Finding cause of Error 1. Short circuit?

I just bought a 2007 FZ1, beautiful condition... except it isn't running. When I turn on the key the check engine light is on, the temp light is on, and it reads Err_1. I looked around for any issues that I could find, and eventually tried disconnecting the power commander system that the last owner had in place. After disconnecting it, I stopped having Err_1, and instead just got the error from the sensors which were disconnected. I tried plugging the wire harnesses back together, bypassing the power commander, but Error 1 came back again. (Note: in the service manual, 8-31, this wire harness is connected to sub-wire harness 1).

From what I read on other threads, Error 1 is caused by shorts. Is that correct? What is the easiest way to check for shorts, besides unwrapping a mountain of electrical tape? I included a picture of the plug for reference. The two plugs coming in from the right and splitting are coming from the power commander unit.

I'm really looking forward to getting the bike running, and this is the only obvious problem it's having. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

Edit: Added picture of the error code.

Attachments

• 87804615_2669099969869018_4234450657043546112_n.jpg
    87804615_2669099969869018_4234450657043546112_n.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 87556491_229978891504272_8810305262263992320_n.jpg
    87556491_229978891504272_8810305262263992320_n.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Electrical issues are the worst problems you could have. I hope to God that you paid a good price for it since it can take a fair amount of troubleshooting to find the culprit. Did the previous owner tell you that the bike was running previously? I would start looking at fuses first and foremost. Then disconnect each harness, clean the plugs thoroughly and apply some dielectric grease and reconnect. Also, find out if the bike was running okay with the Power Commander installed. Are there any aftermarket turn signals, headlights, power adapters, battery charger cables installed? Rule out all the simple things first. After all the easy things check out okay, I would bring it to a knowledgeable shop and have a qualified tech look at it. Trust me as I went through an electrical issue when I had my GenI and chased it for two weeks straight. I finally broke down and got it to a shop and it was fixed in less than ten minutes as God is my witness. Had I brought it immediately after it got the issue I would have been back on the road in one day. Let us know what you find out. Oh, and welcome to the Forum!

A good price always depends on how much work it takes to get running. I paid $1200, and it's got 15000 miles and appears in spotless condition besides the wiring.

Yes, previous owner said the bike was running previously. I checked the fuses first. It does have a lot of aftermarket little things like that installed, rear brake, turn signals, license light... I'm going to check continuity between the ecu and the plug that gives the error when I plug it in, and hopefully I'll find something. I'll report back if I do.

Thanks for the welcome and the advice.

No problem at all. It's a pleasure to actually get some interaction on the board here as of late. Postings have been far and few between. Hopefully as Spring gets here we'll have more to talk about here on the board. I hope you get it sorted out.

So I narrowed it down to somewhere between the intake air pressure sensor and the ECU. When I unplug the sensor I don't get error 1, instead I get 13, which is the intake air pressure sensor error. I'm about to head back out and check continuity between it and the ECU to see if there's a problem along there, and if it's not then I'll probably clean out the sensor or buy a new one. Since there are only 3 wires coming from the sensor I can check for any shorts or breaks quickly.

Okay, disconnected the intake air pressure sensor and the power commander and it started up. Probably need a new sensor, but I'll drive it for a bit with it just disconnected. Might also check the software on the power commander to see if it's possible to reconnect it. Thinking that it might have more problems because of the disconnected sensor than the ECU does.

Back