First ride with upgraded rear suspension

NightTrain

I took a very brief spin at low speeds today, after installing a different rear shock, the specimen being a modified rear OEM shock that was re-valved by AfterShocks. I Bought the shock from forum member "loosenut"- if he cares to chime in he can perhaps give more of the specifics... anyhow, I am pleased thus far. I'm a big fan of making suspension upgrades (my last bike got completely different front and rear suspension thrown at it) and thus far I'm not dissapointed at all with the unit, so far so good. Made a few changes to the front as well and I'm certainly in the ball-park now.

To be honest, I was not really liking the bike (power aside) too much at first, the rear end was just too soft and loose at anything above a 6/10 pace. Great at slow commuting on city roads, but not good in a fast sweeper-especially one that has a few dips in it. Too much wallow, too much work. I will sacrifice comfort for a set-up that can inspire confidence.

Tommorrow, out on some twisty roads, I will push a little harder and fiddle with the setings a bit more. The pre-load settings are very close just need to dial in minor adjustments. Next will be front ride height, and swapping out the crapola oem tires for some pilots. The front forks are pretty good, not in a huge rush to modify them. The potential of this bike is good, I'm having a good time making it what it should be :stirpot:

Last edited:
I expect after the faster ride today, you will be much happier with the high speed handling, especially bumpy sweepers. You may need to run the forks a few clicks softer on the compression settings I provided as I did increase the fork compression to balance out with the Penske that replaced the modded stocker.

Here's a link to my original post about the shock.

http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii-mods/7280-better-shock-less.html

Last edited:
I expect after the faster ride today, you will be much happier with the high speed handling, especially bumpy sweepers. You may need to run the forks a few clicks softer on the compression settings I provided as I did increase the fork compression to balance out with the Penske that replaced the modded stocker.

Here's a link to my original post about the shock.

http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii-mods/7280-better-shock-less.html

I actually went a little stiffer, as I had to grab a handfull of front a few times and the front was diving somewhat quick, trying to slow that down a little. Did some faster riding today and the bike is alot better, was able to run some good lean angles at speed without holding on for dear life. I have little faith in the stock tires, so once those get swapped I'll start blasting some turns even harder and see where I'm at. Might try a little more pre-load up front, see how that feels. The rear needs nothing, it's spot-on thus far.

Pirelli has a commercial that states "power is nothing without control", so very true. On this bike, it seams the suspension is fighting a loosing battle to the all-out power it produces. The rear shock hasd been a huge leap forward, the bike is comming along nicely. Now to do something about the flex-o-matic rearsets, needs some washers and better inserts. Gotta' be picky to make it what I want it to be :rmwl:

It's good so far. Not nearly as pimp as the penske, but it's doing it's thing. We were talking about adding the remote bits to it, which I may do sooner or later. Having taken off the stock passenger pillions (replaced with evotech exhaust hanger), I know have the PERFECT mounting spot for a reservoir/remote pre-load adjuster. The rear is done for now, going to play with the front. I have a pair of racetech springs for my previous bikes that I never installed, may see if I can exchange it for some Fz1 fork bits.

Again, I do apreciate the deal :Rockon:

It's good so far. Not nearly as pimp as the penske, but it's doing it's thing. We were talking about adding the remote bits to it, which I may do sooner or later. Having taken off the stock passenger pillions (replaced with evotech exhaust hanger), I know have the PERFECT mounting spot for a reservoir/remote pre-load adjuster. The rear is done for now, going to play with the front. I have a pair of racetech springs for my previous bikes that I never installed, may see if I can exchange it for some Fz1 fork bits.

Again, I do apreciate the deal :Rockon:

if you could, slap on some racetech gold valvings as well. but that would need an experienced suspension tech to do it well..

Back