First Service

I am going to be doing the first service (500miles) on my bike. I was hoping someone could point me to a good thread or just tell me what i should be checking and doing besides the oil change.
THanks

Of all the things the owners manual suggests, I've found that besides oil (and don't switch to synthetic yet!) adjusting the chain is most important. A good lube of the clutch cable falls next in line.

I changed my oil at about 150 miles, then 600miles. Other than that I just lube the chain and check to see if it needs adjusting every few hundred miles. I'm currently at about 1,300 miles on my 09 that I bought a few months ago.

I changed the oil at 79 miles after an accelerated break-in (heavy compression/decompression) and switched to full synthetic at that time. The bike runs top notch and has never leaked nor burned a drop.

With the technology and the tight tolerances that Yamaha uses, there is no reason to not swap to synthetic (if that is your choice) for the first change. Most racing teams, be they auto, truck, drag, bike, etc... all use full synthetic from the day they build the engine. So does Corvette, Porsche, BMW, Lamborghini and several others. Those never see "dino" lube.

Clean, lube and adjust the chain, check all fluids after changing the oil and filter, check tire wear and air pressures, re-torque all accessible nuts and bolts to spec... You'll be good to go!

I changed the oil at 79 miles after an accelerated break-in (heavy compression/decompression) and switched to full synthetic at that time. The bike runs top notch and has never leaked nor burned a drop.

With the technology and the tight tolerances that Yamaha uses, there is no reason to not swap to synthetic (if that is your choice) for the first change. Most racing teams, be they auto, truck, drag, bike, etc... all use full synthetic from the day they build the engine. So does Corvette, Porsche, BMW, Lamborghini and several others. Those never see "dino" lube.

Clean, lube and adjust the chain, check all fluids after changing the oil and filter, check tire wear and air pressures, re-torque all accessible nuts and bolts to spec... You'll be good to go!

... yes, but you're assuming heavy compression/decompression break in was done properly. You know what they say about assumptions!

^ Hmm. For me the break-in period was by the book, but didn't take long at all. I rode a bunch. Tomorrow will be 5 months since owning my 07 (Brand new left over) it currently has 7478 on the ticker. I will be at 10K before it's too cold for me to ride, and that will be in Dec.

I am going to be doing the first service (500miles) on my bike. I was hoping someone could point me to a good thread or just tell me what i should be checking and doing besides the oil change.
THanks

I didn't exactly go by the book but I didn't flog the bike either.
As the bike is still being run in, I put mineral oil in again at 1000 klms and will change it to semi-synthetic at 5000 klms.
My only advise is that if you want to keep your warranty make sure a registered bike mechanic performs your services for the warranty period.

Besides the stuff above, the biggest thing I found early on was the bike quickly developed a ridiculous amount of throttle cable slack.

Easy to check, and easy to adjust right up by the throttle. I kept removing free play with the engine running until the idle sped up, the backed the adjuster off a half turn. Seems perfect.

Back