Fitting an R1 Rear Shock

Fitting an R1 Rear Shock to Gen 2 FZ1

I thought I'd start this thread it may have been done before but here we go.

I thought the rear suspension on my FZ1 was a bit lacking if performance and adjustment so I got to thinking will a R1 Rear shock fit. I managed to get a 07 Rear R1 shock off ebay for £20 GBP which has only covered 500 miles (so the seller said!!!!

I removed the EXUP servo to get access, once remove I unbolted the original and compared the two shocks side by side (see picture). As you can probably see the original shock is 15mm longer.
01102010361.jpg

I trail fitted it anyway which as you can imagine lowered the rear quite a lot. This picture shows it fitted. I had to remove the rectifier pack and the plate it sits on because the R1 shock top reservoir gets in the way.
01102010363.jpg

01102010364.jpg

To compensate for the shorter shock I purchase 1 x RH threaded rose joint + 1 x LH threaded rose joint and a link bar with right and left hand thread at opposite ends this acts a rear ride height adjuster, as you can see I bought the wrong length a new one arrives tomorrow. I trial fitted it anyway and achieved the correct original ride height but with only a few threads left at each end. The rose joints are 10mm ultra high perfromance and the link bar is chrome moly steel so should be more than up to the job.
01102010365.jpg

I'll post more pictures and info tomorrow when I get the new longer link bar.

Hopefully this thread may help other FZ1 rider.

Last edited:
While it has been done befor I don't know if it has been documented like this! If at all possible I would recomend finding a way to get back all your original ride hight or even going slightly higher as this will dramatically effect the way the bike handels.

UPDATE

Got the longer link section and it's now fitted
05102010371.jpg

Before and after
05102010368.jpg

05102010373.jpg

With this installed I can rise and lower the rear by about 50mm

The top reservoir is close to the rear subframe but it does miss by about 3mm
05102010375.jpg

I've now got to relocate the rectifier, theres plenty of room just got to make a mounting plate. I'll post a pciture when it's made.

have you ridden the motorcycle with the new shock set up?

Yes I finished the bike today and rode it this afternoon, the rear has more feel, more controlled. Plus I've jacked the rear by 15mm so it turns quicker.

It's made the front feel soft by comparison so I'll try and stiffen that up. I'll probably look into fitting the R1 front forks to complete the package.

Last edited:
dude, you will kill the linkage..

The link bar is made of chrome moly steel and the rose joints are motorsport grade ultra high performance 10mm steel. The original is aluminium alloy so I should say the new linkage is stronger but we'll see, if the rear of the bike collapses then you'll be right.
Lets hope the motorsport dealer knows his business.

BUT I will definately be keeping an eye on it :)

Finally finished the rectifier bracket, it now sits upright instead of flat to make room for the shock reservior
12102010405.jpg

Also just bought a mini blowtorch so I can fit my copperdawg modded flies plus also about to fit viper stripes to match my Roof helmet should look cold (if it doesn't I can alway take them off DOH)

What is the update on how well this set-up is holding together? R1 shocks can be found for a song. I dig the DIY ethos on this one... may have to pm you on some of the details :cowboy:. Stock rear shock is not very inspiring. Also, it's easier to find modded and aftermarket R1 shocks than it is FZ1 specific bits.

What is the update on how well this set-up is holding together? R1 shocks can be found for a song. I dig the DIY ethos on this one... may have to pm you on some of the details :cowboy:. Stock rear shock is not very inspiring. Also, it's easier to find modded and aftermarket R1 shocks than it is FZ1 specific bits.

The bike is now back on the road and works really well, I took the wife out for a blast yesterday to see how it handled two-up and I have to say I'm well impressed. It probably cost me £60 GBP all-in to do the conversion which I would say is a real bargain.

The rear end is now adjustable for rebound - compression - spring tension and ride height.

I'm now thinking of replacing the front forks for R1 items. Theres a complete 2008 R1 front end inc wheel, fender etc for £795 GBP just need to do a bit of investigation work first.

The bike is now back on the road and works really well, I took the wife out for a blast yesterday to see how it handled two-up and I have to say I'm well impressed. It probably cost me £60 GBP all-in to do the conversion which I would say is a real bargain.

The rear end is now adjustable for rebound - compression - spring tension and ride height.

I'm now thinking of replacing the front forks for R1 items. Theres a complete 2008 R1 front end inc wheel, fender etc for £795 GBP just need to do a bit of investigation work first.

can't remember exactly, but if my memories didn't fail me, 04-06 R1 forks will fit perfectly. you just need to change the brake calipers. upper tubes are the same diameter as FZ1's triple clamps.

FZ1George: You should consider making a kit (dog bones, rectifier relocation bracket), I know I'd pay for it.

The height adjuster would be useful on any FZ1 I would imagine whether it was used for the shorter riders out there or to quicken the steering a tad or just for looks. If you need the parts drop me a line and I'll either send the details or buy the parts for you and send them on.:D

i may have to try this?

I find the stock rear shock brutal.... i have run out of adjustment.. time to try something. Was thinking about Ohlins.,:) But this sounds like its a cost effective mod...thanks!

I know this is a old thread but this is a sweet mod i am in the process of doing and the shock in the pics appears to be a 2004-2006 model just to clairify... Still a very clever mod i would love the part numbers for the adjustible dogg bone you created if possible thanks.......

Hi there could you please tell me the exact size of the joining link you used between
the two rose joints, and also are the rose joints narrower than the original dog bone
if so did you use spacers?
can I buy these products online?
thanks Gregor.

Back