Fjr 1300

Vagabond

I am looking at buying a 2012 FJR 1300 and I was wondering if anyone here had one and could give me tips on what to look for on a used bike. I am having bad back problems at the moment and I don't want a cruiser and I am told the FJR is comfortable for long rides.

We have several FJR owners on the forum, past and present. Doug (Onesizefitsall) had an FJR for years and I believe he put 90,000 miles on his. He'll be a wealth of information

I think they may have a couple at Sportland in Champaign. Check it out for a test ride. I was talking to Jerrod and he was hinting that I may like the Connie better for performance.

I am looking at the one at Sportland and taking it for a test ride on Monday after I finish teaching my class. I will let you know how I get on.

I would ride up and join you if it wasn't for the fact that I work until 4:30 and it would be about 5:30 when I get there.

Let me know your impressions about it and see if they have a Connie to try.

Years ago, I had a 2006 FJR. I really liked that bike. I sold it after two very close encounters with minivans in two days, told myself I was done with motorcycles.
I almost bought another one, but found a used FZ1 that was set up for touring. On longer rides you will like the FJR better on shorter stuff and around town the
FZ1 is a much ligher bike to deal with. I never liked the FJR AE (clutchless) models that Yamaha came out with. I think you will like the FJR.

I used to have an fjr. I've got a first generation fz1 now and the sitting position is much better on this bike than the fjr. My back is having less problems on the fz1 than the fjr.

Thats strange I felt the seating position on the Fjr was better when I tried it lol

Seating position and seat comfort are very subjective and varies from person to person.

What time would you be at Sportland for your test ride? I may be able to leave the office a bit earlier.

I am looking at the one at Sportland and taking it for a test ride on Monday after I finish teaching my class. I will let you know how I get on.

That's just what you need to do-ride it first. Every bike is different for every rider. The FJR is a great bike for long rides, it will eat up the miles no problem and the power from that 1300 is real nice-smooth! Jump over to the FJRforum.com, after logging in spend some time reading all about the bike and pricing too.

They are having a FJR national gathering in LaCrosse in mid September called NAFO (National FJR Owners) If you get one or really want to learn how people farkle their bike for them this is the place to be. All bikes are welcome if you wanted to meet and ride with some FJR's.

I would go but I have been to LaCrosse (awesome riding) before and chose to ride my Hondapotamas to the Eastern FJR owners meet a week later in Maggie Valley NC. Never been that far east, Oh boy!

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions, I am still real involved with the forum under a different name. Gotta hide from the NSA ;)

Last edited:
Seating position and seat comfort are very subjective and varies from person to person.

What time would you be at Sportland for your test ride? I may be able to leave the office a bit earlier.

I might be able to swing up there before work. I have to be in Mattoon between 6:00 and 6:30 pm to start my shift. Let me know when you'll be there. It would be nice to see you guys again.

That's just what you need to do-ride it first. Every bike is different for every rider. The FJR is a great bike for long rides, it will eat up the miles no problem and the power from that 1300 is real nice-smooth! Jump over to the FJRforum.com, after logging in spend some time reading all about the bike and pricing too.

They are having a FJR national gathering in LaCrosse in mid September called NAFO (National FJR Owners) If you get one or really want to learn how people farkle their bike for them this is the place to be. All bikes are welcome if you wanted to meet and ride with some FJR's.

I would go but I have been to LaCrosse (awesome riding) before and chose to ride my Hondapotamas to the Eastern FJR owners meet a week later in Maggie Valley NC. Never been that far east, Oh boy!

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions, I am still real involved with the forum under a different name. Gotta hide from the NSA ;)

Make sure you go to wheels Through Time Museum while your there. Lots of nice old bikes . I could have spent all day there,

Back