Float like a butterfly Sting like Bee

Ali made that phrase famous long ago. A nice internet article by an army canine trainer explains that while the Pit Bull is all the rage now they are by far not the most dangerous dog out there. They are relatively slow, short legged, all mouth, and fight toe to toe, so to speak. On his list of 10 more badass dogs he lists the Doberman, the Rottweiler, the Bull Mastiff, and some dogs I never even heard of before his article. He points out that the size of these dogs, their uniform build, and their use of several tactics, including Ali's bob and weave and the ability to use their powerful, and snakelike quickness of their long necks would take the pitbulls in heartbeat.

I want to make it perfectly clear that I wanted Yogi because of my childhood memory of Abbey, our Doberman. I should have read a little further because it turns out female Dobermans are perfectly protectors of home and family but feel no need to square off with aggressive dogs in the street.

So I meet this woman in Petco, my age, but huge, holding onto a 9 month old 65 pound male neutered Pit Bull. I don't have Yogi with me. The dog seems sweet enough. He washes my face with kisses and the woman tells me she got the dog "from a man" who didn't want him anymore. She also tells me that she lives with her 85 year old dad who loves the dog but is too feeble to play with him. She, herself, works a million hours. She says, as he's licking me, he loves men and really could use a playmate but no one wants to let their dog play with a pit bull, "even though he's so gentle."

My mom is listening to all this and very skeptical when I offer to let her dog, Blueboy, meet Yogi at Petco to see how it goes. Yogi is now 6 months old, closing in on 80 pounds and has his big dog teeth. So I give it a try the next day. As soon as Yogi sees Blueboy he starts growling. He's not like this with most dogs. Mostly he just wants to get to them so he can play, no growling. Like two idiots we let the dogs get closer until both she and I lose control of the dogs. Her dog lunges straight at Yogi's face, he darts the thrust and quickly grabs the pit bulls neck and throws him down with his tremendous rear feet strength. I grab the leash and yank Yogi off the dog while a Petco employee helps pull her dog away. Yogi snaps at me grazing my fingers in frustration and then once removed from the situation from the store becomes his normal happy self.

Because I'm that stupid and my mom's 8 year old lab mix just runs out of energy after half a day I run into a guy with a 1 year old Pit Bull. Same song and dance, nobody to play with and his dog's in the car. He claims to have paid $3000 for him because he is the son of a multiple champion dog and that he's a show dog, not a fighter. We're in a big open field. I say: "take him out of the car, let's see what happens." He is about 70 pounds, doesn't move a muscle but Yogi is growling again. He turns his dog around to let Yogi "sniff him." I ease Yogi over and the pit bull quickly turns and snaps at Yogi's head. Once again, in a flash, Yogi dodges his lunge, goes under his head and body slams him into the man's car. We pull the dogs away. Either Yogi has a 6th sense of aggressive dogs or he just plain out hates pit bulls. He loves the neighbor's big lab and he treats my mom's dog like she's his mother. Thankfully Yogi has shown no aggression to people, no matter what size or color.

I'm a little slow but I've learned when Yogi does his big dog growl, keep away. I can't even imagine what he'll be capable of when full grown. But with me, my mom, and her dog Brandy he's the sweetest dog. He even licked the trainer (I've been taking him to private lessons). The trainer loves him too. I told him about those two experiences and that everything I read says to socialize him at a young age. He says there's a female Akita that he believes Yogi would like. I'll leave it to his judgement I guess, with a close eye on the situation.

Should never introduce new dogs while they're on the leash. The tension on the leash excites them and adds nervousness. And is it really "fighting". If theres no blood, let them work it out. They're animals and they have to show dominance. I also hope Yogi has been neutered. Its right at that time for it. That will mellow him out.

That said... I have a pitbull and a rhodesian ridgeback. The ridgeback is way more aggressive. Both were rescues from a young age.

Oh and that Ridgeback is a very solid and athletic dog. My friend has three. They were lying all over me and he commented that's strange, they're usually not that friendly. In all my years I can only remember a couple of dogs that scared me. One was a trained guard dog, a huge black shepherd named Sigh. He didn't like anyone but his owner, my uncle.

The Ridgebacks I believe were trained to take down lions. I suppose I could look that up but I'm too lazy.

Sort of..thats just sort of an exaggeration. They were the reason we have the phrase "keep a lion at bay". They held off the lions from leaving until the hunters could get there to take it down.

But yeah, mine will fight at the dog park. Mostly its the owners I worry about, because dogs just need to work it out. Let them off the leash and acclimate that way. let them fight it out unless they will injure eachother.

