Finally tried a crossplane R1...

here's where i disagree with ya, it still makes a much better track bike than the fz1 lol, especially if both have been flashed with stock everything else. guy that owns it, needs to send his ecu to get flashed, obviously i recommend 2 Wheel DynoWorks because Nels has developed flashes for the R1's and most of them are racebikes aka dealing with the pickiest of the picky as far as making sure its a smooth powerful tune goes. it will turn that guys disappointment into a huge smile.

also the 14 is a fun bike at the track, it is heavy and just kinda goes where it wants to so you have to adjust your lines a bit haha

the closest to out of the box performance ready is the gsxr1000 and cbr1000 because they're the least limited by software, where as the R1 and ZX-10R, any Ducati or KTM, all are hit very hard by the software restrictions

Don't forget the gsxr 750 ;-)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

So I test rode the R1 again made sure traction control was off. Still pretty disappointing. Definitely not what I would want in a supersport bike.

I had a ZX10 come in for some work, that's much more the type power delivery I'd want out of a 1000 cc supersport I don't know for sure what the gearing on it was but it was much quicker than the R1 for sure and I rolled to about half throttle in 2nd and pulled the front. The R1 you had to try get the front up.
I'd take a ZX10 over an R1 any day and I really really like my which would lead me to stick with Yamaha.

I have a friend with a '09 R1 and '12 ZX10. He bought the ZX10 cause he too was disappointed with the R1. I haven't ridden the R1, but the ZX10 with -1/+1 sprockets is damn fast! It's putting 180 horses to the rear wheel and you can just feel that the bike really wants to take off like a rocket ship. That being said, I'll still take my Tuono or even my old FZ over a bike with clip ons any day for the street, even though I'm 20 years old. To me, clip ons only have the advantage of body positioning when you are in high speed sweepers, and only once you are already in the corner. Bikes with handlebars are much easier to toss around into the corner and much comfier. Throw the same rider on a nicely modded FZ1 and an R1 on a really tight road and the FZ1 will walk all over the R1. I think the only place an R1 is truly faster than an FZ1 is the track. First thing I noticed when I first rode a sportbike (GSXR 600) was that it required about the same turn in effort as my FZ1 and I could barely make a u-turn. It may be lighter, but the lack of leverage cancels that out.

Last edited:
Thing for me is my FZ1 was my first bike that I feel so used to the position like it's totally natural. To me, riding an SS feels good when I'm in the corner hanging off, but it feels awkward for me any other time. I can keep up with any SS on the street, in fact most can't keep up with me, and on the track I was passing tons of people. For a track only bike though I'd like an R6, CBR600 or Daytona 675. Obviously I'd have an RSV4 sitting next to my Tuono if I had the funds lol

I wouldn't be too sure about that Crazy.
There was an article in the Aussie magazine AMCN a few years ago that compared a 2010 R1 with a 2010 FZ1 for street riding.
The consensus was that the FZ1 was a better road bike and was just as fast as the R1 in the twisties.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I wouldn't be too sure about that Crazy.
There was an article in the Aussie magazine AMCN a few years ago that compared a 2010 R1 with a 2010 FZ1 for street riding.
The consensus was that the FZ1 was a better road bike and was just as fast as the R1 in the twisties.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I really think handlebars are faster on the street. On the street there's more rapid side to side transitioning. My Tuono is definitely more flickable and easier to toss around than my friend's '12 ZX10 that I recently rode. Here's an old video I posted here before from when I still had my FZ while following a GSXR1000. Not to show an FZ is faster than a SS bike but to show an FZ can easily keep up with a fast SS rider. Just as fast, but comfortable at the same time. Pace picks up more after 1.5 minutes.
[video=youtube_share;qqGpIgA1ldI]http://youtu.be/qqGpIgA1ldI[/video]

The problem with street riding and the idea of 'keeping up' is that it is unbelievably subjective. The riders are 100% of the equation and that makes it unscientific.

Last edited:
The problem with street riding and the idea of 'keeping up' is that it is unbelievably subjective. The riders are 100% of the equation and that makes it unscientific.

Yes that's very true. I usually say its 90% rider and 10% bike. I guess I mean the bike is "good enough" to not be the limiting factor. I think the bike should always have more available ability than the rider. That 10% meaning I wouldn't be able to ride that pace on a Harley cause you'd run out of lean angle or even on the same FZ1 with bad tires.

Yes that's very true. I usually say its 90% rider and 10% bike. I guess I mean the bike is "good enough" to not be the limiting factor. I think the bike should always have more available ability than the rider. That 10% meaning I wouldn't be able to ride that pace on a Harley cause you'd run out of lean angle or even on the same FZ1 with bad tires.

There's a non-subjective measure. What times were you doing at t hill on your fz1.

I looked online and it looks like pros are doing 1:50s on 600s. I saw a video of John Herrin riding Thunderhill on his Graves R6 and a few people mentioned sub-1:49 for him

Not sure if this is accurate

I've seen some videos of the AFM and some of the really fast guys are throwing down 1:46's which is right about the track record for liter bikes.

2:10 is good enough for A group, look at keigwins@the track they have times for different groups for the californian tracks.

Yup I've seen that. It all depends on when you go though. On a race weekend I'd go B group. On a more average track day I'd probably be sitting towards the bottom of A or top of B.

Sweet! Even sweeter if that was your first time there.

Did t hill for the first time this year and had a blast. The fz1 was great, foot pegs were the only real issue I had with the fz1.

That was my very first track day. I was very comfortable around the 2:10 range, but when my instructor saw I was doing fine and pushed up the pace to the low 2 range, I made the mistake of trying to keep up with a seasoned racer and ended up crashing. The FZ was great and had plenty of power to pass any 600 and even a few slower guys on liter bikes. I had Vortex rearsets raised all the way up, so the next thing to drag was my kickstand on the left side (which I should've taken off). I crashed because I dragged it too hard in turn 8. But of course the reason I dragged it is because I turned in too late and took too wide of a line.

On a side note, I talked to a guy at the June 2 DR open track day who was also on a black 07 with PR3's over by Dave Moss's area. Did that happen to be you?

Back