First Hand Gun

I have been doing some tactical shooting classes this past year. Shooting a stationary target is easy. Try it while you are moving and the target is moving. Bad guys don't sit still so prepare for all sorts of situations.

I know. I got a lot of practice both in the Army and afterward in competition. Not easy, but I know I can do it. ;) This and lots of practice as a kid picking off squirrels, chipmunks, skunks, groundhogs, and porcupines. :Rockon:

Yep, there's nothing like the effect a big fat projectile traveling super sonic has. Just that the magazines hold fewer rounds than 9mm.

One can always argue about accuracy and take down power over capacity.

Sorry to nit pick, but the .45 ACP is SUB-sonic in most cases. Usually around 900 ft/s in 230 gr bullets. There are a few 185 gr versions that exceed the speed of sound. (speed of sound ~1116 ft/sec)

Eric, I'm very surprised to hear that a 9mm wouldn't penetrate a leather jacket. I wonder what kind of ammo. FMJ, JHP?

Sorry to nit pick, but the .45 ACP is SUB-sonic in most cases. Usually around 900 ft/s in 230 gr bullets. There are a few 185 gr versions that exceed the speed of sound. (speed of sound ~1116 ft/sec)

I stand corrected, we were talking about .357 and that velocity stuck in my head when referring to the .45 ACP.

I found that it allows me to just swing up and be on point naturally. That clinched it for me.

The SA XDM was what I wanted to get but just didn't point as naturally.

I pulled the trigger and ordered a Glock G19 Gen4. I don't have a 9mm so it fits in.

Don't forget some 33 round mags. (the fun sticks) That's one of the best things about the G19. I need to get some 17 round mags for mine too. I would love to get an XDM at some point, but I really do love my Glock. :woot:

My next hand gun purchase will be either a S&W Shield, a SA XD-S or a Glock 26/27.

Don't forget some 33 round mags. (the fun sticks) That's one of the best things about the G19. I need to get some 17 round mags for mine too. I would love to get an XDM at some point, but I really do love my Glock. :woot:

My next hand gun purchase will be either a S&W Shield, a SA XD-S or a Glock 26/27.

I'm looking at the Ruger LCP or LC9 for concealed carry but I like the S&W Sheild too. I found the XDS doesn't fit in my hand as nicely as the others.

Nice thing about the Glock 26 is that you can use the same mags, I think. It'll be a while before I get the G19 as they're out of stock and on back-order. That's fine as I'm in no rush and have my .45ACP and .357Mag to play with, and my .22 if I can find ammo.

I'm looking at the Ruger LCP or LC9 for concealed carry but I like the S&W Sheild too. I found the XDS doesn't fit in my hand as nicely as the others.

Nice thing about the Glock 26 is that you can use the same mags, I think. It'll be a while before I get the G19 as they're out of stock and on back-order. That's fine as I'm in no rush and have my .45ACP and .357Mag to play with, and my .22 if I can find ammo.

Make sure you try the triggers on the LC9, LC380 or LCP before buying. I've heard they are some of the worst triggers out there. There are some fixes for them, but they look complicated.

Check out the Walther PPS and the Kahr PM9 also.

I hated the sights on the LCP. They are almost non-existent. Hard to acquire target quickly. I changed to the Diamondback DB9 as my ultra compact pocket carry.

Thanks for the heads up. All of these double action triggers feel crude next to my single action Target grade ones. However, the Glock seemed to be one of the better and the S&W not far behind and tied with SA.

Troy, I'll let you know when my friend is having a shoot fest at his farm in Fairmount which is near Homer between Champaign and Danville. Take a ride up and have a blast. (last 1/4 mile is on gravel.)

AmmoMan has tons of ammo today, I just did another 3000 rnds of Ruski stuff as it will dry up soon so they say, so get some :sport12:

Used my $ point to boot.

Nice, My buddy got the 9. We went shooting after he'd shot a few hundered in it. I shot it, but wouldn't let the slide fly closed after a new mag was loaded ? I said this thing is broke, it was, it never clicked to him ?

Does yours work wright, they had it about 3 months to fix it.

Did you get the 9mm or the .40 cal? I've considered one, but I don't like the thumb safety for a self defense gun. I emailed S&W and they said they have no plans to offer a version with out a safety. That seems odd since there seems to be some demand for that and they offer their other M&P lines with out a safety. I've thought it was a comfortable gun to hold. Congrats on the new gun.

Back