Flat and Satin paint finish

Phil_RC_1

Just curious what everyone thinks of the new trend of painting bikes with a Flat or Satin finish paint instead of the typical gloss finish?

Personally, I like it, but I'm getting ready to have my wifes bike painted and I am concerned about resale value. Would that limit the market for the bike? or, since it is the "new" thing to do, maybe it would increase it's sell-ability?

Phil

Just curious what everyone thinks of the new trend of painting bikes with a Flat or Satin finish paint instead of the typical gloss finish?

Personally, I like it, but I'm getting ready to have my wifes bike painted and I am concerned about resale value. Would that limit the market for the bike? or, since it is the "new" thing to do, maybe it would increase it's sell-ability?

Phil

While I think it looks ok on certain bikes I'm not sure that it makes the bike easier to sell. I think the contrary is true since you're limiting the number of prospective buyers that will like that finish.

BMW started this trend waaaaaaaaay back in 1978 when they came out with their matte silver R100RS sport tourer, it was very controversial back then and although better accepted today it is still controversial. I like it on some bikes but I think I would get tired of it long term, nothing beats a clean and polished glossy painted surface for beauty. To each their own.

Thanx for all the opinions. As it stands, I'm still not sure if the wife is gonna want to keep it, so gloss maybe my best option. Not really a big deal either way. I was thinking of doing something similar to the Desmo

146_1006_04_z+ducati_desmosedici_d16RR+left_side.jpg

That should look great on a Ninja 650r

Most sportbikes that have been painted usually means it has been down. It lowers the value in my eyes.
That is why we got such a great deal. I checked it out mechanically and the only thing that seems to be wrong is the fairings scuffed up.

BTW: for resale, I will let the buyer know that it was downed. My conscious:lol: wouldn't have it any other way

BMW started this trend waaaaaaaaay back in 1978 when they came out with their matte silver R100RS sport tourer, it was very controversial back then and although better accepted today it is still controversial. I like it on some bikes but I think I would get tired of it long term, nothing beats a clean and polished glossy painted surface for beauty. To each their own.

I vaguely remember that. I'm not sure if I would have called it a "trend" back then. Now, though, quite a few 2010 and newer bikes have the option. But, I agree that resale value might be best served with a nice glossy finish. I still personally like the look.

The flat and satin finishes are no where even close to as durable as a good clear coat. I like the way it looks in some cases but I can repair clear coats.

Back