First FZ1 Ride 350 miles (need a new seat, help!)

Hello- Just Bought my first FZ1 a couple of weeks ago in the Minneapolis/St. Paul. Finally got ride it for the first time on Saturday. rode it 50 miles or so going up and down the gears to accommodate the break in period. It was about 50 degrees F, so it was a little chilly, but I had my Scorpion leggings and Jacket. Brought it back to the apartment complex where my gf lives. My plan was to drive it back to Ironwood (UP of Michigan, where I live) on Easter b/c the weather was suppose to be 60 and sunny. So I woke up on easter a little later than I wanted and started on my journey to my moms house ( eau Claire, WI ). Can't tell you how long it took, but it couldn't have been more than an hour or so of riding, but my arse just started getting sore. I also had a backpack on which was very uncomfortable during the ride.

I ate dinner at my moms and then journeyed on home. ended up stopping about 3 more time to give my but a break. I figure that if I want to continue seeing my gf on bike taking 3.5/4 hour trips I'll need a new seat. SO, any suggestions on what seat to go with. Do the after market seats even make much of a difference? Let me know what you have and how it works for you. I'm not worried about price since I don't really feel the need to add HP to the already satisfying stock output, and the fact that comfort will make my trips go by much faster.

thanks in advance

Hello- Just Bought my first FZ1 a couple of weeks ago in the Minneapolis/St. Paul. Finally got ride it for the first time on Saturday. rode it 50 miles or so going up and down the gears to accommodate the break in period. It was about 50 degrees F, so it was a little chilly, but I had my Scorpion leggings and Jacket. Brought it back to the apartment complex where my gf lives. My plan was to drive it back to Ironwood (UP of Michigan, where I live) on Easter b/c the weather was suppose to be 60 and sunny. So I woke up on easter a little later than I wanted and started on my journey to my moms house ( eau Claire, WI ). Can't tell you how long it took, but it couldn't have been more than an hour or so of riding, but my arse just started getting sore. I also had a backpack on which was very uncomfortable during the ride.

I ate dinner at my moms and then journeyed on home. ended up stopping about 3 more time to give my but a break. I figure that if I want to continue seeing my gf on bike taking 3.5/4 hour trips I'll need a new seat. SO, any suggestions on what seat to go with. Do the after market seats even make much of a difference? Let me know what you have and how it works for you. I'm not worried about price since I don't really feel the need to add HP to the already satisfying stock output, and the fact that comfort will make my trips go by much faster.

thanks in advance

Well that didn't take long lol. The standard seat sux, doesn't it?
Yes an aftermarket or modified seat is much better.
Personally I have sent my seat off to a local seat upholsterer and he replaced the foam with a firmer foam and reshaped it a little and my seat is 100% better now.
(For the Aussie fellas, his name is John Moorhouse Ergo seats 0419730589)

A lot of guys buy Sargent seats or Top Saddlery seats (do a few searches) but they are pretty expensive.

Lots of after market seats out there, won't know how comfortable till after you buy one, or try someone elses. I also have a local guy that builds custom seats. Check around your local bike shops, and see who people are using. Stock seat sucks, but how do you feel about the stock bike?

I bought a Sargent as they don't use your pan so I still have the stock seat and it was quicker to get than the Top Saddlery (perhaps the better seat for really long days)
I found the stock seat pushed me into the tank too much whereas the Sargent is more dished to nullify this problem. The Sargent isn't real padded but big Jim and the Twins plus my back are happier.
Here's a comparison picture with the Sargent and stock seat. I am happy so far with 6k miles on the seat it looks new.

Sargentseat7-10006.jpg

Sargentseat7-10010-1.jpg

Here's the Sargent on Frank.

Sargentseat7-10002-1.jpg

150 miles on the stock seat and I was done, now I can do 350 before I am toast. My FJR is good for 600 miles a day with a Rick Mayer seat but the wind protection really helps with the Feejeer.

It may be worth a try to talk to a local upholsterer first if you are really budget minded.

I rode the East side of Lake Mi and up to Copper Harbor plus a stay in Ironwood on the way to Duluth a few years back on a Wing. Man their is some nice riding up there!

I changed my seat out before I got a thousand miles on my fz so I know what you mean. If you want to go the inexpensive way I bought a Yamaha comfort gel seat. Works great for me, other people don't like it to much but 5000+ miles on it and butt still can go a couple of tanks before I start to get sore. As for the backpack, check out bugout gear. The have packs that you can put almost a weeks worth of clothing in and has is own frame that isn't visible. It helps distribute weight more evenly across your whole body instead of just your shoulders. Congrats on the purchace, have fun and ride safe.

