First Hand Gun

I keep leaning to the LC9 Ruger for every day concealed. Any thoughts??

I am actually thinking about upgrading to the LC9 from the LCP but mainly because of the sights. They are almost non-existent on the LCP and hard to re-acquire target. My other concern are with recoil. The LCP is only a 380 and kicks pretty good because the gun has almost no mass at all. This can be a problem because if you even slightly limp wrist the gun it may not feed the next round. That problem, I expect, will be amplified with 9mm. You really have to put a death grip on these pocket pistols.
Also looking at Berretta Nano and Diamondback DB9 as potential replacements for the LCP.

Last edited:
The other gun that caught my eye is the Colt New Agent. A bit bigger than the LC9, and a 45 - but it is compact, light and really good feel I want to try to shoot one asap. Rail-sight instead - very sleek look.

Colt New Agent® Series

of course a big attraction to the LC9 is price. 1/2 the price of the colt....

The other gun that caught my eye is the Colt New Agent. A bit bigger than the LC9, and a 45 - but it is compact, light and really good feel I want to try to shoot one asap. Rail-sight instead - very sleek look.

Colt New Agent® Series

of course a big attraction to the LC9 is price. 1/2 the price of the colt....

Yeah, I personally cannot justify the expense of $1K + hand guns when there are so many that shoot well and are supremely accurate around $500 and less. That will change when and if disposable income allows me to start collecting.

Sent from my iPhone

Yeah, I personally cannot justify the expense of $1K + hand guns when there are so many that shoot well and are supremely accurate around $500 and less. That will change when and if disposable income allows me to start collecting.

Sent from my iPhone

I can appreciate that sentiment - then again, I don't plan to buy/sell like a collector friend of mine (who obviously has a lot more disposable income). My thought is instead of buying more than one pistol, just get one for carry and home. And the 1911 all-metal hardware is so dependable too. I'm waffling on the idea of the light-weight alloy all-metal, or the 1/2 plastic superlight...

Half-price is pretty attractive though...

To many choices!

Guys,
I have both the LCP and the LC9.
Hail, I agree with you about the LCP kick. It is substantial... even though it is "only a .380". But the limp wrist thing being a problem -- I haven't seen that. I've had no failures with the gun at the range - nor has it had a failure with two different women shooting it. Both women were new to shooting and one was very small girl. One of those women even bought one for herself - even though she already owned a Smith Airweight 38 snubnose.

The LC9 is a very nice shooter. It's recoil is noticeably lighter than the LCP. I have 38 snubnose too and it's kick is substantial. Of them all, the LC9 is the softest and is my favorite gun to shoot at the range. The LC9 is larger than the LCP, though.

But of the four conceal carry guns I have to chose from, the one that I almost always take with me is the LCP. It conceals so well. I use a leather back pocket holster. I even goes in dress pants.
One of the 38's is usually my coat carry gun if I am outside.

Even though I have several excellent holster, both iwb and owb, for the LC9, I have never carried it out of the house. It is just that much larger that I don't want to fuss with it. I do like to shoot it, though.

For me, the carry gun is the gun you will carry. And that seems to be the LCP.

Guys,
I have both the LCP and the LC9.
Hail, I agree with you about the LCP kick. It is substantial... even though it is "only a .380". But the limp wrist thing being a problem -- I haven't seen that. I've had no failures with the gun at the range - nor has it had a failure with two different women shooting it. Both women were new to shooting and one was very small girl. One of those women even bought one for herself - even though she already owned a Smith Airweight 38 snubnose.

The LC9 is a very nice shooter. It's recoil is noticeably lighter than the LCP. I have 38 snubnose too and it's kick is substantial. Of them all, the LC9 is the softest and is my favorite gun to shoot at the range. The LC9 is larger than the LCP, though.

But of the four conceal carry guns I have to chose from, the one that I almost always take with me is the LCP. It conceals so well. I use a leather back pocket holster. I even goes in dress pants.
One of the 38's is usually my coat carry gun if I am outside.

Even though I have several excellent holster, both iwb and owb, for the LC9, I have never carried it out of the house. It is just that much larger that I don't want to fuss with it. I do like to shoot it, though.

For me, the carry gun is the gun you will carry. And that seems to be the LCP.

I should mention that since I have improved my grip (and the LCP getting fully broken in) I have had no feed issues on the LCP. .....and my accuracy has gotten much better as well with all my guns. Did you buy your LCP new?

I still wish the LCP had better sights. I am thinking about painting something on it.

I also carry the LCP everywhere I go. I bought a nice leather pocket holster that is hand made right here in Texas.
pocketholsters

I did not realize the LC9 was that much bigger.

I bought my first handgun about 25 years ago. It was a Ruger redhawk in 44 Magnum. Damn near tore my arm off. Went right out and bought another one so I could have two! One thing led to another...1911's, revolvers, EAA's...started reloading....began competing in IPSC, USPSA, NRA Action, PPC...casting bullets...Mill and lathe....shotguns...AR's, etc. Wheeee! While I have been riding much longer, firearms have been the best hobby I have ever had.

Acquired my first one today - Colt 45 New Agent. I'll advise further if it blows my hand off! :noworries:

It's a compact 1911. Rail sight. Zombie-killer ammo.

Nobody better lay a hand on my Butterfinger! LOL
lolup

Acquired my first one today - Colt 45 New Agent. I'll advise further if it blows my hand off! :noworries:

It's a compact 1911. Rail sight. Zombie-killer ammo.

Nobody better lay a hand on my Butterfinger! LOL
lolup

Curious how this sight is shooting!
newagentsightsontarget.jpg

My goal is that accuracy or better at 15 yards - but I'll start at 7 and see where that leads me. You place the target centered just below the base of the channel on this sight - according to the book. We'll see! So, getting the zombie's eyes directly at the top of the channel will blow his head clean off!

Back