First Hand Gun

I have had a few Glock's and a few Beretta's now I carry a S&W M&P 40 it has a nice feel, and is a smooth shooting gun. For home protection I have a wheel gun 38 snub nose S&W air weight.

Nice gun, haven't shot one before. I'm biased though, I worked for Dennis Reese )the owner of Springfield Armory) and became friends with his son. So 75% of what I've shot they made, 100% of what I own they made.

Hail -
At least part of your concern seems to be your wife - and her acceptance. An interesting approach to this is to involve her with guns.
Suggest that the two of you go to a gun range - rent a gun - and teach her to shoot, if she doesn't already know how. (You could take a course together, too.)
Often what happens is that the wife (or girl friend) likes what she learned - it boosts her ego to overcome a fear of guns and likely she will end up being a better shooter than you. She is now hooked.
No more problem. She will want a gun - her own gun. And possible more guns.

I'm going to suggest that you start with a revolver because they are so very simple and reliable - no racking of slides - no potential stovepipes - no potential jams to learn to clear. Very easy to understand. Very easy to unload. Very easy to tell if they are loaded.
Just pull the trigger and it goes "bang". Very simple.

I'm speaking from close personal experience that this scenario works.

I personally like the Springfield Armory XD has good safety features and a single action trigger pull. I shoot 45 ACP. If you are looking for a home defense weapon I use a 12 Gauge short barrel shotgun with low recoil double ought buckshot. And of course if there is a zombie invasion my Colt Hbar M4 carbine in 5.56 Nato. lol :sinister:

View attachment 11480

Hail -
At least part of your concern seems to be your wife - and her acceptance. An interesting approach to this is to involve her with guns.
Suggest that the two of you go to a gun range - rent a gun - and teach her to shoot, if she doesn't already know how. (You could take a course together, too.)
Often what happens is that the wife (or girl friend) likes what she learned - it boosts her ego to overcome a fear of guns and likely she will end up being a better shooter than you. She is now hooked.

I'm going to suggest that you start with a revolver because they are so very simple and reliable - no racking of slides - no potential stovepipes - no potential jams to learn to clear. Very easy to understand. Very easy to unload. Very easy to tell if they are loaded.

Mosty of that was in jest. The part she needs to accept is spending $500 on a new gun that I don't NEED. :) But you are right! I need to get her out to the range.

She went to the trap range with me and shot a gun for the first time in her life two weekends ago. She did great. I gave her my safety speech at the beginning where I showed her how to safely handle the shotgun and proper ettiquette. I never had to repeat myself. She never hit a clay but she did everything I told her to do including opening the action and applyuing th safety before she came down from the shooting station. That to me was more important than whether she hit anything on her first outing.

That 12 guage was to big for her tiny frame and she mentioned that day that she would rather shoot a hand gun. She thought she would have more control over it.

This is my favorite carry pistol. About $400

EAA_Carry.JPG

They just feel right.

see EAA Corp.- European American Armory Corporation under Hand Guns, Witness Poly, Carry

I have shot both and owned an original Glock. The Beretta is definitely smoother, but the Glock was less expensive. In addition, the Glock was lighter on fully extended arms, so you could target practice all day without fatigue. The Beretta was noticeably heavier.

I also liked having the latest technology back in 1990. Not only was the glock trick, you could abuse it and neglect it and it still fired reliably.

I have found that it takes a heavy slide to get a smooth shooting gun. The heaver the slide is, the lighter the springs can be as you have the mass to counteract the recoil. Heavy springs on guns with small slides make for a gun that is difficult to handle in cold weather situations. The ability to unlock the gun in the dark and cold can mean the difference between life and death. Bad guys never like to give you time to unlock the gun. With the EAAs, the safety is the rest for your right thumb. Your left thumb locates on the slide lock.

SDC11123.jpg

Beast

Last edited:
I have never shot an EEA. That looks like a cool gun. The safety kind of reminds me of the Walther P99. I like the way those 2 gun makers put the safety by your thumb. That is a good idea.

imagesqtbnANd9GcQTLTQ9CUi5eBFQxBS40LMYFV9RlQmQH6TdZBlEIGf35GsCtT-Y.jpg

Here is my EAA Witness Match set up for racing except for it is not ported. Far from a great carry gun but if you want to poke tight pattern holes in paper....

ScopeMount4.JPG

The way cool single action trigger of this Match grade pistol will go right into the Carry version but the factory is quite reluctant to install a 3 lb trigger in a gun that is seldom used for racing.

Beast

I was interested in home safety and began looking at handguns and almost bought one several times. I decided that a shotgun had some advantages over a handgun for home defense and ended up going with a Winchester 1300 12 guage; I had the barrel cut down. I have a friend that shoots some trap out at a range east of town and went with him. Of course the shorter barrel was not very effective for shooting trap so I started looking for an additional barrel for the gun and ended up finding a whole gun of the same model for cheaper than the barrels were going for on ebay. My wife was totally against even touching the gun but after taking her out to shoot trap she kind of enjoys it. Because she is only 5'2" the gun is a little big for her. I am eventually going to get a handgun but it may be a while.

Hail -

Hail,
TO expand on my experience just a little. My female friend was afraid of guns a little over a year ago. I had showed her some of mine - but still fear. I took her shooting - taught her to shoot - with a rented 38 revolver and a Ruger Mk III 22. She learned quickly, loved it - became very good after a few sessions.
Took her to some gun shows. She bought an old Colt Trooper 357. Excellent gun! She and I took the concealed carry class - she out-shot me! We used a rented Mark III again for the class - it did so well for both of use. (I have since bought one)

She decided she wanted a concealed oriented gun. Bought a Smith Airweight 38 revolver. After some time she decided the revolver was too bulky - she then copied me - and bought a Ruger LCP 380. She likes that for carry. Takes it places often - makes her feel safer. She is a single working girl (nurse) and is out in different places often.

But wait - there's more!! She recently bought an M&P 22 as a target practice gun! This girl now owns four guns - and she is good with them!! Before she was afraid of guns. It has really helped her esteem. She came from a long bad marriage - married to a bad and crooked cop. Lots of abuse... She's recovering. It's a good story.

Last edited:
The Glock 19 is a rock solid handgun-great choice for a first handgun. They are easy to load and shoot, reliable, and easy to clean.

If it is a carry pistol to fit under your coat or sport jacket I like the Sig Sauer P239 in .40 caliber.

If it is to carry in your blue jeans pocket I like the 5 shot .38 Special S&W revolver.

If it is for home defense I like a short barrel 12 gage 5 shot pump with 00 buck.

I have had a Remington 870 with a short Mossberg barrel for home defense. Kept the original Remington barrel for sporting clays. I use a specific(expensive) home defense round in it. Hopefully I never need to buy more. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have three Gen III glocks at 40, 9 and a smaller 9. No problems with them so far. Easy to break down and clean, too. Not had any experience with Gen IV's. I do lust after the S&W M&P series, though.:drools:

Just remembered I have my father in law's old 22 revolver here at the house. This will be a perfect gun for my wife to shoot. It probably has not been shot in over 20 years. I did a full cleaning and lube. Other than some of the paint being rubbed off it is actually in great shape. I am going to take it to the range next weekend and make sure it is still ok.

Back