Finished the ring dinger..finally

jwhelan65

Here she is..me 1970 Yamaha R5 350 two stroker...ring da ding dinggg..What a fun ride and no worries about mosquitoes..shes a smoker :Rockon:

Carbs cleaned and rebuilt
New points and condensor
New points cam
New plugs
New UNI air filter
New tires
New battery
New cables
Fresh gas and oil ines
a few cosmetic pieces
Still looking for mirrors

Oh and she is for sale...she runs like a champ!!!

IMG_3214.jpg

IMG_3211.jpg

IMG_3212.jpg

IMG_3225.jpg

IMG_3230.jpg

IMG_3209.jpg

IMG_3201.jpg

Great job!

Oh man! I remember wanting one of those bikes growing up. I love those "smokers" and the power band is awesome! There is something about the 2 stroke sound too ...

Very nice!

Here's my smokers. :Rockon:

1976 RD400 - circa 1985, I was about 21 years old and wanted to be Kenny Roberts sooo bad. Note the classy Yellow rattle can paint job. Why, oh why didn't I leave it the stock orange paint??? youth... This bike was NOT smoking hot back in 1985 in the track, slow and kinda heavy, even then.

View attachment 4314

1984 gray market RZ350 from Canada. This was my first "real" race bike, SMOKIN' fast!. At the now defunct Second Creek Raceway in Denver that puppy hit an indicated 140 down the Banzai straight. After seeing that I pitted and immediately taped the speedo over!

View attachment 4315

A SMOKIN' hot reporter in Romania back in 2005. Nice dog huh? :wilynily:

View attachment 4313

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments guys...

Thought you all might appreciate this. I went yesterday to check out a local Vintage show here in Dallas and at the last minute decided to take the R5 and the 700es for kicks. I had no intentions of entering , really just wanted to see if there were any GS fans there to chat with.

As I start unloading the bikes there, the ring leader of this event directs me to a table where they talk me into entering both bikes. So what the hell, I sit back for a few hours eat a couple hotdogs and wait for it to end so I can get back home for some stuff the wife had planned.

Near the end of the show I get approached by someone interested in buying the R5, he looks it over for a few minutes and says what is your price? I tell him my price and he says I have cash in my pocket today...at that precise moment they walk over and slap the winning ribbon on my bike in the Vintage Yamaha catagory...:eek:

Needless to say I went home with a little trophy, a pocket full of $100 bills, and no R5..:D

Last edited:

Thought you all might appreciate this. I went yesterday to check out a local Vintage show here in Dallas and at the last minute decided to take the R5 and the 700es for kicks. I had no intentions of entering , really just wanted to see if there were any GS fans there to chat with.

As I start unloading the bikes there, the ring leader of this event directs me to a table where they talk me into entering both bikes. So what the hell, I sit back for a few hours eat a couple hotdogs and wait for it to end so I can get back home for some stuff the wife had planned.

Near the end of the show I get approached by someone interested in buying the R5, he looks it over for a few minutes and says what is your price? I tell him my price and he says I have cash in my pocket today...at that precise moment they walk over and slap the winning ribbon on my bike in the Vintage Yamaha catagory...:eek:

Needless to say I went home with a little trophy, a pocket full of $100 bills, and no R5..:D

Surely that ribbon sealed the deal :D Good to hear things worked out well for you. Needless to say, I guess now you're looking for your next project!

Hey that is great news! So what's the next project???

Very nice Joe! But, you should have waited just a bit longer... until after the ribbons were awarded. That ribbon should have added to the asking price. ;)

Nice stuff and I'm even MORE interested in the outcome of that Suzuki now! :D

There was a time I had a stable of two strokers, three H1 Kawai's, two RD's, and a Titan 500. Of all of them, the RD's were by far the fiercest of the bunch considering the weight, size and power. Most of the herd had either 'pipes' or other mods, the Kows didnt handle very well however, the Titan was ok, but the RD's was where it was at. Spec. II is the company for these bikes, with a plethora of go-fast things.
You'll be sorry down the road if you sell it, mark my words.......................don't do it..!!

There was a time I had a stable of two strokers, three H1 Kawai's, two RD's, and a Titan 500. Of all of them, the RD's were by far the fiercest of the bunch considering the weight, size and power. Most of the herd had either 'pipes' or other mods, the Kows didnt handle very well however, the Titan was ok, but the RD's was where it was at. Spec. II is the company for these bikes, with a plethora of go-fast things.
You'll be sorry down the road if you sell it, mark my words.......................don't do it..!!

Yeah I know but its already sold...I have too many bikes need to move a few along unfortunately. Can't ride them all.

Anyone still looking for an RD400- 1979 Daytona Edition?

It's funny my dad just bought a 1979 RD400 about 1 year ago and now he's looking to sell it. I don't have any pics here of it but it's White and it's a Daytona edition. Runs great and looks like it did the day it came off the showroom floor. Even the exhaust is original and looks new:eek5:. he want's 5 g's for it. Just Thought I would throw that out there on the forum.

Back