Finding Engine & Frame Numbers

Hi,
I just received a letter from my Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) saying that I can't register my 2001 FZ1 (purchased in September) because I don't have the correct Engine and Frame Numbers on my application. I have the correct VIN. Can someone please tell me where to look to find these numbers. Thanks, Minus800

For the engine number, there will be a part of the engine that has a long rectangular (maybe 2"?, and less than half an inch tall) spot on the right rear (I think.) It will be pretty low and close to the frame where it protects the engine.

As far as the frame number, it will be stamped somewhere on the frame, and likely in an inconspicuous place...you still should be able to see it without removing any bodywork. As you can tell by my description, I am not 100% certain where it is on the bike. But it will be actually stamped into the metal...much like the stamping done on the engine.

Look around, you'll find the appropriate numbers. Hope this helps.

Isn't your VIN written or typed on the title that the previous owner gave to you?? Just copy it from there.

OP needs frame and engine numbers. Not exactly sure where they are on the Gen I but on Gen II engine number is on the right side down by the oil pan, next to the sight glass. Frame number is on the back side of the frame, behind the engine, viewable from the left side of the bike from the rear. Take a flashlight and take a look, your's will probably be in the same place.

Last edited:
OP needs frame and engine numbers. Not exactly sure where they are on the Gen I but on Gen II engine number is on the right side down by the oil pan, next to the sight glass. Frame number is on the back side of the frame, behind the engine, viewable from the left side of the bike from the rear. Take a flashlight and take a look, your's will probably be in the same place.

Geez! They are really stringent out there. Here in NYS you only bring the title with you to the DMV and Bill of Sale. Engine and frame numbers never get used in the transaction. You write in the VIN from the title and thats all.

engine number is on the right side down by the oil pan, next to the sight glass.

^^^^
Same place on a Gen I

The VIN is stamped into the steering neck of the frame. Wasn't aware the frame had a different number than the VIN :confused0024: but then I never needed to know what it was.

Thanks for the help, but I need more!

First, thanks to Evitzee for your post and I looked for the engine number and found one - the same one that I had already given to DMV and they say its not the one they have in their records. What do I do now? I know that's the engine number, so either the DMV is wrong or my bike got a new engine and I'm buddies with the seller and know that didn't happen. Any suggestions, anyone???

Second, I can't find the frame number. Does anyone have any specific directions of where to look to this? Please!!!

Lastly, the VIN is good. I've had that all along and its easy to find. I guess the MN DMV is a bit more strict than most because it wants these extra numbers, then it won't tell you what they are, you have to match them.

Gggrrrrr, red tape who needs it?

Minus800

Thanks for the help, but I need more!

First, thanks to Evitzee for your post and I looked for the engine number and found one - the same one that I had already given to DMV and they say its not the one they have in their records. What do I do now? I know that's the engine number, so either the DMV is wrong or my bike got a new engine and I'm buddies with the seller and know that didn't happen. Any suggestions, anyone???

Second, I can't find the frame number. Does anyone have any specific directions of where to look to this? Please!!!

Lastly, the VIN is good. I've had that all along and its easy to find. I guess the MN DMV is a bit more strict than most because it wants these extra numbers, then it won't tell you what they are, you have to match them.

Gggrrrrr, red tape who needs it?

Minus800

The engine number should match the last few digits of the VIN number from what I have seen so it's easy enough to verify if that's the original engine or not. Sorry I can't help with the frame number. I wasn't aware that there was any other number stamped on the frame (other than the VIN number). Here in NJ all they care about is the tittle and the VIN number.

Back