Finally tried a crossplane R1...

I've seen some videos of the AFM and some of the really fast guys are throwing down 1:46's which is right about the track record for liter bikes.

Yup I've seen that. It all depends on when you go though. On a race weekend I'd go B group. On a more average track day I'd probably be sitting towards the bottom of A or top of B.

That was my very first track day. I was very comfortable around the 2:10 range, but when my instructor saw I was doing fine and pushed up the pace to the low 2 range, I made the mistake of trying to keep up with a seasoned racer and ended up crashing. The FZ was great and had plenty of power to pass any 600 and even a few slower guys on liter bikes. I had Vortex rearsets raised all the way up, so the next thing to drag was my kickstand on the left side (which I should've taken off). I crashed because I dragged it too hard in turn 8. But of course the reason I dragged it is because I turned in too late and took too wide of a line.

On a side note, I talked to a guy at the June 2 DR open track day who was also on a black 07 with PR3's over by Dave Moss's area. Did that happen to be you?

No I went on August 22. Wasn't as fast as you by the sounds of things. I wasn't able to do consistent 10s but a high 10 was my best for the day. Definitely got me interested in track days. Sucks about your crash.

Not sure how much touring of nocal you've done but should go for a ride sometime. The Oroville Quincy Laport route is pure heaven for bigger sportier bikes at a spirited pace.

No I went on August 22. Wasn't as fast as you by the sounds of things. I wasn't able to do consistent 10s but a high 10 was my best for the day. Definitely got me interested in track days. Sucks about your crash.

Not sure how much touring of nocal you've done but should go for a ride sometime. The Oroville Quincy Laport route is pure heaven for bigger sportier bikes at a spirited pace.

When I crashed I didn't get hurt at all and insurance paid me out enough to buy a Tuono V4, so it all worked out! I have done a 3 day trip more up north with my dad and rode some great roads including the route you described. I'm lucky though that I live close to the most racetrack-like road in the bay area, Skaggs.

Back