fix for having to blip the throttle to get the bike to fire up

oldschoolsdime92

Anyone done this? I tried it today, and it worked like a charm.

Fix for Hard Starting....Adjust Throttle Position Sensor

My new stock FZ1 has a strange start up procedure. Whether the engine is hot or cold, I do not need any choke, but I do need to crack the throttle. This is annoying and is bad for the starter and engine. I don't want to wear out the starter and I don't want to over rev the engine at start up.

I noticed that the throttle position sensor (attached to the #4 carb) allows for adjustment. The "holes" for the mounting screws are actually oval, allowing for adjustment by turning the sensor a few degrees. Mine was set 3/4 of the way clock wise. The two sensor mounting screws are tamper-proof special fasteners. I had to remove them with pliers and replace them with 4mm x 10mm Allen head metric machine screws (plus #8 flat washers and #8 lock washers). Do not loosen the silver colored Phillips head screws (they do not have to be removed).

The sensor was set at 3/4 full clock wise from the factory, so I reset it to full counter clock wise and tightened the screws. This only amounts to about 7 degrees of rotation.

Now the bike starts up with no choke and no throttle. It starts up faster so I don't have to hold the starter button nearly as long. The bike runs fine with no bad side effects. It idles smooth and makes good power (I am not claiming that the bike will run better, only that it now starts better). I just made the adjustment today, I will get back to you after a few dozen more starts.

I think this alters the ignition timing and/or cracks open the EXUP valve, but I am not sure. All I know is that it now starts like a normal bike

Anyone done this? I tried it today, and it worked like a charm.

Fix for Hard Starting....Adjust Throttle Position Sensor

My new stock FZ1 has a strange start up procedure. Whether the engine is hot or cold, I do not need any choke, but I do need to crack the throttle. This is annoying and is bad for the starter and engine. I don't want to wear out the starter and I don't want to over rev the engine at start up.

I noticed that the throttle position sensor (attached to the #4 carb) allows for adjustment. The "holes" for the mounting screws are actually oval, allowing for adjustment by turning the sensor a few degrees. Mine was set 3/4 of the way clock wise. The two sensor mounting screws are tamper-proof special fasteners. I had to remove them with pliers and replace them with 4mm x 10mm Allen head metric machine screws (plus #8 flat washers and #8 lock washers). Do not loosen the silver colored Phillips head screws (they do not have to be removed).

The sensor was set at 3/4 full clock wise from the factory, so I reset it to full counter clock wise and tightened the screws. This only amounts to about 7 degrees of rotation.

Now the bike starts up with no choke and no throttle. It starts up faster so I don't have to hold the starter button nearly as long. The bike runs fine with no bad side effects. It idles smooth and makes good power (I am not claiming that the bike will run better, only that it now starts better). I just made the adjustment today, I will get back to you after a few dozen more starts.

I think this alters the ignition timing and/or cracks open the EXUP valve, but I am not sure. All I know is that it now starts like a normal bike

Here ya go Brandt, read this link and check your settings because while the bike runs fine and starts quickly, there is a procedure in setting the TPS which should be followed so everything is running properly in the future.

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/throttlepositionsensoradjustment.html

Last edited:
My Triumph Speedmaster (EFI) had directions for correcting the TPI but they used the voltage comng from it, vs a needle indication but they also warned that setting it exactly would have a major affect on how the bike would run. I believe on the gen I bikes the TPI, RPM, and vacuum all work together to determine how much fuel is flowing and when the TPI is advanced without reguard to anything else, I believe there will be a little more fuel or perhaps even advance at all throttle input levels. It's probably best to go by the manual and set it correctly. Triumph really ragged on getting it right or suffer the consquences.

Well being a previous triumph owner i will say that they are agarvatingly finicky when it comes to tunes and adjustments. I adjusted the sensor yesterday as i read in the tech tips.This morning I went back And adjusted it per the manual, and I had to move it just a tiny bit to get it on 5. I cant tell much difference, except a cold start isnt as easy.

Tps

Hi,

May I know, by turning TPS counterclockwise is to close or open the flies more? I tried dynamic adjustment by Ivan and result is slightly better than stock setting at 5000 rpm.

Back