that do even better.

With the skull candy, good fit in the ear and the driver does not protrude out to get caught on hats/helmet.

Sent from: GS4

I went to america and found it wayyyyyyyy $$$$ too much for internet.I have lots of cd's ranging from metal to electronic 80's to classical etc over 4000 songs so how can you get sick of playing your own music.In life people collect a vast amount to music either in cd form or mp3 via iTunes or amazon mp3.create a playlist for each genre i have easy listening and metal and driving tunes.I like the tune in radio app for knac.com great app for any music and its free apart from your internet connection.

Back