Were you having Yogi and the Pit Bulls in question meet face to face? Because with any new introduction they need to meet butt to butt so they can get each others scent, and unless I am reading this wrong it sounds like your dog was the aggressor in both cases since he began to growl first.

There could of been something about the scent of both those dogs that your dog just didn't like, but it also could be due to the fact that he was not yet fixed, and as stated before they were asserting dominance and could of worked it out. Not being there in person I really cannot say, I can just go off what you posted.

I have a 3 year old Female Pit Bull, she likes other dogs and meets many of them as we have made it a point to socialize her as much as possible when we take her on walks, hikes, etc. She has only really gotten into it with one dog, Her mother. The two of them just don't like each other. I would venture to say she has met well over 100 dogs on the trails in the 1.5 years we have owned her, and she came from a home where she shared a yard with a Lab and another Pit Bull.

How much socialization has Yogi had? If he spends most of his time with only 1 other dog that can cause him to be over protective of you as well.

Were you having Yogi and the Pit Bulls in question meet face to face? Because with any new introduction they need to meet butt to butt so they can get each others scent, and unless I am reading this wrong it sounds like your dog was the aggressor in both cases since he began to growl first.

There could of been something about the scent of both those dogs that your dog just didn't like, but it also could be due to the fact that he was not yet fixed, and as stated before they were asserting dominance and could of worked it out. Not being there in person I really cannot say, I can just go off what you posted.

I have a 3 year old Female Pit Bull, she likes other dogs and meets many of them as we have made it a point to socialize her as much as possible when we take her on walks, hikes, etc. She has only really gotten into it with one dog, Her mother. The two of them just don't like each other. I would venture to say she has met well over 100 dogs on the trails in the 1.5 years we have owned her, and she came from a home where she shared a yard with a Lab and another Pit Bull.

How much socialization has Yogi had? If he spends most of his time with only 1 other dog that can cause him to be over protective of you as well.

All good points. I'll keep trying.

My female akita was like that with Rottie's and female Boxers. Any other breed no problems. You have to keep at it. It's important to socialize the dawg so that no matter the breed, he won't attack. Xenia never initiated attacks on any other breeds. There were subtle things going on with the two I mentioned that I barely recognized before there was teeth and snarls and me waiting for a break in the action to get my dawg.

I'm 5'3 and at the time I had Xenia was around 140 lbs. Not small but not big either. Xenia was around 130 lbs most of her adult life, a little more after she tore her cruciate ligament and the vet didn't fix it right.

With persistence I was able to get her to where we could walk past a rottie or female boxer without drama.

I almost forgot, sometimes it's the vibes you're putting off. If you start thinking that something's gonna happen, the dawg picks up on it and something happens.

Owner emotion: This is what I would say is happening too Norm. When Yogi is with you and you meet up with any other happy-go-lucky family dog, you are likely relaxed and jovial about the greeting. When you saw the pit bulls, it's likely that you were a little tense and sharper with the leash, sort of "easing" Yogi into the greeting. This is what he senses as fear on your part which puts him into high alert. He's approaching the pit bull with the same apprehension that you are but knows he must do what ever he can to protect you from what you've perceived as a danger without even knowing it.

The best way to introduce dogs is at the dog parks. There are two gates for a reason. The first is to let you both into the park and release your dog from his leash. The second is to allow your dog to enter the park alone. waldo877 is correct in that dogs should not be introduced on a leash. When the dogs at the park see a dog on a leash enter, it creates an immediate problem and all the others will not take to the leashed dog kindly. The first few times, there will be some turmoil which you need to be prepared for. But to deal with it inside the park, you cannot use the leash. You have to restrain the dog while commanding him to behave.

We're in for the time of our life ourselves sporting two Rotties who are brothers. They will protect each other just as much as they will protect the family so we are taking every step along the way to insure these large-breed animals will be socialized with all other breeds as well as people from all walks of life. They've already met the mailman. They will go on to meet firemen, police, UPS, FedEx and any other uniformed folks. We have two doggie parks to bring them to. They are meeting neighbors and their dogs already.

One good thing about Rotties is that they are not aggressive by nature and are rather passive and subdued. Keen and alert like a Dobie is but not quite as quick to react. Dobies are very agile, quick and smart animals. If a Dobie cannot do something one way, they will figure out another way to accomplish what they want. Rotties will give up easier and accept defeat in a puzzled situation. They are also rather quick and agile when they are fresh but they run out of stamina quicker than a Dobie.

I ramble too much some times..... :rolleyes: :cheers:

Back