Flasher relay mystery

EISTO

Hi Everyone,

I've been searching the forums for answers to a paradox related to the Turn signal relay. After looking at the GenII wiring diagram I find it difficult to understand that the relay can provide the same flashing frequency in both regular turn mode (2 lights) vs hazard mode (all 4).
Bear with me for a moment and I'll explain:

1) The FZ1 relay seems to be 2-pin and serves all 4 turn signals
2) It is well known that the flashing frequency depends on the load, so if one bulb fails or is replaced by -say- a LED, the frequency changes.

In hazard mode the electrical load of the relay is twice that of regular turn mode, so why does it manage to flash at the same frequency?

This might seem a pointless question but I've just bought a couple of Oberon bar end signals and need to know as much as possible about the system before fiddling around with it.

Einar

In hazard mode the electrical load of the relay is twice that of regular turn mode, so why does it manage to flash at the same frequency?
I know nothing about Gen 2 wiring. But many modern turn singles systems use a module in the system.

Ricochet,

How do you mean, is the relay integrated in the driving computer or something like that?

/E
It may be, but do not know in this case. For instance my 07 Vette does not use a relay. It uses a module that is essentially a mini computer. It in turns talks to the BCM (Body control module) a larger computer in the car. The BCM also talks to the ECU. Electrical stuff in cars and motorcycles is getting very complex these days.

I believe the newer Harley's use a Module in their turn single and security systems also.

I believe the newer Harley's use a Module in their turn single and security systems also.

Closer examination of the handbook actually shows the relay as a separate unit located under the seat. According the specifications the relay is:

FE246BH/DENSO, "Full Transistor relay", 21 W × 2.0 +3.4 W. (Not self cancelling)

So, it's a relay, but "Full transistor" tells me absolutely nothing. Searched the web but can't find anything about it. My guess is that it's not thermal or mechanical but functioning through heavy-duty transistor circuits. Someone who could enlighten me on this? It would be greatly appreciated

I believe that it is whats refereed to as an "electronic relay". meaning that it has an small timing circuit inside (probably some kind of IC with a built in clock).

The good thing is that this makes it easier to change to some kind of LED flashers, since you don't have to worry about the load being right like one had to do with the older type of relays.

But I can be wrong, I am not a electronics engineer.

Thanks for the tip :)

It seems the best way forward now is to simply mount my new LED indicators and see what happens when I turn them on.

/E

Spoke (typed?) too soon! The CustomLED part # is ELFR-1. Unplug the O.E. relay under the seat and replace it with this unit and my signals and 4-way flashers work normally with my aftermarket LED units.

Spoke (typed?) too soon! The CustomLED part # is ELFR-1. Unplug the O.E. relay under the seat and replace it with this unit and my signals and 4-way flashers work normally with my aftermarket LED units.

That's brilliant JacobDahl, just ordered one from e-bay. Thanks for the tip!

/Einar

Back