I tired a Yamaha gel seat hated it,Sargent hated it then the cheapest option Flash Intro Page I sent the seat on a monday had it back on Friday it is not %100 but it is a vast improvement over stock.He uses your stock cover and go for the LD upgrade If I remember total cost was 100 including shipping both ways.My seat has been on for 1 year and I have logged about 11k miles with it. I would reccomend this to anyone b4 spending mega bucks on other brands.The one thing is you have to call him first to let him know how and when your seat is being sent as he works on a very tight schedule

I live in Jacksonville where Sargent is located so I had them build me a custom seat using my seat pan and I love it. They do quality work and at a fair price.

Topsellerie has my vote too. Not as much wiggle room as stock but, to me anyways it feels like it was made to sit on. ]
FZ1inNH is who I decided to follow when I was in your position
DSC02575.jpg

Last edited:
As for the backpack. The triangular hole in the back of the passenger foot rest is there to strap stuff down and towel to keep the bungee from rubben the paint , works good if you ride solo and is the cheapest way to keep the backpack or what ever on the bike

Yeah the sticker is terrible. Another option is taking your pans to a local auto uphostrey shop. They can add firmer foam and contour it to you. I did that with my Corbins, was about $90 each. I had them covered with nonslip marine vynl.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

Corbin

Corbins can be bought for $259 shipped (pilot only). I've had corbins on all my bikes. Tried a Sargent out once and it was too soft for me. Just ordered a Corbin last night for my new FZ! I'll keep ya'll posted after my first impressions.:)

A new seat and a windscreen are always my first priority with a new bike. The rest is just for looks and can be done later.....I just happen to be doing all mine at once this time around.

Choppastyle.

First off, I'd like to thank you all for your input. It's nice to be able to ask riders at the drop of a hat what works and what doesn't. It saves me from having to hear sales people tell me lies.

So I researched a little and I ordered a Sargent Seat. It takes a couple of weeks it says but there is a 30 day money back guarantee. I'm going to ride it back to the gf's house and get the first service for it done, and if I don't like it I'll send it back and probably try the Top Saddlery seat. 300 mile trips is the most I really see myself having time for, so if it works out I'll keep it.

Thanks for the backpack idea's too. I'll probably just bungee it. If i'm carrying a load I'll be flying solo so that's probably a good way to go.

As far as how I liked the stock bike- besides the seat, I LOVED it. I know it will be a little more fun after the break in period but it was a fun bike. much better than the previous '86 600. Obviously, there are always a couple of cosmetics that can be changed to be a little more visually appealing but the people that don't own the bikes probably don't notice the difference.

Also, don't know if I should make this a separate thread or not-

Did anyone (if you bought brand new/had less than 10 miles on it) check the oil level when they got the bike? I don't know if it's a break in thing or what, but when i put it on the center stand about an hour away I took a look at the oil window and it appeared to be overfilled. I know the oil should be about halfway through the window but it wasn't. It was just over the top of the window. Any thoughts on this?:wtf:

btw. it was 63 here yesterday, green grass, great day for riding....work 11-9.
today.... winter storm warning... and now 5" of snow on the ground. Not a good start for the riding season.

I've slightly overfilled mine on accident before. I took my MityVac and pulled out the correct amount to meet the high mark on the window. There is a low and high mark on the glass. :D

If it is slightly over, I wouldn't sweat it. If you put the bike on the side stand on level ground, where is it? If it is still at the low mark or above on the side stand, you may want to pull some out of it. Or, just change it anyway. I changed mine after the first 79 miles (bought new with zero miles) because of the way I break in a bike. :tup:

During my 3000+ mile trip last July.....by the time I hit Missoula my ass hurt so bad I had to do something. I stopped at a Harley shop and picked up a gel pad, which helped (slightly!). I think my butt was too numb for anything to help. I finished up doing 1100+ miles the last two days...... I've got an appointment, w/Russell's June 10. Since I'm only 150 miles from their shop, I'll ride over, have 'em build a 'custom sport' seat and ride off into the sunset w/a happy butt!

Top Sellerie

For those of you with the Saddlerey seat, How much was it?

Lots. There are always some premade seats for less than $300 plus shipping. Go to the Top Sellerie site and enter your make of bike; they will prompt you immediately with premade seats (right now 186 Euros for FZ1). If you want a custom seat (in my case extra padding, plus gel, plus extra long driver's seat), bring money. With shipping (they used their pan instead of rebulding mine) it cost a little under $600. Can't remember the number right now.

Worth it? Hell, yes!

Topsellerie has my vote too. Not as much wiggle room as stock but, to me anyways it feels like it was made to sit on. ]
FZ1inNH is who I decided to follow when I was in your position
DSC02575.jpg

Hi papaageorgio, that is one hell of a sexy FZ1 seat. I like my stock seat eventhow I have YAMAHA Gell seat.

Back